Shadowbolt vs Drain Soul. A lament.

Warlock
There is a genuine argument for drain filler spells, at least historically, for being crucial to DPS. Malefic Grasp in MoP would throttle your DoTs every time it ticked. It sounds like DS/MG did similar in Legion? Shadowbolt is just mundane, though. Even the new animation can't help me love spamming that dumb spell. At least with DS you can clip a tick before having to move, whereas with Shadowbolt you have to finish the cast.

I'm not really sure what the solution is to this. Drain Life can't be a filler because Blizz doesn't want superfluous healing in a filler.
Malefic Grasp and Drain soul were more akin to the class fantasy than shadow bolt filler
However, instant shadow bolt as a proc is fun.
Shadow Bolt > Drain Fun
07/28/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Judecca
Malefic Grasp and Drain soul were more akin to the class fantasy than shadow bolt filler

If It was baseline at least. It's so f weak If compared to the other choices...It should give us a shard If casted with the proc or If wasnt PPM It would be actually good
I dont know why anyone would want shadow bolt as a filler back like.. We have 2 specs, and 3 or 4 other caster classes that fire lame projectiles pick one lol.

Anyhow they need to buff drain soul alot, Either make it more about survival than damage and bring back the crazy healing or just fuse it with MG effect and call it a day.
If having Shadowbolt replace Drain Soul as the Affliction Warlock’s filler destroyed the class for you, you’re grievously overreacting... with all due respect. We still have just about all of the other dots we had in Legion and we can still use Drain Soul as our filler if we choose to do so.
I'm more concerned that when you look at highest possible output (ATM) every single boss uses the same talents. So .. kinda takes the skill/flexibility out of that honey pot.
07/27/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Sceress
You mean that thing where we did bottom of the heap dps?
Affliction dps was fine on most encounters (only exactly 1 target fights sucked) before they brought back MG.

07/28/2018 12:48 PMPosted by Zulya
Legion Affliction was so boring I unsubbed in the middle of Mythic Nighthold progression. It boggles my mind that anyone could enjoy the mindless rotation of the UA drain cycles. PvP is a different story, but I have no experience in that aspect, so I can't say much about it.

Indeed. Not only is it immobile and takes the power out of our dots so we get screwed by mobility, but it's also BORING.

07/28/2018 04:36 PMPosted by Trpologonina
That's why It should be a talent option, because there is people who likes to sit and drain.

And Shadow Priest exists. Affliction Warlocks have spent half this game without a slower Mind Flay except as an execute button.

07/28/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Judecca

Reminder that MG didn't even exist until Cata or MOP.
I'm talking about class fantasy here. Fun/rewarding vs unrewarding. SB as a filler isn't fun or rewarding. It has literally nothing to do with affliction. Literally right in the spec description, it says "drains and damage over time". The class fantasy is all about stealing and sucking the life force/soul from the target. Legion affliction was all about that in spades. Gul'dan even used that !@#$ in the movie. BFA affliction has done a literal *complete* 180 on that entire concept, and turned DS into a cosmetic nostalgia talent; and quite frankly a waste of talent tree space. You can argue all you want that it's still available as a talent choice, but if I want to remain relevant in my raid group with top DPS, then no. It isn't an option.

Sorry if you personally found it "boring" to drain soul, but a lot of us loved the idea of maniacally laughing while draining life and soul while the dots were destroying the target. Oh and if you say anything about mobility, then you weren't playing affliction right. The portals + burning rush provided well enough mobility in raids with DS.

Also do I really need to mention dark glare? Demo called, it wants its demon back with the other demons where it belongs. Enough said. The mechanic is cool. A spell that increases the DOT timer is rad, and I am here for it; but a retouched observer?
Why are you people so hung up on the least important spell in your rotation?
07/29/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Zyyras
Why are you people so hung up on the least important spell in your rotation?

Because it's bad. We have a spell that we can't use (most of the time. I rarely pressed Shadow Bolt during playing with Aff in this pre patch), meanwhile they prune the spells that were useful and fun...bad design by Blizzard. I always was against SB coming back, but i thought it was ok because it would change the spec a little (maybe it would add a certain dificult level of knowledge of DoT timers and cast time) but it's weak, almost uncastable and it's actually bad having this spell since we have 2 talents around that stupid filler (and they're all weaker than the other options).
07/27/2018 03:47 PMPosted by Chromey

Can we not?
It's already bad enough being as immobile of turrets as we are AND having our self-sustain halved AND Burning Rush still costing far too much health.

You people brought back the trash called Malefic Grasp and completely ruined the good thing Affliction had going before Nighthold by crippling our damage whenever we weren't just standing still drooling on our Drain Soul key for 5sec naps at a time.
STOP RUINING AFFLICTION.
Let our power be DOTs, not some filler spell.
Stop trying to push power into the filler spell, it kills our dps whenever we have to move.
Bad.
Bad.
You people seriously don't know what's good for you.

