Sorry, But You Can't Call It "Bad Writing"!

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next
07/31/2018 04:56 PMPosted by Funassassin
Not when you see the results from it.

You're honked off!

By the quality of the writing. Not by the content of the writing.

Must Kill Malfurion Stormrage... and walks right by his unconscious body. She wouldn't even have had to break stride to put an arrow through his brain.
Idiot balls and plot armor don't make for a quality story.

You're upset enough to even contemplate not playing your horde toons!

Eh, Draenor did that when it proved that orcs were universally murderous genocidal savages even without the Fel. Yes, even the Frost Wolves, by way of Durotan's brothers/uncles/cousins.

You're shocked!

One of the big problems of the writing is that I'm not shocked. Evil Villain lady borrowed a mustache to twirl from Dastardly Dan for this nonsense.

The "story" took an unfavorable turn to some. It happens.

The quality of the writing took a downward turn. The BFA story actually treats this as fairly irrelevant (one of the other reasons it's so bad). BFA isn't about Teldrassil or its consequences, it's about 2 people in prison and the Quest for More Boats.
07/31/2018 05:08 PMPosted by Greesus
No, it's just that bad. Stop making excuses for a company that doesn't care about you.

This all day and night long folks.
TLJ is the perfect example of bad writing making people upset. This doesn't have to be different. we will just have to see where it goes...
07/31/2018 09:57 PMPosted by Suréna
In other words, "bad," just as writing can be "bad" in the sense of flat or poorly constructed.

No, I can honestly say that this writing itself was inconsistent and confusing. Character behaviors are inconsistent, randomly changing from moment to moment, with plans and motivations changing for no discernible reason.

Saurfang switches between 'honorable' and 'does not care' without reason, first caring about civilians and sending us to save them, then standing there with his thumb up his !@# while Sylvanas burns a city and its civilian population.

Sylvanas goes from wanting to kill Malf to not caring about killing him, and from wanting to control Darnassus to control the azerite flow, to wanting to break the Night elf spirit, except she doesn't use Malf's death to do that, because remember, she doesn't care about that and wandered off to let Saurfang do it.

So, now, instead of caring about the Azerite flow, and using the Night Elves as hostages, she's just gonna burn that son of a $%^-* down because this elf said something about hope.

It's....bad. Bad writing. Very very very bad.
Hate the writers for this honestly. Standing inside Teldrassil as it burns.

You're honked off!
You're shocked!

Not really I'm more nonplussed than anything. at this point it's not even remotely interesting anymore like seriously if BfA gets hacked apart and patched together like what happened to warlords I wont be back and as I've said before I'd recommend the same to my friends and have them do the same to theirs and so on so forth. it had better have such a juicy storyline that i cant wait to get out of bed and look over. because this... was doldrum.
07/31/2018 09:47 PMPosted by Ashanta
It's not bad writing, so far. ("It made you angry" is a silly argument for that point, though. Things can make me angry and still be terribly written - much of Terry Goodkind's stuff falls in that category.)

The cinematic is enough to make it clear this is an inevitable development from a character point of view, at least for Sylvanas. So far, so good.

Whether it's bad writing or not remains to be seen, because for several subgroups of the Horde (Tauren, Blood Elves, even the Orcs) it's becoming clear it's not in their interest to keep following a leader who genuinely thinks everyone is better off dead.

Will that be dealt with later on in BFA's story? We'll have to wait and see.

(If it isn't, I'd have to agree that at the very least, the plot needs work.)

The problem with the story as it has unfolds is that it places a burden on the Horde player at large that does not need to be there; that what he or she is doing as a character is no longer moral, ethical, good, what have you. As a Horde lifer, and a Forsaken devotee, I can tell you nothing in the 12 years I have played this game has filled me with such frustration as what I saw today.

As a Horde player, I want to feel proud to be Horde. In all these years I always felt like being part of the Horde meant something, something that was important. If this is truly Garrosh 2.0, then let us in on it early. Right from the jump, we should be aware that we are fighting for the Horde, not a leader we cannot respect. That we are working towards a better future with a better leader. I really hope that there is a way to feel better about this, because I just can't see it right now.
07/31/2018 10:02 PMPosted by Faustous
TLJ is the perfect example of bad writing making people upset. This doesn't have to be different. we will just have to see where it goes...

I liked TLJ, the only people upset are the fanbois who believe it didn't live up to their own preconceived expectations.

Same with burning down the tree, just because some people don't like it doesn't make it bad writing, it just means you don't like it..

Subjective writing is subjective
07/31/2018 08:42 PMPosted by Bigpphead
This is actually pretty funny i've never seen the wow community so alive right now, maybe this is what blizzard was going for you know, stirring up some controversy before the launch of bfa, Oh! That also reminds that there's Another Part of the pre patch story line so now we wait.

Really? A significant chunk of the Horde doesn't want to be Horde anymore because of this writing and story. it's not really the kind of controversy that is good for the game. The different cut scenes at the Broken Shore, the different perspectives at Camp Taurajo or even Theramore do stir up good controversy.

At the moment, at least 5 of my 7 Horde toons are rooting for the Alliance. I am ashamed to be primarily a Horde player at this point. The Horde of Teldrassil (and for that matter Theramore) is not the Horde that I signed up for back in BC. I have incentive not to buy BfA because of this. I doubt that I am the only one.

