The narrative is so bad the media noticed

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 12 Next
08/01/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Azemane
You just replaced "writing" with "bad writing" without cause. Good writing and average writing can also grab attention depending on what happened.

This was bad writing.

Like horrible fan fic levels of bad writing.
08/01/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Farora
I'm kind of getting tired of people throwing "bad writing" around like its the new "mary sue".

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean its bad writing people. I'll agree that certain things are questionable but Sylvanas has been a selfish prick who hates hope and the living for a while now.

yeah but this is bad writing tho
08/01/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Azemane
Except cilantro.

That's genetic. :)
I like how the Alliance are the staunchest defenders of what is going on.

Of course they would be. Who doesn't like always being cast as the good guys, which means you will always inevitably win?
08/01/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Dormie
Everyone's an expert in storytelling all of a sudden.

Don't have to be an expert on storytelling to know how your wallet works. If a whole lot of customers tell you they hate your latest product, proving them wrong isn't going to make them suddenly start spending money again.
lmao the article actually lists the like-to-dislike ratio on the video

trash
08/01/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Shrike

Is the purpose of an MMO's story to drive away half it's playerbase?

That is not what has happened. Sure, a few people have posted "Unsubscribing!!!11" threads, but what it has mostly done is get players emotional about a 14 year old game. I shouldn't wonder if it hasn't even brought back players who had grown bored of the game.

That's some effective storytelling.
08/01/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Flaun
I still feel like there's more to it, and we just need to wait and see before jumping to conclusions.
Honestly this, pre patch has always been about the hook of the story to get people interested that haven’t pre ordered yet.

But we’ll see, legion and WOD was pretty much just 1 solid story straight vs previous expansions where every zone had its own story and sometimes there own raid (like stormhiem). And then like jade forest (I think it’s jade forest could be wrong) spiced up the faction war and got us pumped as we invaded/explored pandaria.

They might be going back to that since alliance has there own questing zone and so does the horde.
It doesn't say anything about it being "bad" writing.

If anything it proves the opposite. I don't like the story so far BUT it has my attention. Just because I don't like something doesn't make it bad writing. We only have a very small fraction of the story.
Yesterday was the day that the High Elf threads were defeated by a far bigger and louder cry.
08/01/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Yshal
08/01/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Azemane
You just replaced "writing" with "bad writing" without cause. Good writing and average writing can also grab attention depending on what happened.

This was bad writing.

Like horrible fan fic levels of bad writing.
No, it isn't. Point to the inconsistencies or out-of-character behaviors.

Not liking what happened doesn't mean it played out in a nonsensical fashion from a storytelling standpoint.
08/01/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Dormie
Everyone's an expert in storytelling all of a sudden.

This is exactly my reaction to the uproar critiques.
It's "bad writing" because, at this point, it's retreading covered ground. We already had a Horde leader go rogue and commit war crimes. We already had a Horde leader primed to become a raid boss. I'm hoping the story gets better, but at this point, I'm disappointed in this turn and watching Blizz once again blatantly show it's Alliance preference.
08/01/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Psix
"I don't like what's happening in the story thus far, so therefore - bad writing."

Everyone: "We don't like what's happening, because none of Blizzards character's are showing a shred of consistency, have unrealistic attributes, and also Blizz can't be bothered to remember their own plot-lines."

You: STOP BRINGING UP PERFECTLY VALID QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS.
08/01/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Stabbycat
08/01/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Shrike

Is the purpose of an MMO's story to drive away half it's playerbase?

That is not what has happened. Sure, a few people have posted "Unsubscribing!!!11" threads, but what it has mostly done is get players emotional about a 14 year old game. I shouldn't wonder if it hasn't even brought back players who had grown bored of the game.

That's some effective storytelling.

Its pushed me to the point where I have stopped playing my toons on RP realms and I have for the first time completely not cared about the story anymore.

Very effective.
Honest question: How are we defining bad writing? Technical skill involved being poor? Plot being poor?

I could maybe agree with the way the storytelling was being done could have been (much) better, but what I see as actually happening I don't think is bad.

DIsclaimer: I don't mean it is not evil, it is 100000000000% evil, but that's not what I meant by not bad.
The writer even ends his piece with more sense than 90% of these wailing tools have.

"While World of Warcraft fans are currently coming to terms with recent events, it's worth pointing out there's a lot more to come from the game's story in the coming weeks, and Battle for Azeroth isn't even out yet. Perhaps Sylvanas will see the light? Perhaps she has some hidden motivation for her murderous rampage?

Whatever the case, we now know for sure the World Tree is no more and, as a Night Elf till I die, this means war."
08/01/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Pallidrome
Just read the article. Not a single sentence stated the story was bad. If anything it said you folks are being beyond juvenile with your reactions.

I feel like these folks just scan for keywords and make baseless assumptions off of them. That, or their reading comprehension is rudimentary at best.
08/01/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Sebillee
https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-08-01-sylvanas-just-murdered-loads-of-innocent-night-elves-and-now-world-of-warcraft-fans-are-in-crisis

Congrats blizzard normally the media doesn't notice bad writing in an mmo but you managed it. The author is completely right on how you ruined Slyvannas and also astutely pointed out the awful like to dislike ratio on the video.

Your narrative failed the horde.

I think you read something into that story that I didn't find there. Also...

All types of writing, good, bad, indifferent, weird, satisfying, unusual, whatever, "catch the eye of the media". Nothing in that story says anything about the writing being "bad". Additionally, some players not liking the narrative also doesn't make it "bad writing"; it just makes it something you don't like.

The story isn't over yet.
08/01/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Flaun
I still feel like there's more to it, and we just need to wait and see before jumping to conclusions.

What makes you think that?

Is it, perhaps, that its the first ten minutes of a story that will unfold over the next two years of the game?

Hmmm ...

Hmph.