The narrative is so bad the media noticed

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-08-01-sylvanas-just-murdered-loads-of-innocent-night-elves-and-now-world-of-warcraft-fans-are-in-crisis

Congrats blizzard normally the media doesn't notice bad writing in an mmo but you managed it. The author is completely right on how you ruined Slyvannas and also astutely pointed out the awful like to dislike ratio on the video.

Your narrative failed the horde.
You just replaced "writing" with "bad writing" without cause. Good writing and average writing can also grab attention depending on what happened.
I still feel like there's more to it, and we just need to wait and see before jumping to conclusions.
Everyone's an expert in storytelling all of a sudden.
08/01/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Flaun
I still feel like there's more to it, and we just need to wait and see before jumping to conclusions.

We know the story through Uldir and it doesn't get any better.

At this point if they do a bait and switch with 8.2 they'll get even more derision for it, and rightly so.
Just read the article. Not a single sentence stated the story was bad. If anything it said you folks are being beyond juvenile with your reactions.
08/01/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Azemane
You just replaced "writing" with "bad writing" without cause. Good writing and average writing can also grab attention depending on what happened.

What makes a story good or bad? Fulfilling it's purpose.

Is the purpose of an MMO's story to drive away half it's playerbase?

No.

So was this a good story?

No.
So someone made a blog post on a gaming site and you see this as some media thing?
Color me shocked.
I'm kind of getting tired of people throwing "bad writing" around like its the new "mary sue".

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean its bad writing people. I'll agree that certain things are questionable but Sylvanas has been a selfish prick who hates hope and the living for a while now.
LOL "The Media", you mean 1 gaming media outlet that no one cares about. Nice B8 M8
08/01/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Dormie

Now this is the story all about how my life got flipped, turned upside down. And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-air
It's almost like they wanted to get a rise out of people and establish a villain.

That doesn't make it a masterpiece. But it was at least reasonably effective in doing what it set out to do.

I don't have to be an expert cook to know if the food I'm eating is good or not.
"I don't like what's happening in the story thus far, so therefore - bad writing."
Hold on, hold on OP. Are you saying that a web site that covers video games wrote an article about something that happened in one of the most popular video games in history!

INCREDIBLE!

You’re right, we are all too stupid to grasp Blizzard’s high concept Pulitzer worthy story lines.
08/01/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Sebillee
Congrats blizzard normally the media doesn't notice bad writing in an mmo but you managed it.

That's because those other MMOs aren't worth it. :)
Bottom of the article:

While World of Warcraft fans are currently coming to terms with recent events, it's worth pointing out there's a lot more to come from the game's story in the coming weeks, and Battle for Azeroth isn't even out yet. Perhaps Sylvanas will see the light? Perhaps she has some hidden motivation for her murderous rampage?

Whatever the case, we now know for sure the World Tree is no more and, as a Night Elf till I die, this means war.
08/01/2018 09:23 AMPosted by Mooriartee

I don't have to be an expert cook to know if the food I'm eating is good or not.
Even taste is subjective.

Except cilantro.
He says "the media" , like its really "the media".

LOL

:-D)))