Dear Devs: Re: Pet Charms

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 16 Next
08/01/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Menard
(Side note, why is it always gnomes who do pet battles? Don’t the pets eat the gnomes?)

We prefer to think of them as "friends" or "roommates" or even "bodyguards".

P.S. OP is totally right on this one. I knew about this from wowhead and had all my charms spent on stones in time, but it was not well-communicated at all.
08/01/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Tarc
08/01/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Wilee
I just re-reviewed the Patch Notes and I do not see this listed anywhere.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/patch-notes/

More over, I shouldn't have to review Patch Notes constantly in order to not lose something I worked for. Again, this change should have been implemented in a better way.

Sorry, but if you expected to be able to hoard a currency from a past expansion to have a head-start on buying new things in the new expansion, that was not a realistic expectation. Honor points, valor, justice, etc...have never carried over. I rememebr when we used to get a nice gold conversion from unused points.

OP isn't asking for a "head start on buying new things" but merely wants to be able to use her existing currency on items previously purchasable with that currency.
honestly, the player shouldn't have to rely on 3rd party websites and reading the forums to be aware of changes to these sort of things.

i thought the point of the launcher was to notify players of changes, updates, patches.

a small box next to the "BFA LAUNCHES SOON" splash that read "Changes to upcoming currency: battle pet tokens, etc" with a link to the relevant forum post isn't alot to expect.
08/01/2018 02:26 PMPosted by Dimpishly
To be honest, I knew this change was coming.

...and on the very last day I had a chance to spend my charms, I didn't log in. At all. I was just not feeling well. Honestly, I'm not "doing well" in general.

Short Warlock Solidarity! I hope you're doing better soon! And I'm sorry you didn't get to spend the charms.
I think it is a bit remiss to not be able to acquire the rare upgrade stone in the interim. :/

Finally got an undead valkyr and it is just sitting there at L25 grey with nothing to do.
08/01/2018 05:14 PMPosted by Rhorle
08/01/2018 04:58 PMPosted by Agnass
Sorry, but I disagree. I refuse to visit fan sites just because they might have some information that should be posted on Blizzard's forums or information pages.

But it was posted on Blizzard's forums so what is the problem then? If you won't find the news you can't whine when you don't know the news. It is why news reporting has existed for hundreds of years. Because people miss things and companies/groups miss things.
Wow...you definitely want to yell at me. I just commented on the fact that I disagreed and refused to visit a fan site.

I still feel the way this was posted was poorly implemented (and I did double check and found a link pointing to twitter from way back in May), however, I did not see any date listed for that change to take place. And since I do not follow twitter, this would not have been on my radar. I know some of my friends do not use twitter nor Facebook, or any other social media.

But the best place for a "notification" would be simply to add it to the launcher...everyone sees that every time they log into the game.

My initial comment is still..."why would I go to a fan site to find a blizzard announcement?" Being angry at me for voicing my opinion doesn't solve anything.
Patch notes and upcoming patch notes should be in the game imo...
08/01/2018 04:37 PMPosted by Lancerina
With the BfA pre-patch what I believe should of occurred is heavily reduce the amount of pet charms are rewarded for all pet quests to stay in line with what happened during the previous expansion, WoD. Shiny pet charms can still be used to purchase everything that was available during Legion and don't change any costs or currency type. New BfA stuff are purchased using the new Polished Pet Charms. If people don't want to farm old Shiny Pet charms, allow a one way conversion for Polish Pet Charms x1 => 1x Shiny Pet Charm. This way anyone who took time away from WoW for the last month can still cash out on the Charms they obtained during Legion and this solves the thought of trying to hording Shiny Pet Charms to purchase stuff from BfA.

They certainly could have made it so the vendors will exchange currencies. During Wrath, there was a vendor in the Dalaran Sewers who would exchange any of your currencies for any of the other currencies available, so you could buy from any of the vendors who took the specific currencies. Then, those individual vendors would sell other currency types for whichever one they, personally, took.

This would certainly be a more elegant way to have handled this situation. Add currencies to the pet vendors, and sell the old ones for the new ones on a one for one basis, and the new ones for 2x (or however many more the PTB think would be reasonable) of the old currency.

