Teldrassil - Justified by War

General Discussion
I keep seeing the same threads repeated...

"The Horde is evil," "Why are they doing this," "The Horde are terrorists!"

This next piece illustrates the long history of the faction conflict and can be skipped over if you've actually been paying any attention to this game.

The rationalizations make no sense to me. There hasn't been a single point since classic in which the faction war has not gone on. Not in Burning Crusade, as we skirmished in Hellfire Peninsula or fought over territory in Netherstorm. Not in Wrath of the Lich King as we skirmished over the entire continent, fought over the Strands of the Ancients, waged a large-scale land dispute in Wintergrasp, and even skirmished in Icecrown as we set upon the Lich King. Neither in Cataclysm, as we fought over a ravaged world for new territory boundaries, waged war in Gilneas, and fought for dominance of the Twilight Highlands. Not in Mists as we skirmished getting to Pandaria and waged war all over it, fought for resources in Silvershard Mines, fought for territory in the Temple of Kotmogu and Deepwind Gorge. Not in Warlords of Draenor either, as we skirmished over territory and resources in an alternate universe as well, fighting a long-lasting campaign in Ashran, resolved the long-lasting feud for South Shore in a Horde victory. Finally, we bring it to Legion, in which we fought a skirmish in Stormheim and waged territory disputes across the entire isle even with the Legion at our doorstep.

All of this illustrates just how deep our feud runs, just how uncompromising the faction war has been even in the face of existential threats.. Finally, we turn to the War of Thorns.

Should we have ignored the Night Elves overextended army? Should we have ignored the possibility of securing sovereignty over Kalimdor? Should we have ignored the possibility of saving countless Horde lives in wiping our main contender in Kalimdor off the map?

For all the reasons I stated above, to ignore this opportunity would mean our faction leaders were damn fools. We've never been true allies, and we've never stopped fighting. To see other players label the Horde as terrorist or evil for pressing their advantage in war has only shown me how little the player base actively pays attention to the story going on around them.

Side note: It was the dying elf that claimed Sylvanas wages war on life, not Sylvanas herself. I saw this as nothing more than final words from a defeated soldier whom ended her point on the everlasting duration of hope--hope, being the driving force in Sylvanas' decision to kill it by setting Teldrassil aflame.
Burning the tree was kinda stupid when it was a perfectly fine seaport.
I honestly was ok with everything up to the point Slyvanas decides to burn the tree.
It doesn't really make sense to destroy the very thing your trying to take control of.
Oh shut up.

Remember when Jaina could have decimated your mud hut called Orgrimaar and the rest of Durotar, but she listened to the council of Kalec and didn't turn your city into an under water grave?

Yea, because prevailing minds know genocide is fk'd up and that its the military and the commanding officers that's fair game in war.

There are still rules in war, even if you blind sylvanas fanatics and #imwithher crew choose to not believe it.
07/31/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Mezasu
There are still rules in war, even if you blind sylvanas fanatics and #imwithher crew choose to not believe it.

Has NATO suddenly set up an embassy on Azeroth? There are no rules to war in Warcraft...
Oh shut up.

Remember when Jaina could have decimated your mud hut called Orgrimaar and the rest of Durotar, but she listened to the council of Kalec and didn't turn your city into an under water grave?

Yea, because prevailing minds know genocide is fk'd up and that its the military and the commanding officers that's fair game in war.

You obviously don't know much about the history of warfare. The rules of war change with every conflict and every generation.

#imwithher
Sylvanas Pre-Tree: "Champion! I must claim Teldrassil. It is a vital location to the horde"
Champion: "Okay."

Sylvanas Post-Tree: "Burn that tree to spite this dying elf"
Nathanos Blightcaller: "...." [hesitating]
Sylvanas Post-Tree: "I SAID BURN IT!"
Sylvanas did what needed to be done. She denied the Alliance a key port to funnel Azerite to Stormwind. She also guaranteed the Horde's survival on Kalimdor for future generations. Lastly, the Horde now has replenished natural resources (food, water, wood, shelter) in Ashenvale and Darkshore.

GG. #ImWithHer
It's inconsistent writing for a fairly consistent character with an inconsistent act of aggression followed by an inconsistent act of brutality.

