Dear Devs: Re: Pet Charms

General Discussion
Prev 1 12 13 14 16 Next
08/02/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Bryr
Not everyone spends their life with their noses in their PCs checking every single WoWhead update.

If that was the level of detail needed to find this, then there'd be a legit complaint.
It being on several different sites, including this very forums at times...
Well, only way to miss it would be to only glance at the patch notes at the last second and not double check anything.
I guess that can happen, but with how huge the changes for an entire expansion prepatch were, it's a bit surprising anyone would skimp on that that much.
08/02/2018 08:04 PMPosted by Lebli
08/02/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Bryr
Not everyone spends their life with their noses in their PCs checking every single WoWhead update.

If that was the level of detail needed to find this, then there'd be a legit complaint.
It being on several different sites, including this very forums at times...
Well, only way to miss it would be to only glance at the patch notes at the last second and not double check anything.
I guess that can happen, but with how huge the changes for an entire expansion prepatch were, it's a bit surprising anyone would skimp on that that much.

Some people avoid third party sites entirely. I'm one of them. A couple I avoid because I can't stand them. A couple I avoid because I don't have time. And at least one, WoWhead, I refuse to go to anymore because it forced me to wipe and re-load my computer twice because of three Trojans, one key-logger, and a very aggressive advertisement script that disabled my adblocker and virus protection.

Agreed there were several notices from players, key there: players, not Blues in General Discussion in the week leading up to BfA pre-patch. But I will point out that Blues have in the past asked players to avoid posting spoilers for upcoming expansions in General Discussion because some players do not want to know what is coming up until the patch is ready (to me that includes the patch notes.

That also indicates there are some players that do not go to the Beta Forums either. They do not want to know everything about the upcoming patch or expansion until just before it goes live. Blues have also posted that until a change is listed in the official patch notes, or is on the live servers, that it is subject to change, so it is contradictory to state a Blue post in the Beta Forums four months ago is a set-in stone decision players should base their actions off of.

Also, some people only check the first page or two to see what topics are trending. And yet a post can jump to the third or fourth page in 10 minutes or less during peak times, so it is also quite likely that someone who only checks GD once or twice a day would have missed the player posts giving notice of the change.

R,
Solaria
Don't let this topic die, keep up the fight because this is not acceptable customer service.
I'm surprised at how passionate the debate is, and how much support there is.

Something someone posted earlier kind of struck me, but I'm not gonna dig through all the pages to find it. It was just the statement: Blizzard, you can't have it both ways.

And, for me... I'm getting the feeling that for them, Battle Pets aren't a big deal, so we shouldn't care because they don't. Or, maybe it's not a big deal so we shouldn't care... or it is a big deal, so it's too much manpower to fix an issue that they generated.

Alternatively, I'm also getting that Battle Pets aren't a big deal, and yet they're a big enough deal that they had to invalidate all our old currency and force us to farm a new currency.

Back to; Blizzard, you can't have it both ways.

Either it's NOT a big deal, and you should either just let us spend our old currency, or scrap the idea of a new currency entirely. OR it is a big deal, in which case the fact that you failed to communicate this change in a reasonable way is not acceptable, and you need to do something for your players.

So... I guess... phrasing this another way...

Blizzard... are you wrong because one reason... or are you wrong for a different reason? How wrong do you want to be?
08/01/2018 01:29 PMPosted by Ythisens
Hey guys! Just some clarification that this was a communicated change and we posted about this on the beta forums.

Here is a link to the post on it when we made that change on the beta and some follow up from Muffinus on some philosophy behind it:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762158027?page=5#post-82
05/24/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Muffinus
What this means for you: always-useful items will eventually move to the new currency, so you don't feel obligated to do older content. If you still need pets from older content, they are purchasable with that content's charms.

This was something that was communicated on the forums and was repeated by lots of fan sites and individuals on social media as well as our own accounts leading up to the 8.0 patch.
https://twitter.com/warcraftdevs/status/999801175212933120?lang=en

However, you're right it wasn't in the patch notes and we do apologize for that as it should've been in there too and I'll make that a note in the future that we shouldn't miss things like that. In the mean time you can still use the Shiny Pet Charms to buy the existing pets and toys, and the new Pet Charms will be available once we get into BfA.

So instead of posting in a place where the community would most likely see it. You posted it on the beta forums? Smart move. Because posting a change that happened on live into the seldom read beta forums was a brilliant move
The more I read that blue response, the more irritated I am at the dismissive tone.

I do not consider "lots of fan sites and individuals on social media" as official sources for information.

Therefore the posting in the Beta forums is the closest you got to officially communicating this change. And that's just not acceptable. Beta forums are for Beta. The very nature of Beta means that anything going on there can change at any time. You cannot, and should not, expect people to keep track of every change being listed in the Beta forums (let alone buried on the 5th page of a thread) and whether or not that change is going to actually make it to live or not.
I had almost 10k pet charms and i'll be honest i was saving them up for the new pets/toys. Then one day i was on Youtube and ran into Hazelnuttygames video about the change to pet charms in pre-patch. So i had to log into the game that day and spend all my charms before they where just junk in my Bank. To all the people saying you can still spend them on pets and toys for the AH i have this to say. Most people all ready have these pets and toys and most sell for junk on the AH with low pop servers. All i am saying is they should of not re-vamped the pet charms until BfA launched not Pre-patch.
... To all the people saying you can still spend them on pets and toys for the AH i have this to say. Most people all ready have these pets and toys and most sell for junk on the AH with low pop servers. All i am saying is they should of not re-vamped the pet charms until BfA launched not Pre-patch.