As it is, if someone wants the stuff that still sells for the old currency, they will still have to grind it anyway, but if they want the stuff which has been changed to the new currency, they are SOL until they have some way to obtain that.

Me, I have absolutely no use for the old currency now. I have all of the pets and toys, plus all my pets that I want to be, are max level and I have a bunch of the Ultimate Battle Training Stones from alts getting their garrisons to level 3.
08/01/2018 03:04 PMPosted by Nadyah
You can use them for the same things EXCEPT the stones to insta lvl 25 pets....
Except - everything, horde side, and I would expect on alliance side as well, on my pet battle master Serr'ah takes the new currency. Mystery Bag. Flawless Battle Training Stone. Ultimate Battle Training Stone. Marked Flawless Battle Stone. BATTLE PET BANDAGES. Lesser Pet Treat. Pet Treat. Magical Pet Biscuit. Magical Mini-Treat. Dapper Gentleman Costume. Dread Pirate Costume. Little Princess Costume. Big Pink Bow. This is so stupid. I am there with the OP. I am very casual due to work/school. I never, ever saw this coming. And the stuff that requires new currency? Ludicrous.
Thank you OP for a well thought our and articulated post.

I surprisingly find myself irritated about what is at first glance a pretty minor issue. What irritates me most is the response from the Blue suggesting that everyone should have easily known about this if they had drilled down a specific thread in the Beta forums, or gone to some third-party site or checked a social media platform.

That is a very disappointing response, it is almost like the Blue didn't even read the original post. A nonchalant concession that the change perhaps could have been better communicated is inadequate.

I think I have about 1800 of these in my bank. I wasn't saving them up to try to get a head-start on anything (Blizz has always in my experience made sure people couldn't do that.) I just hadn't got around to exchange them for upgrade stones.

Is it my fault I don't scour every thread on the forum, Beta at that, (which Blizz points out most of the player base doesn't use?) Or didn't pore over every thread at a 3rd party site (one that is notorious for massive amounts of pop-up videos and other annoying advertising), or follow on a social media platform? I contend that it is not.

Blizz reliance on 3rd party platforms to communicate game changes is unacceptable. It seems lazy, inefficient, and dismissive.

I am irritated not so much because I am stuck with a useless (for me) currency, but the way it was communicated, the dismissive response from the Blue, and the continuing push for players to rely on third party sites for important information in the game.
08/01/2018 06:25 PMPosted by Jimindar
I think it is a bit remiss to not be able to acquire the rare upgrade stone in the interim. :/

Finally got an undead valkyr and it is just sitting there at L25 grey with nothing to do.

There is a pet battle quest up on the Broken Shore for a rare upgrade stone, today.
08/01/2018 01:29 PMPosted by Ythisens
Hey guys! Just some clarification that this was a communicated change and we posted about this on the beta forums.

So as players, we're expected to pay close attention to the beta forums, subscribe to the warcraft devs twitter, just so we know of changes in time to do something about them?

I didn't get caught out by this, I already had all the pets/toys, and assorted alts had charms laying around. I happened to see something on wowhead a couple of days in advance, and so consolidated all my charms on one toon, spent them on stones. If I hadn't seen that 3rd party post, I'd have been stuck with maybe 1000 worthless charms, miss out on turning 15 pets rare and on boosting 17 pets from 1-25. Minor annoyance, but would still be an annoyance.

However, you're right it wasn't in the patch notes and we do apologize for that as it should've been in there too and I'll make that a note in the future that we shouldn't miss things like that.

I agree, you shouldn't miss stuff like that.

What this means for you: always-useful items will eventually move to the new currency, so you don't feel obligated to do older content.

The very simple fix would be to temporarily change it back, make always-useful items available to buy with both new & old currency, and clearly announce that those always-useful items will be new currency only on a certain date, say 14th october, 2 months after BfA launch. I expect it'd be easy to implement, just a quick hotfix. Costs players like me nothing, I've already spent my charms. Means those who missed out because blizz forgot to publicise the change properly by putting it in patch notes actually get a chance to use their now-worthless currency before it again becomes worthless to them. Everyone wins.
In the mean time you can still use the Shiny Pet Charms to buy the existing pets and toys,

It's almost as if you skipped over the part of OP's post about that. I'm not being snide.
Thank you, OP, for making such a well thought out post. I'm personally really unhappy about this since I read/watched all the official Blizzard Pre-patch notes/emails/videos/news and it was never mentioned. Plus the buried blue post in the beta forums gave no indication that the change would be implemented at Pre-patch instead of launch.

