Dear Devs: Re: Pet Charms

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 16 Next
08/01/2018 01:29 PMPosted by Ythisens
Hey guys! Just some clarification that this was a communicated change and we posted about this on the beta forums.

Here is a link to the post on it when we made that change on the beta and some follow up from Muffinus on some philosophy behind it:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762158027?page=5#post-82
05/24/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Muffinus
What this means for you: always-useful items will eventually move to the new currency, so you don't feel obligated to do older content. If you still need pets from older content, they are purchasable with that content's charms.

This was something that was communicated on the forums and was repeated by lots of fan sites and individuals on social media as well as our own accounts leading up to the 8.0 patch.
https://twitter.com/warcraftdevs/status/999801175212933120?lang=en

However, you're right it wasn't in the patch notes and we do apologize for that as it should've been in there too and I'll make that a note in the future that we shouldn't miss things like that. In the mean time you can still use the Shiny Pet Charms to buy the existing pets and toys, and the new Pet Charms will be available once we get into BfA.

Ythisens,

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/4-0-1
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/5-0-4
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/6-0-2

Please consider the patch notes listed above as a counterpoint. Currency changes had their own section in each of these new expansion patch notes.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/7-0-3

Even Legion, although there was not a dedicated section dealing with currency changes, stated in the official patch notes forthcoming changes to currencies.

Also the timing. Each of these patch notes were released WEEKS before the pre-patch on the battle.net main website: which were then copied over to Wowhead, Reddit, MMO-C, and others. Compare that to 8.0 and your post where you are saying players had to go to third party websites, or the Beta Forums, and read multiple articles for the patch notes because Blizzard chose to not release them until the night before the pre-patch went live.

I'm in the same boat, but not complaining only because I'm not able to play at the moment and would lose out regardless. That said, the timing and lack of communication about the change to Pet Charms flies in direct opposition to how Blizzard announced changes to currencies for the last FOUR expansions.

Recommend Blizzard takes the suggestion earlier in this thread and revert the change until BFA goes live, then update to the new currency.

R,
Solaria
If I had not seen some people posting warnings about it on Trade chat the night before I would have been stuck with over 4k of them.
08/02/2018 07:26 AMPosted by Neocleo
If I had not seen some people posting warnings about it on Trade chat the night before I would have been stuck with over 4k of them.

I saw the same thing. I stockpiled 12k then saw somebody talk about it in trade chat. I found a post somewhere that confirmed this so I just bought all the stones I could. I have so many stones now, I just cap pets, stone to 25 and sell them.
I think what really needs said in this thread is that blizzard continually and intentionally leaves important changes in the game out of the official pre-patch notes that everyone is using as the official source of all the changes that are coming. They are then telling everyone they should spend a lot more time scouring the internet finding hidden posts about coming changes somewhere other than in the OFFICIAL pre-patch notes that they themselves release. The pet charm issue is one of MANY changes that hit this pre-patch that affected more than one economy in game, Iike them changing the gold missions to now award resources (I think this is a huge one). Moral of the story is, Blizzard continues to be dishonest, misleading, and now with the huge problem of so many players logs being wiped of quests, unhelpful and in no way, shape, or form do they care about customer service.
08/01/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Tarc
Sorry, but if you expected to be able to hoard a currency from a past expansion to have a head-start on buying new things in the new expansion, that was not a realistic expectation. Honor points, valor, justice, etc...have never carried over. I rememebr when we used to get a nice gold conversion from unused points.

Pet Charms were in WoD, and they stayed the same for Legion. So why change them now?
08/02/2018 07:36 AMPosted by Bryr
Pet Charms were in WoD, and they stayed the same for Legion. So why change them now?

I think it plays into the whole time played metric, to drag things out. Another part of this, all but one or two vendor pets in BfA can only be bought with the new charms and the exceptions are gold sink pets. Even the faction pets available at certain rep levels can't be bought with gold rather you'll need to grind out the new charms.
Ythisens, if this Blizzard thing doesn't work out I hear Sarah Huckabee Sanders is looking for an Assistant Presidential Explainer (APE) :D
The least they could do is make all versions of the pet charm an account based currency so we don't have to waste inventory space on them.
08/02/2018 12:34 AMPosted by Tewa
08/02/2018 12:33 AMPosted by Samael
OP is clueless. It was all in patch notes, mmo champion and lots of YouTube wow content creators videos for a long time.

L2Research bra.

Except... it wasn't. There's a blue post IN THIS THREAD saying it wasn't in the patch notes.

Learn to read.
LOL, yup. Jumping off cliffs is dangerous.

