Was this the desired outcome Blizzard wanted?

General Discussion
So I have done the War of Thorns on both Horde and Alliance. It was heartbreaking on both sides and very confusing on the Horde side.

I still have no clear idea why Slyvanas went to war with a faction we have spent the last several years working with. Tensions are always high on both sides but this "preemptive strike" makes absolutely no sense. The sheer destruction and murder of civilians is a war crime, plain and simple. There is no redeeming the Horde at this point. You can not unring this bell.

Now we have Alliance players angry and disgusted at the Horde players behind their characters and the Horde players are about evenly divided on whether not not this barbaric attack was a good thing. So basically we have Alliance made at Horde and Horde mad at Horde.

If Blizzard was going for faction pride to kick off BFA they have failed miserably. There was nothing to be proud about in the event.
...they have failed miserably. There was nothing to be proud about in the event.
Especially for Blizz.

They are making a departure from the game easier. Why quit when they have put you to sleep?
No, I'm sure they are mystified by the outcome they produced. However, they won't learn from it, they will double-down on whatever direction the wind has dictated.
Was this the desired outcome Blizzard wanted?

saying like this is so redundant

also yes
@OP I agree. I have 0 motivation to defend the Undercity next week. If the Alliance want Sylvanas they can have her.
No, I'm pretty sure what they desired was Horde and Alliance hating each other.

What they got was everyone hating the writers.
Blizzard knows what it's doing.
Well they sure have stirred up a lot of controversy and discussion.

5 minute post lifespan on the front page and that's been going on all day...
Probably yes. People would have complained either way.

At least this way some of the complaints will be directed at how the opposing faction behaved.
07/31/2018 08:52 PMPosted by Runedblade
Blizzard knows what it's doing.

This troll approves this troll.
Yes, this is very bad story telling.

At this point I am totally lost as far as the storyline goes.

Can we get a blue to explain this storyline to us?

Horde discovers "unobtanium" ... Alliance finds it too. Then sylvanus needs to go to war with a faction that we have fought side by side with because of "the future of the horde"?

Blizzard ... Fire Your Storywriter. You need to nip this in the bud or you are going to kill the game. T
People didn't complain much about the Legion pre-patch event. This event, however, can just stop. I've done the Undercity bits on beta... and it's super-meh, IMO.

I can't recall a pre-patch event that I've liked less than this one :(
07/31/2018 08:52 PMPosted by Adelphie
No, I'm pretty sure what they desired was Horde and Alliance hating each other.

What they got was everyone hating the writers.

Exactly. I'm old enough to remember the ending of Mass Effect 3. This feels awful familiar.
07/31/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Celindas
Now we have Alliance players angry and disgusted at the Horde players behind their characters and the Horde players are about evenly divided on whether not not this barbaric attack was a good thing. So basically we have Alliance made at Horde and Horde mad at Horde.

Art imitates life yet again.

/sigh

/moo
07/31/2018 08:50 PMPosted by Django
No, I'm sure they are mystified by the outcome they produced. However, they won't learn from it, they will double-down on whatever direction the wind has dictated.

I'm sure by this point they have everything pretty much set in stone, so a player revolt can't change anything. They have little choice but to double down, as it goes against every fiber of human nature to say "Sorry we messed up, but we can't fix it now. We will try to do better in the next expansion 2 years from now."

P.S. I suppose they could also lie and say "Wait and see, everything will become clear/will get better!"
There was a prelude to this on the Broken Shore at the beginning of Legion. The Alliance raging at the Horde for the retreat, and the Horde trying to justify why it was our only option.

Since Pandaria our credibility, ethics and morality have been questioned and diluted, culminating in this.

This feels so ugly I doubt I'll be logging in any time soon, my enjoyment of the game is dust at my feet, at the moment, and that's why I play; enjoyment.

There are many more fun things I will enjoy in my spare time.
You guys have to chill out. Blizz has a long term goal. the story is written. Enjoy the ride.
They got some good old fashioned faction hate going on.

Which is what we needed. Pay no attention to the silly horde that whine about writing. Most of them will shed their spines and play alliance.
Because F- the Alliance

For.
The.
Horde!

(Also because boy king doesn't know how to wear his special little boy hat)
Ya they've done some pretty whacky things and they seem to just be trying to make us hate our home girl sylv

Take this for example she almost gets beat down by malf until our new insert horde guy with morals rocks up and saves her and she acts like a knob about it then does the classic I'll walk away whilst you kill him - however i will grab some random no body and make them watch me burn down your home even tho you just said it's full of babies and kittens. Like why didn't she drag malf to make him watch the whole place burn then behead him or make him a POW