So I resubbed after the pre-patch thinking I could still convert my charms, but now I have ~1000ish charms that i can't use to level my pets or buy bandages with.
08/01/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Goose
Blizzard needs to do a better job of releasing ALL information well before it goes live in an official matter, and not hidden on the beta forums, where only a handful of people got invited.

To be at least a little bit fair, you don't need an invite to be able to read the beta forums, only to post in them.
Blizzard's entire approach to the changes in the pre-patch has been "Whelp - go look somewhere else."

So little was covered in the official notes other than "Talents have changed yolo" it was embarrassing.

Also, the fact that you are incapable of earning a common pet battle reward in the month leading into a new expansion - you know - when people are re-subscribing is also rather disheartening.

I think a bit more of the "turning off" of the last expansion could happen shortly after launch rather than in the pre-patch. Class hall / world quests no longer giving gold for example.
08/01/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Hellrider
Patch notes and upcoming patch notes should be in the game imo...
I used to play Rift and we had a splash page available in game all the time. So a lot of upcoming information and issues currently relevant were on the splash page as you entered the game.

Kinda hard to miss that since it took up half your screen. Sorta like those pop up screens in Wow for Achievements or Battle grounds, etc. Except this was automatically opened immediately upon logging into the game. An announcement page with pointers (like those on the launcher) that you could click on to move the page forward or backward. Very handy because there was also new stuff listed there that was pertinent to your current questing or dungeon runs.

And the good thing about how it was handled is you could open that splash page anytime while in game ...sorta like we can open our Achievements panel.
I was very sad when I read, after the patch, that these couldn't be used anymore for the stones. I leveled an alt via pet battles by farming the world for new pets. I kept one of each world pet minus 2 rares I have yet to find. Unfortunately I have yet to find the time to research which pets are good and which should be stoned to rare/25 so I just kept the charms I found. I made it to 5 stacks (5000) of charms before I quit doing the world quests to farm them.

Now I ponder if all my 100+ upgrade to rare tokens I have in the bank will disappear too!

I already bought all the items you can buy with them :(
Hey guys! Just some clarification that this was a communicated change and we posted about this on the beta forums.

Here is a link to the post on it when we made that change on the beta and some follow up from Muffinus on some philosophy behind it:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762158027?page=5#post-82
05/24/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Muffinus
What this means for you: always-useful items will eventually move to the new currency, so you don't feel obligated to do older content. If you still need pets from older content, they are purchasable with that content's charms.

This was something that was communicated on the forums and was repeated by lots of fan sites and individuals on social media as well as our own accounts leading up to the 8.0 patch.
https://twitter.com/warcraftdevs/status/999801175212933120?lang=en

However, you're right it wasn't in the patch notes and we do apologize for that as it should've been in there too and I'll make that a note in the future that we shouldn't miss things like that. In the mean time you can still use the Shiny Pet Charms to buy the existing pets and toys, and the new Pet Charms will be available once we get into BfA.

Disappointing that you need to follow 2, 3, 10 "outlets" to find out what changes are coming, but kudos for the acknowledgement.
I also want to thank the OP for a concise and well thought out and written post.

While I don't pet battle myself, I am also one who is so sick and tired of having to hear about changes, information from god damn twitter or 3rd party sites. I am old and I don't twitter, or face book or any of that stupid social media crap. I like my life private and feel so bad for kids that are going to one day really regret that stuff that is going to be out there forever.

My wife is big into the pet battles and she also got blindsided by this change. She spent the next four days getting mad every time she opened the wow launcher and not playing. 1000+ charms worth of upgrade stones lost.

Blizz, I get it, sometimes things get missed, but you guys F'ed up here and you should make it right.

Especially since making a vendor change for a couple of weeks before BFA goes live to correct this oversight shouldn't be to hard.