I'm not in the same boat as the OP, since I saw the info while in the Alpha/Beta, but I can see their perspective. They'd have to know something was up to research. Simplest thing Blizz could have done was put a flash message on the launcher like the current one showing the 2 event mounts are only available for a limited time. *Shrug*
Hey guys! Just some clarification that this was a communicated change and we posted about this on the beta forums.

Here is a link to the post on it when we made that change on the beta and some follow up from Muffinus on some philosophy behind it:
What this means for you: always-useful items will eventually move to the new currency, so you don't feel obligated to do older content. If you still need pets from older content, they are purchasable with that content's charms.

This was something that was communicated on the forums and was repeated by lots of fan sites and individuals on social media as well as our own accounts leading up to the 8.0 patch.

However, you're right it wasn't in the patch notes and we do apologize for that as it should've been in there too and I'll make that a note in the future that we shouldn't miss things like that. In the mean time you can still use the Shiny Pet Charms to buy the existing pets and toys, and the new Pet Charms will be available once we get into BfA.

To be fair Blizzard should allow Battle Stones to be purchased with the new Shiny Pet Charms. I am not a pet collector, but it is obvious in this case that Blizzard has done a disservice to pet collectors.
This was a poorly documented move on Blizzard's part, and since I knew about it I made it a point to share the details with other pet collectors. Your actions were irresponsible and your response is devoid of any accountability. This trend has been increasingly present in WoW and it gives me a sad.
08/02/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Breld
The least they could do is make all versions of the pet charm an account based currency so we don't have to waste inventory space on them.

All pet items, charms, treats, bandages are BOA so you can send them to any of your characters. There are some stones that are soulbound, but charms are not.
08/02/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Daikon
This was a poorly documented move on Blizzard's part, and since I knew about it I made it a point to share the details with other pet collectors. Your actions were irresponsible and your response is devoid of any accountability. This trend has been increasingly present in WoW and it gives me a sad.

The response is from someone with no authority or power to change it. In short, blue post confirming no changes will happen.

The powers that be probably don't want to change it because if they did it would set a precedent and increase the feeling that complaints get resolutions.
This change, like some others, feel like poor or incomplete planning. This interregnum feels like a Grand Neutering. :)

What a pathetic answer.
08/02/2018 07:36 AMPosted by Bryr
08/01/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Tarc
Sorry, but if you expected to be able to hoard a currency from a past expansion to have a head-start on buying new things in the new expansion, that was not a realistic expectation. Honor points, valor, justice, etc...have never carried over. I rememebr when we used to get a nice gold conversion from unused points.

To prevent people from hoarding them forever.
What's sad is knowing there's this window during which Blizzard can still resolve this without even abandoning their long-term goal of the currency switch. Reverting the change until BFA goes live, putting in an announcement (such as an in-game mail at least from the vendor) to get players attention... something along those lines.

But we're watching their inaction unfold in slow motion. This week will pass. Next week will pass. It will go without further addressing, except maybe some useless twitter post or something from Muffinus about how they'll communicate it better next time. (The irony of course being that WoW players form expectations based on precedent, so while it's good to improve their communication, THIS was really the time they needed to get it right, because THIS was the break from precedent, as the WoD -> Legion transition didn't do this).

The people burned by this aren't going to feel one ounce better if Blizzard says "we'll communicate better in the future." That's just a promise not to make NEW mistakes, not a promise to fix the CURRENT mistake.

I'd love Blizzard to prove me wrong. Revert the change till BFA goes live Blizzard. It's simple. It's straightforward. It fixes the issue. It doesn't give people an unfair benefit they didn't already work for. It wins good will. It's such an obviously good choice to make.

Honestly thought the change was reverted since it wasn't in the patch notes about what was being changed. I mean heaven forbid we trust the official documentation... Perhaps you guys can add buyable stones for a week as an apology.
knowing blizzard, those pet stones will all go grey or not usable on bfa pets
I watched the pre patch survival guide sent out by blizzard, the only thing SENT OUT by blizzard, I didn't scour and I wasn't trolling the forums / trade chat in hopes that I might find a tid bit of info regarding something I might or may care about at some point, but I certainly care now and so does my wife who logs in with nearly the sole purpose of pet battles who was on a long break and had zero chance of finding any of this info, who is very pissed about this.

Blizzard needs to fix this, now, not sometime later, not oh well QQ move on.

08/02/2018 09:23 AMPosted by Malms
knowing blizzard, those pet stones will all go grey or not usable on bfa pets

That's a perfect idea, revert the vendor untill BFA ACTUALLY launches (best case), and then any 'buff stuff' from that vendor goes grey after, forcing people to use it not horde it (also good but not best case).