You're honked off!
You're shocked!

Whos worried about Horde toons? From what I read this story has people upset on BOTH sides of the aisle and an entire wave of people ready to drop the game and forget BFA even exists. The duct tape and shoe horns necessary to repair the lore after this is immeasurable.
The storytelling has gone downhill. Blizzard needs to know it's subpar so they can try and do better. If they don't do better... well... here's to some other thing to sink my time into.

You're honked off!
You're shocked!

Sorry but Blizzard doesn't get a free pass anymore, they fubard the Stormheim Sylvanas vs Genn that just ended. The whole "oh it's beta just wait", yea that worked perfectly fine with survival hunters and outlaw rogues in Legion.

They even tried to ship the whole burning of the tree a "mystery" and the whole war of thorns as morally grey....yea nether of those happened and they literally pulled a Hello Games/No Mans Sky
07/31/2018 09:49 PMPosted by Kelrexia
07/31/2018 09:41 PMPosted by Rickrolling

She was in there to break their spirit. They werent broken at all. Now they are.

You have a source on that? Everything I’ve seen from BfA, primarily the mission table descriptions thus far, is that the Night Elves are INCREDIBLY pissed off.

This also removes any chance the Alliance will do anything but fight to the absolute bitter end and fire every single gun they have, because they’ve seen what surrender gets you. Which is the exact opposite of Sylive’s stated goal.

So? Everyone gets pissed off after being defeated. They are still unable to do anything against her but cry and remember the horrors and fear. It doesnt amtter if they keep fighting as long as they keep being weak.
She didnt want them to surrender, she wanted them to be broken like Hevles were agaisnt the scourge the entire cutscene is a parellel between the siege of both cities. Sylvanas was broken after seeing civilians dead with children and the entire city burned and so was the Nelf.
As bad as this War of the Thorns writing is, I am waiting for the other shoe to drop with Sylvanus' inevitable Kerrigan moment.

Watch it be something ridiculous, like Sylvanus learned the next threat to Azeroth is the void/old gods, and their goal is to extinguish all 'life'. So if she just Forsakens up the whole population, gg bruls, no life here, disaster averted.
07/31/2018 05:14 PMPosted by Celenaria
One day one of you bad writing guys is gonna have to explain to me why, if it was a shift from what she originally planned to do, did Sylvanas have catapults loaded with fire charges ready to go.
So much this! And many other ppl have made this same observation.
I didn't feel any of the things you listed and yet i still feel disappointed, because the narrative and development of the Horde gets repetitive and contradicts itself time and time again.
We all knew the tree was going to burn, and we knew Sylvanas was going to play some role in it. But this turned out to be the most obvious and boring outcome that passed through my mind, supported by the most stupid reasoning behind Sylvanas's character. This is bad writing, it's like fanfiction.
07/31/2018 10:14 PMPosted by Lolpwned
I liked TLJ, the only people upset are the fanbois who believe it didn't live up to their own preconceived expectations.

While a convenient sentiment for hand waving away criticism its just factually not accurate, there were plenty of people who disliked the movie for plenty of reasons.

I don't give a toss about Star Wars, I consider it's success rate at film making about 40%, and I thought it was a poorly written and poorly shot film with numerous and serious plot and pacing issues, and full of missed opportunities.
07/31/2018 10:24 PMPosted by Rickrolling
07/31/2018 09:49 PMPosted by Kelrexia

You have a source on that? Everything I’ve seen from BfA, primarily the mission table descriptions thus far, is that the Night Elves are INCREDIBLY pissed off.

This also removes any chance the Alliance will do anything but fight to the absolute bitter end and fire every single gun they have, because they’ve seen what surrender gets you. Which is the exact opposite of Sylive’s stated goal.

So? Everyone gets pissed off after being defeated. They are still unable to do anything against her but cry and remember the horrors and fear. It doesnt amtter if they keep fighting as long as they keep being weak.
She didnt want them to surrender, she wanted them to be broken like Hevles were agaisnt the scourge the entire cutscene is a parellel between the siege of both cities. Sylvanas was broken after seeing civilians dead with children and the entire city burned and so was the Nelf.

And then Sylvanas picked herself up, plotted for years, liberated the Forsaken and in the end took down Arthas so she's kind of living (undead) proof that breaking people doesn't work.
It seems like the entire premise of BfA is not supported by the playerbase for the most part and perhaps that the expansion's story was a mistake.

It doesn't seem like many players want there to be faction war. They would rather have done something else, like explore some other new continent or planet or something, I guess. Apparently faction war under misinformation and believing that you're the good guys is a little more okay than one side being murderous, but still, seems like most of you would rather not do it at all.

So, situation normal, all !@#$ed up.
07/31/2018 10:24 PMPosted by Rickrolling

So? Everyone gets pissed off after being defeated. They are still unable to do anything against her but cry and remember the horrors and fear. It doesnt amtter if they keep fighting as long as they keep being weak

Broken people pretty much by definition don’t fight back. While it’s not in-game in the form of placed mobs, the beta mission table tells us that the Night Elves rock out and engage the Horde on multiple fronts following the burning of Teldrassil.

You’re demolishing your own argument here.