Nothing about this is consistent with the story. You can argue that preemptive policy was at play, but it wasn't. Both factions were recovering from war, Sylvanas decided to take advantage by attempting to take control of a strategic chokepoint for an extremely powerful resource, and then she... burns it to the ground just to spite a dying footsoldier?

The Horde leader that it could be argued is the most strategically oriented leader decides to burn an immensely important source or chokepoint out of uncontrolled fury?

Up until this point, what you say makes sense. Once she burns the tree, the entire consistency of her character flies out the window.
So, Jaina is evil for wanting to flood Orgrimmar but Teldrassil is justified?
I dont mind Sylvanas burning the tree, I mind that they made her do it in a fit. She's suppose to use cold logic to decide her moves, not emotions.

What I learned today, don't talk back to someone with a torch in his hand when you're next to your paper house. There wasn't anything justified in that decision at the moment, even Nathanos take a step back, it was just hate and rage.
07/31/2018 10:11 AMPosted by Saurfang
For all the reasons I stated above, to ignore this opportunity would mean our faction leaders were damn fools. We've never been true allies, and we've never stopped fighting. To see other players label the Horde as terrorist or evil for pressing their advantage in war has only shown me how little the player base actively pays attention to the story going on around them.

Except, this is a two-faction game. You cannot paint one faction as entirely evil or have one faction "win" the war. Blizzard has painted itself into a corner. If Sylvanas is a raid boss, then the Horde will lose another Warchief. That hardly instills faction pride. If Sylvanas is not a raid boss to be killed, then the Alliance will be denied justice yet again. That hardly instills faction pride. Yet here we are. The Horde has been painted as entirely evil and subservient to the whims of an emotionally weak Warchief. How does Blizzard get back to factional balance in the storyline from this deep nadir it has created?
07/31/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Patchs

Whatever realization she had from the words of that Elf, from my perspective she was aiming to kill hope in an Alliance victory. Looked like a Shock and Awe tactic to me in its purest form.

With that act she demonstrated how far she was willing to go to win the faction war that has been waged since the inception of the Horde and demoralize the Alliance moving forward.

If the forums are any indication, it worked.

07/31/2018 10:21 AMPosted by Rúnas

Quote my words in which I said that.
07/31/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Saurfang

Has NATO suddenly set up an embassy on Azeroth? There are no rules to war in Warcraft...

Seeing how theres a book called warcrimes, A person who has a brain could say that they have things like it in azeroth too
I mean Garrosh was put on trial for doing something really similar to this with Theramore.
07/31/2018 10:23 AMPosted by Saurfang
07/31/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Patchs

Whatever realization she had from the words of that Elf, from my perspective she was aiming to kill hope in an Alliance victory. Looked like a Shock and Awe tactic to me in its purest form.

With that act she demonstrated how far she was willing to go to win the faction war that has been waged since the inception of the Horde and demoralize the Alliance moving forward.

If the forums are any indication, it worked.

07/31/2018 10:21 AMPosted by Rúnas

Quote my words in which I said that.

Seemed to have the opposite effecte no? Judging by the forums, it's the Horde who are despairing while the Alliance has something to rally behind (and have moral justification as well).

They talk about Warcrimes in the game.

But I guess you're so god damn high off the lime green jello sylvanas has been feeding you, it doesn't matter what any one says.

I don't believe Varok Saurfang would agree with that.
07/31/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Kementari
Seemed to have the opposite effecte no? Judging by the forums, it's the Horde who are despairing while the Alliance has something to rally behind (and have moral justification as well).

That's a blanket statement. They never turn out well.

Im Horde. There are posters in this topic that are Horde. We dont feel the way you described.

07/31/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Rathenelatt
I mean Garrosh was put on trial for doing something really similar to this with Theramore.

He stole the Focusing Iris to do that. Emphasis on stole
07/31/2018 10:11 AMPosted by Saurfang
Side note: It was the dying elf that claimed Sylvanas wages war on life, not Sylvanas herself. I saw this as nothing more than final words from a defeated soldier whom ended her point on the everlasting duration of hope--hope, being the driving force in Sylvanas' decision to kill it by setting Teldrassil aflame.

Stop saying this! Read the effing novel people. Sylvanas has plans to cloak the world in undeath. She wants to sack Stormwind so she can raise more undead. She wants EVERYONE to be raised.