Oce store

General Discussion
First how is blizzard that stupid if folks in enough quantities keep paying their prices and the profits keep flowing like a river? Seems like good business to me.

Boosts. You folks do realize part of why boosts are expensive is by design. They are using pricing to control the purchasing...theres a real economics term for this and yes using cost to control product accessibility is a real thing. I just forgot the term atm

Essentially they make it available for those that REALLY want the boost but the price is supposed to make most players stop and think first...

If boosts were dirt cheap...$5 lets say...then 90% of everyone would never level at all...the game would never see characters below 110 anymore (based on current boost).
07/28/2018 02:00 AMPosted by Carhagen
07/28/2018 01:41 AMPosted by Nobully

How?

They're optional services.

Nobody "needs" them.

The problem really is that people are impulse buyers. They see something they want and they just buy it, and that comes with risks. I know I've gone and done this myself. I've seen a game that I really want, so I've gone out and bought it, only to realize that that $80 I spent was needed elsewhere a bit later on.

Also, it's harmful toward Blizzard, because the higher you price items, the fewer people are going to buy them. While I can't speak for others, I will not buy any more boosts because they're just too expensive now. Same with race and faction transfers. My version of a 'faction transfer' now is to transfer all my stuff and gold to an alt from the faction I'm on, delete the character I want to 'transfer' then recreate it on the opposite faction and level it from scratch.

Yeah man I agree with you there and am doing the same. Its a grind but still not an $80 grind in my eyes
07/28/2018 03:51 AMPosted by Valethria
First how is blizzard that stupid if folks in enough quantities keep paying their prices and the profits keep flowing like a river? Seems like good business to me.

Boosts. You folks do realize part of why boosts are expensive is by design. They are using pricing to control the purchasing...theres a real economics term for this and yes using cost to control product accessibility is a real thing. I just forgot the term atm

Essentially they make it available for those that REALLY want the boost but the price is supposed to make most players stop and think first...

If boosts were dirt cheap...$5 lets say...then 90% of everyone would never level at all...the game would never see characters below 110 anymore (based on current boost).

Well not sure about you, But here in Aus most people want a fair service at a fair price. Anything else is seen as not right. I understand that business and economic practices are imperative to the general functioning of society. Doesn't make it suck less though. :D
07/28/2018 02:11 AMPosted by Whitecrow
AUD is just weaker than USD.

Price wise... quite frankly I don't want to see $5 level 110 character boosts.
Wouldn't do anything good for the state of the game.

I think $50 would be an acceptable price. and say $20 for a faction change, Something about them being as high as they are just really annoys me.

Like who in their right mind would pay more that a AAA game for a character boost. Yet here we are. Ah what a sad time for the gaming community.
07/28/2018 10:42 PMPosted by Nykarn
07/28/2018 03:51 AMPosted by Valethria

Well not sure about you, But here in Aus most people want a fair service at a fair price. Anything else is seen as not right. I understand that business and economic practices are imperative to the general functioning of society. Doesn't make it suck less though. :D

It's the same in the US. If something isn't worth the money most people won't buy it. 60 dollars is well worth it here. Maybe the same cost is too much for AUS but I doubt it or it would have been lowered.
80 bucks just makes it more clear how poor the value is compared to spending it on steam or gog.
The worst thing to me is the server transfer. I quit before legion, just restarted for a month to see how much is changed on my dead server. Still dead. I have 357 days /played on this server across 11 characters. I have been playing off and on (extremely on the first 3-4 years) since release, so I have tabards and event stuff that I don't want to leave. It would cost me $275 dollars to change these chars to a different server so I could actually have stuff sell on the AH, see more than 1 person in the world per day, see people talk in channels, and generally just enjoy my experience. If they would give loyalty perks such as a free transfer every 3-4 months of subscription I'd go for that and just slowly move them somewhere. But as it is I don't see myself buying this expansion either or playing past this first month of service. They keep making new servers when their old ones are too watered down as it is and there is no way I'm spending that much to transfer my characters.
im buying a game that comes with 6 months of weekly dlc releases, early access and pre order bonuses, and 2 free expansions next year.. and its only 60 dollars more than a wow character boost.. which requires buying the current version of wow + a 15 dollar per month sub fee on top

so... same amount of money for wow + 1 character to maximum level but the sub fee is not included. What a steal!
07/28/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Misskathryn
im buying a game that comes with 6 months of weekly dlc releases, early access and pre order bonuses, and 2 free expansions next year.. and its only 60 dollars more than a wow character boost.. which requires buying the current version of wow + a 15 dollar per month sub fee on top

so... same amount of money for wow + 1 character to maximum level but the sub fee is not included. What a steal!

Its designed to be a little costly. Better for the games health.
They've explicitly stated in the past that boosts are not priced to maximize revenue. They are deliberately inflated in price so as not to devalue the levelling experience. Part of the reason they cost 60 USD is actually to discourage people from buying them.

Edit: here's the interview

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-25-blizzard-explains-USD60-cost-of-world-of-warcraft-level-90-character-boost
07/28/2018 01:42 AMPosted by Nykarn
07/28/2018 01:35 AMPosted by Shadowregg
Your country's currency is just weak at the moment. Sorry 'bout it.

80 AUD = 59.19 USD

You're getting Boosts cheaper than us in the United States.

Yeah, Our government here in Aus is messing things up pretty bad.
Still just makes me think of people less fortunate that enjoy gaming. Some people over here wont be able to afford to enjoy games like the rest of us. Thus having less people to play with and a lesser experience overall. *Sigh* guess thats just how it is hey.

We get paid way more than they do in the USA so overall it's more than likely cheaper for us to buy character boosts

I paid for a boost with tip money and if I told someone in the USA what my hourly rate was they'd have a stroke
People are still saying they're so high because they don't want people to keep using it a lot? You can't be serious lol, the prices are ridiculous plain and simple, a race change in FFXIV is 10$ here it's 25$. It's plain greed seeing huge leveling xp nerf to drive up sales.