Sad Day For Sure

General Discussion
Ik it's not Warcraft related (unless you count it for how you viewed the Warcraft movie).. But RIP MoviePass =/
I need more details, kind sir.
What? No!
Yeah, it's done. Stock fell below a buck today.

Never used it myself, personally. Everyone sort of knew it was a doomed concept.
07/30/2018 03:08 PMPosted by Gormosh
I need more details, kind sir.

They're out of money.
MoviePass was $10/month for essentially unlimited movies at any theater.
They've been functional for 3 years and gf/I have seen over 40 movies w/ them just within the last year.

=/
How is it possible that a company that sells unlimited $15 movie tickets for $10/month doesn't survive?

I mean, it's such a great deal!
This would be better off posted in the forum at the link below:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/2721886/

But, I've yet to see an article saying Moviepass was dead...last I heard, it said it was underperforming at the stock market, but nothing saying it was shut down.
07/30/2018 03:11 PMPosted by Gorev

But, I've yet to see an article saying Moviepass was dead...last I heard, it said it was underperforming at the stock market, but nothing saying it was shut down.

Using their app. No theater have any movies.
Even e-ticketing is gone now.
I think their final $ has been spent...
Didn't people heavily abuse this?
07/30/2018 03:10 PMPosted by Piddy
How is it possible that a company that sells unlimited $15 movie tickets for $10/month doesn't survive?

To be fair, I watch like 2-3 movies a year at most. I imagine they assumed most people were like that.
07/30/2018 03:11 PMPosted by Gorev

ur not wrong but on the first page alone the last post on the page is Jun 18th lol hes better finding responses here

Where movie theaters really make their profit is in concessions. I'm sure the idea was that someone would buy a movie pass, go to lots of movies, and invite friends who would pay full price for tickets, while all of them would buy concessions every time.
I would have gotten one of those if i didn't have to drive 20-30 minutes out of my way to see a movie.

07/30/2018 03:14 PMPosted by Syllaiesta

Where movie theaters really make their profit is in concessions. I'm sure the idea was that someone would buy a movie pass, go to lots of movies, and invite friends who would pay full price for tickets, while all of them would buy concessions every time.

They mustn't have realized that anyone with a brain was buying their snacks at the dollar store and bringing along a friend with a huge purse to hide them all.

I always bought concessions cuz this was their business plan.
Don't think they ever got a concessions deal though
rofit is in concessions. I'm sure the idea was that someone would buy a movie pass, go to lots of movies, and invite friends who would pay full price for tickets, while all of them would buy concessions every time.

I know several theaters where the concession area is open to the public, anyone can walk in and buy $10 popcorn.

But, for some reason, the movies aren't free.

Back in the day, at the $2 theater for a double feature, I'd go every weekend just for the air conditioning. Saw a whole bunch of forgettable movies.

Similarly, there was (later) $4 movie night on Tuesday. I'd see almost anything for $4, and I did.

Nowadays, it's hard to find anything worth seeing at all, and even then I'm simply better off and happier renting it from Apple with my fanny on my couch petting the cat, something the theater can't offer.

That said, hoping to see Mission Impossible, and I saw the recent Avengers.

They even tried to get the theater chains (AMC, Cinemark, Etc...) to pay for the tickets originally. Underwrite the basically free tickets and make up the money on concession sales.

Too bad the chains saw through the folly of diverting money to a third-party for no real benefit on their bottom line.
07/30/2018 03:15 PMPosted by Averax
They mustn't have realized that anyone with a brain was buying their snacks at the dollar store and bringing along a friend with a huge purse to hide them all.

That, and the employees don't get paid enough to actually care.

On the rare occasion one makes some comment akin to, "you know, you're really not supposed to bring in outside food......" my reply is, "when you guys sell stuff I want to buy at a price I'm willing to pay, I'll hit up the concession stand. Otherwise, I'll get it elsewhere."
07/30/2018 03:30 PMPosted by Thatsnotmilk
07/30/2018 03:15 PMPosted by Averax

That, and the employees don't get paid enough to actually care.

On the rare occasion one makes some comment akin to, "you know, you're really not supposed to bring in outside food......" my reply is, "when you guys sell stuff I want to buy at a price I'm willing to pay, I'll hit up the concession stand. Otherwise, I'll get it elsewhere."

Wow, rude :p Then they'd probably kick you out and not refund your ticket
07/30/2018 03:33 PMPosted by Ånubis
Wow, rude :p Then they'd probably kick you out and not refund your ticket
i think its a pretty polite way of saying whats true, if i go to the movies we never buy anything but maybe popcorn there, the theater folk dont care. we brought taco bell in once and when i was down in florida an entire TGIFridays meal+apetizers, thats what ya get for not checkin bags ya dolfs. the tgifridays was just because they were extremely slow that day and we ran out of time though
07/30/2018 03:13 PMPosted by Espur

To be fair, I watch like 2-3 movies a year at most. I imagine they assumed most people were like that.

And when I eat KFC I only eat 2-3 pieces of chicken, unless I get the buffet then it's 10-12.