Why did people Dislike MoP

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
I loved Pandaria, It was a peaceful expansion, and I still return to my farm. The landscape is gorgeous, and I loved finding treasures.

As a Horde I enjoyed the interactions with Anduin. I liked his justice and fairness, and found him willing to see the world with unbiased eyes. I started playing when he was a scab-knee-ed boy running around his absent father's throne room, so to see him grow up, into a young man any parent would be proud of, was nice. There was a continuity to his story that I feel has become tattered and lost.

I have thoroughly enjoyed every expansion, and have appreciated them for what they offered.
07/27/2018 11:46 PMPosted by Tortuyo
Pandas

Wait, you dislike killing Pandaran players? The look so funny flopping around before dying.
Wotlk > tbc = MoP =/> legion > Cata >>>> WoD.

WoD was a shytshow. On all fronts. I can't weigh in on vanilla, I started playing in early TBC.
Bad:
Pandas.
Excessive amounts of dailies.
Scenarios were very much a hit or miss.
Siege of orgrimmar content drought.
Started the warforging/titanforging concept.
Started the welfare legendary concept (though I think it was executed well in MoP).
The start of personal responsibility raid encounters, where one person can just wipe your raid if he doesnt do something properly. Getting punished for someone elses mistake is annoying and I am confused why they have continued it.

Good: Basically everything else.
Best music and zone design they have ever had.
Timeless Isle is the best of its kind.
By far the best class design to ever exist, the warlock developer for Mists of Pandaria deserves his salary more than the entire class design team combined at this point.
Raids were pretty good past the initial release.
Introduction of challenge modes, which inspired M+ and likely the mage tower to a certain extent.
07/28/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Kahl
the warlock developer for Mists of Pandaria deserves his salary more than the entire class design team combined at this point.

He also deserved a friendly shove in the arm for that nightmarish, tear inducing Green Fire quest!
The Pandas and NPCs in general. The world itself is beautiful though!
07/28/2018 08:49 AMPosted by Kaath
Pandas

Wait, you dislike killing Pandaran players? The look so funny flopping around before dying.

True but I never see any pvp.
Pandas

Says the cow.
Only thing I disliked was the content drought at the end of Siege of Orgrimmar. Aside from that I loved it. The expansion I joined into, learned the game and by the end of it all I was happily settled with a guild and meeting a bunch of cool people.

The way I see it at the end of the day, time goes on and expansions pass and the crowds divide - one half thinks (current expansion) is better than (previous expansion) and the other half is the opposite. So example, we'll be a year into BfA and then we'll start seeing posts that talk about their good/bad times in Legion.
The permanent destruction of the Vale.

Seriously that should be phased.
The required rep grind at the first killed it for me. I unsubbed pretty early on and didn't come back until WOD.
I liked mists I didn't unsub after mists because I didn't like it. I had to focus on other things hehe.
07/27/2018 11:44 PMPosted by Lilgoaty
Why did people dislike MoP?

Simple:

Warcraft is a medieval fantasy in a mostly "European" setting with small zones being representative of Classical Mongol (Orc), Primal Africa (troll), Native American (tauren), Viking (Dwarves/Vykrul), Japanese-Greek (Night Elves), steam punk (Goblins and Gnomes), crystal magic (dreanei), and Gothic Horror (Forsaken and Gilnean)

Pandaria was over the top pure Chinese, not a mix of classical cultures like everything else, not a unique creation that fit Warcraft, just a straight up trope filled continent.

Look at the Elves of Warcraft. They are a mix of European and Asian aesthetics. Even Humans are not one Type of European, but a mix of everything from Russia to Spain.

Pandaria could have been amazing, if they did a better art direction instead of making a Chinese MMO. MoP had some of the best Gameplay in WOW history (except PVP). Hell even the story wasn't that bad, the problem was the look and feel wasn't WarCraft.

--

Edit, I should point out where Blizzard found perfection in MoP. The Klaxxi and the Dread Wastes, the Mantid zones were unique, they fit WarCrafts design, and it was my favorite MoP content because of it.
I personally loved MoP. I think it's one of the more scenic areas in wow and I still find myself wanting to go back and explore it all over again.
after around 6 years a better question is why are threads like this still a thing?
07/28/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Mary
Pandaria could have been amazing, if they did a better art direction instead of making a Chinese MMO. MoP had some of the best Gameplay in WOW history (except PVP). Hell even the story wasn't that bad, the problem was the look and feel wasn't WarCraft.

This is the problem with WoW. MoP still looked and felt like WoW but people did not like the theme. It was not a "Chinese" MMO but a lot of crazy xenophobic people will label it as such.

If you look at themes WoW, itself does not have a theme. All the themes are tied to races and those racial zones. This explains the whole theme of MoP. Now if we are going to talk about none crazy reasons there were three really major ones.

Dailies, Rep and Drought

Gating rep behind other rep was painful. There were a ton of dailies as well, was also about the time the limit on how many dailies you can do a day was lifted. So it was really easy to burn out on them. Once you got your rep the need to do dailies and the rep grind for gear (rep vendors had really good gear for some classes) it was okay. MoP also ended with one of the best, imo, rep systems. The rep boost you could buy that was account wide and the ease of getting tokens made getting rep on alts feel much better.

The last thing is the large content drought at the end. Lack of content is what really sours people on an xpac.
Pandas
I find it hilarious in a game with talking cows, dogs, and garden gnomes, that pandas are the race to break the so called "immersion" for some people.

I can already see people saying "BFA sucked because Vulpera became a playable race!"
- Lots of people didn't like the theme. Didn't feel particularly warcrafty.
- At the start of the expac they went overboard on the number of dailies available. Was something like 2-3 hours worth of daily grinding every day to keep on top of things. People say it was because of the VP rewards being gated behind them... but gear being gated behind reps has always been a thing. IMO it was just the sheer number of dailies that was the issue. Having said that, going back, they are actually really cool.
- The huge content drought of SoO.

IMO, looking back... it actually was a very good expac and I miss it.

Side note... To everyone complaining about Legion time/rep gating... that's always been a thing... Heck, I'm doing the Operation Shieldwall questline atm and low and behold... rep gate upon rep gate.
It's the best expansion, had the best story, best art design and music, had a lot of great content and some of the best raids.

People didn't like it because of preconceived notions, repeated memes about "joke races," and because people hate change, wanting the same thing over and over.
Where are we getting the idea that "people disliked MoP?"

This feels like one of those statements seen frequently on the internet that are trying to sound like established opinion, or the majority opinion, when they really aren't.

It's similar to:

"Everyone is saying that MoP was terrible."

Everyone is not saying that, most likely. It is being made up to sound important.

Anyway, the concept for Pandaria was originally met with some skepticism, but it turned out to be a great experience. In terms of the creative and artistic design, it is a masterpiece, absolutely magnificent. It was also original in many ways, clever, and it had a very unique feel.

As a player, I would cite it as one of my favorite expansions.

Not sure how Blizzard saw it on their end, but they must have seen it as a least reasonably successful, I think. Moreso than Cataclysm, which had a lot of problems, especially early on.