I had over 3k spread over many alts and was lucky enough to see the information on a 3rd party site about a week in advance and so I collected them all onto one character and was able to buy some stones as well as alert some of my fellow pet collectors/battlers.
I'm not a twitter user and I dislike wowhead for many reasons already posted, the biggest one for me being that almost every time I log on to it, my browser will crash after it's been open a few minutes.

Blizzard absolutely should not have made the changes until the expansion dropped, and they should have had any currency changes listed in patch notes like they used to. I expect that new content will include new currency for new items. I'm fine with the stones being converted to new currency (After BFA drops), but this changing the currency for pet food and cosmetic items just doesn't make sense.
08/02/2018 10:32 PMPosted by Titantenai
Don't let this topic die, keep up the fight because this is not acceptable customer service.

Blizzard keeps dropping lore bombs! I mean, dropping a new high quality cinematic out of the blue? We just had a few days where every other player felt the need to create new threads about THEIR take on the tree burning down. And now we have a full on cinematic about Saurfang drop, and a tidal wave of new threads commenting on that.

Normally GD is like 90% gameplay and 10% lore threads. These days it's like 90% lore and 10% gameplay threads. It's like there's an unending series of plot tidal waves washing threads off the front page!
08/03/2018 09:09 AMPosted by Torvald
08/02/2018 10:32 PMPosted by Titantenai

Blizzard keeps dropping lore bombs! I mean, dropping a new high quality cinematic out of the blue? We just had a few days where every other player felt the need to create new threads about THEIR take on the tree burning down. And now we have a full on cinematic about Saurfang drop, and a tidal wave of new threads commenting on that.

Normally GD is like 90% gameplay and 10% lore threads. These days it's like 90% lore and 10% gameplay threads. It's like there's an unending series of plot tidal waves washing threads off the front page!

Yes which is why we CANNOT let this sneaky tactic slide this time, it's not the first time and won't be the last time but blizzard sneaking stuff past people is just plain WRONG... If it wasn't an intentional sneaky thing to do... Do SOMETHING to fix it...?
Blizzard. Stop messing with pet charms. Just. Let. It. Rest. You don't need to introduce new currencies each expansion. Make the game cohesive!
Ugh, this was a terrible shock to me too. So I just bought whatever toys and missing pets I could with what was left of my currency and sold the rest as pets for a small profit.
08/03/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Korgo
Ugh, this was a terrible shock to me too. So I just bought whatever toys and missing pets I could with what was left of my currency and sold the rest as pets for a small profit.

It's a bummer, because of the little amount of gold you'd get (I imagine it's not not much gold, doesn't seem like there'd be much of a market for those things) is far outweighed by the value of the time saved by using level up stones on a pet.
I'll admit, I heard there was a new pet currency coming with BfA. But that's it. So I assumed, since there was no change from WoD to Legion, that the new currency would be for new pets/toys. I mean, I'd make occasional stops to Wowhead, MMO-C, but they were all about the mage tower and pvp and raids to do before patch. Even in the actual patch notes I never saw something saying that the current charms would become almost useless at patch. At the very least they could have made it to where the charms were converted at some kind of ratio.

I understand many players do lots of digging for every little thing when a patch/xpac hits, but as already stated, this info was found on 3rd party sites. For a major change that would almost invalidate a currency, this should have been a major sign on their to-do list before BfA.

As for the blue posts we've gotten, they've both been far from acceptable. Regarding currency changes, why would players expect a currency that didnt change from the previous xpac to change for the next one? And if you want players to check 3rd party sites for patch information, then you need to validate those sites. It can't go both ways.

The fact that there's only been one blue response in this thread, and that was right at the start, is bothersome. It left too many open ended questions and contradictions. If not a lot of people read the forums, then how would they find an important change buried under pages in a sub-section. If you're going to start pointing us to 3rd party sites (some of which have been known to carry malware and viruses) does that mean we can use what we find on those sites as credible information? I understand this is a bit off topic, but it does raise serious questions that need answering.

For now, is it too much to ask for a small patch that lets us continue to use the charms we have until xpac launch?
This still has to be addressed, stop ignoring it and hoping it'll go away blizzard.
This sort of willful and proud ignorance is how Trump got elected.

"Nobody came to my house, held me down, and forced me to look at the evidence that he is a racist pedo Russian stooge. Thanks Obama!"
Way to try and derail a thread with political drivel, which only draws comparisons if you try really hard, but I thank you for the bump.
My only real complaint with the surprise change is that I can't buy the blue "Marked Flawless Battle Stones" and this change was not made clear.
I had to go searching for why I could not buy from Serr'ah... Which further reduces my playing time.

I pre-ordered BFA a long time ago but I took a break and have now started back up a couple of weeks before launch. Not a happy return...
They really should let people use current pet charms to buy things until the 14th. I really don't see how that hurts anything.
I'd sure like to see a Blue come back here and address our actual concerns, and lay out a plan of action that actually appeases these concerns.