No one's asking for our filler spell to be our main damage source, just for it to actually work with our current play style. A channeled filler is so much better because you can take a tick or two of damage and then react to something, be it refreshing a dot or the movement you keep bringing up. It doesn't encourage turret gameplay it just makes us more flexible.
While it's nice to have options, and I feel like we have more options now than we ever had, I think a lot of power has been stripped from our actual DoTs, or perhaps moved into other things like Shadowbolt.

It's nice to have it, but it has no real synergy with anything if you don't get Shadow Embrace (which doesn't feel great having to maintain).

Siphon Life feels much, much weaker now and not just in the healing aspect. Writhe in Agony had been nerfed from 20 stacks a while back, and the Corruption talent is nice but then Agony doesn't feel like it has a big impact.

We got all these cool additions but I feel like there has been a bit of a misstep on what really makes us Affliction warlocks. DoTs and our ability to spread them.
07/29/2018 01:17 AMPosted by Xerash
If having Shadowbolt replace Drain Soul as the Affliction Warlock’s filler destroyed the class for you, you’re grievously overreacting... with all due respect. We still have just about all of the other dots we had in Legion and we can still use Drain Soul as our filler if we choose to do so.
I'll be honest: They should have make Shadowbolt the talent instead, and make Nightfall baseline when you pick Shadowbolt.

Not that it mattered now because all those SB fans are now flocking to Deathbolt instead.
Maybe drain soul can be sometime... Drain soul shard like before, shadow embrace change to "malefic grasp" when you use drain soul.
I wonder if having shadobolt build shards would make it more interesting. Certainly more consistency would come to the spec.

I just want dots to hit harder than the filler.
Wrath affliction was awesome like that
I don't really notice it tbh, too busy whackin' bosses with 70k Deathbolts.
Man I LOVE Deathbolt.

Seriously though, I don't mind it. I would love for it to be baseline with SB, but that would probably be too op.
Whatever happens though, I hope legion MG never returns. I would rather have SB filler than DS + MG, I'm fine a return of like MoP MG but let's never combine DS/MG again please. That was an awful science experiment that I hope they never try again.
07/28/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Schirmlock
There is a genuine argument for drain filler spells, at least historically, for being crucial to DPS. Malefic Grasp in MoP would throttle your DoTs every time it ticked. It sounds like DS/MG did similar in Legion? Shadowbolt is just mundane, though. Even the new animation can't help me love spamming that dumb spell. At least with DS you can clip a tick before having to move, whereas with Shadowbolt you have to finish the cast.

I'm not really sure what the solution is to this. Drain Life can't be a filler because Blizz doesn't want superfluous healing in a filler.

Drain Life was used a lot in Vanilla, heal the Void drained the Locks life on Health Funnel. Comical but nice having to switch a few times, Siphon Life was castable on multiple Mobs and that was God Like, like a Life bloom for each Mob.

The only bad thing back then was having to kill green + mobs for Soul Shards before a raid, 40 was it ?.

We have changed so many times up to now. I also feel that before launch of Bfa some fine tuning for all classes, i accept changes because i love my Warlock, rolled two before realm change.

Peace
07/27/2018 01:25 PMPosted by Trpologonina
This Drain Soul will be used just in m+ for shardsniping and maybe in conjuction with Shadow Embrace in multi-target sustained fights, other than that it just sucks

Sadly it won't. You will want Deathbolt for bosses and the possible gains you would of gotten for sharding gets overshadowed by the sheer amount of damage and consistency Deathbolt brings.

07/27/2018 03:47 PMPosted by Chromey
It's already bad enough being as immobile of turrets as we are AND having our self-sustain halved AND Burning Rush still costing far too much health.

What you had before nighthold was Drainl Life Filler (that did nothing and look like a gre spaghetti string), Mandatory Absolute corruption for everything, and Soul Effigy. NH Aff was infinitely better then EN/ToV Aff. PS: MG gave aff a ST option to balance around moving you from gutter ST to middle of the pact.
Affliction dps was fine on most encounters (only exactly 1 target fights sucked) before they brought back MG.

They had awful ST before MG, implementing MG wasn't what made aff OP(refer to 7.1.5 parses), and even in Antorus on pore ST fights they were so-so. The only thing MG actually did was break the choices in that tree when it was 70%. Deathbolt is doing the exact same thing.

And Shadow Priest exists. Affliction Warlocks have spent half this game without a slower Mind Flay except as an execute button.

And all three mage specs, boomkins, destro, and demo exists if you wanna nuke? what exactly is your poing here?

Indeed. Not only is it immobile and takes the power out of our dots so we get screwed by mobility, but it's also BORING.

Boring is an opinion. I thought it was enjoyable because there were things to think about such as the efficient time to use souls and when to hold or dump UAs. you had to kinda get a feel for the spec to perform well.

BfA Affliction though? make sure DoT is always up, make sure Haunt is always up, use Deathbolt on CD. Its static, stale, and has no substance. At least specs with similar play styles have some sort of proc to help break up the rotation a bit.

07/29/2018 09:49 AMPosted by Chromey
Reminder that MG didn't even exist until Cata or MOP.

Why does that matter, we are talking about right now and what we are going from and into.