How can catapults burn a world tree?

General Discussion
lol @ the people trying to reason this out... the size of that ammunition vs. the size of the tree... come on... they would literally hit the side of the tree and blow up leaving.... slightly scorched wood?? not to mention the tree is LITERALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF AN OCEAN.. the wood would be wet, the air would be filled with moisture and sea spray.
Didn’t you watch the video? It was very clearly animated.
08/01/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Gleyal
lol @ the people trying to reason this out... the size of that ammunition vs. the size of the tree... come on... they would literally hit the side of the tree and blow up leaving.... slightly scorched wood?? not to mention the tree is LITERALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF AN OCEAN.. the wood would be wet, the air would be filled with moisture and sea spray.

What you don't realize was that it was just one mage who realized the tree is alive and then cast living bomb on it. That then spread to the Night Elves on Teldrassil. So Teldrassil was actually destroyed by its own inhabitants clearly.
Cause blizz thinks its cool. I mean we just went through this with Sargeras' magic shrinking sword and gentle hands of azeroth caressing.
08/01/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Gleyal

Yes, and as a living tree, the wood itself would not exactly be dry. That doesn't matter, anymore than it would matter if somehow a decent-sized real world nuke had been dropped on it.
Well the cats should have been filled with rocks to kill the armies. But when Sylvanas said to burn it down they must of stopped everything and changed out the rock to pitch which is a hot gooey mess that sticks to the tree and burns anything it touches. Most definitely this would have helped to counteract the green living wood problem. Also having been saving npc's in the city there was a massive amout of stuff thrown at that poor tree. Hard for anything to survive.
Magic. It's a great way to hand-wave any bad writing.

They could have had swarms of plaguebats flying overhead, bombing the city. They brought enough of them to give one away to every Horde player, but you never see them get used.
Okay I'll bite OP

Go get some diesel, grab some foam and throw it in the diesel.

Take a paint brush and smear it all over a live tree that is green then set it on fire.

Post results
It would have been way more believable if they attacked the Tree with 1 or 2 horde Airships that blizzard has been oh so obsessed with showing off in every expansion.

but no... a massive tree that is big enough to support an entire city, land, and multiple villages on top of it is taken down by a handful of catapults because they had "MoRaLy GrEy super ammo"
You should go look up napalm in the dictionary. Or possibly a history book.
AZERITE NAPALM!
Same way a stray firework in the middle of a dry summer can burn down a mansion and the surrounding houses, forests, etc.
you should look up Butane BIC lighters in the dictionary, or possibly a history book.

Seriously have you ever seen the way a lighter can burn a singular leaf?
Simple: magic fireballs with neutron star cores.
Agree that the catapults reaching Teldrasil is a bit far fetched, but if you play the world quests (no blame if you didn't, because they're generic af), you learn that the Horde has Azerite infused powder kegs on the ships and the zeppelins circling the shore.

We know this stuff is potent but aren't fully aware of the extent of its power just yet. Looking back at Wrath, if you remember how powerful pyrite was, specifically during the Flame Leviathan fight in Ulduar, one can assume that bombs fueled by Azerite must be exponentially more powerful/flammable.

You do have to suspend a fair amount of disbelief here, but knowing it's not your run of the mill powder keg being hurled here and that the zeppelins were also kitted out with this stuff, you can at least start to piece together how they could conceivably take down the tree.
I will you Horde credit, those are some insane catapults you have there! I mean if you fly form Darkshore to the base of the tree, it takes like a minute and you get fatigued because you have to fly over deep water. But you didn't just hit the base of the tree, you actually were hitting half way up it!

The story writing was just so badly thought out. I mean it would take forever for a tree the size of that to burn. We are talking about a tree so big it can house a capital city and several towns...
It was an inside job. I did it on my Alliance toon and do you know what I found inside Darnassus? Burning treants and ancients running around! Of course the tree burned down when you have a bunch of burning treants and ancients running around inside it! It is a miracle it didn't burn down sooner.
Do you realize how many millions of shots from catapults it would take to apply that much napalm to a tree the size of the one in question?
The biggest problem I have is the fact the damn tree by lore is basically !@#$ing protected by a Wisp force field. Not only that but the tree has survived Deathwing without a scratch.

Is the force field down? Is that where the wall of wisps came from? What the %^-* are the Draenei doing over there? They don't have their space tech anymore but they could have helped!!

Geez, it's almost like they're outright trying to piss me off. Lied about the gray, lied about the twist, gave me no choices in this crappy matter, watching both Horde and Ally leaders act like idiots, and now the tree that's has always been protected suddenly can catch fire without any explanation or at least an off hand comment in the quests? WHAT?!

This is probably one of the worse pre-patches ever, and I've been through alot. It's gross and irritating that I have to go through this lazy writing just to get to the good writing on the islands...
08/01/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Stabbycat
You should go look up napalm in the dictionary. Or possibly a history book.

Great. Now fling a quarter teaspoon of flaming Vaseline at a giant redwood five minutes after a rainstorm from a block away. That's your scale.