Quest Drop Bug - Update

General Discussion
08/02/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Kaivax
Yesterday, August 1, we made a hotfix to the game that resulted in an unexpected bug for a small number of players. Those affected lost some or all of the quests from their quest log when they moved into or out of an instance. We quickly discovered the issue and put a stop to it.

The timeframe during which it was possible for players to be affected by this issue was 12:34 p.m. PDT to 2:48 p.m. PDT for Asian realms, and 12:34 p.m. PDT to 4:18 p.m. PDT for Americas and European realms.

If you were in-game during that timeframe, and you lost quests from your quest log due to this bug, you should be able to go to the relevant quest givers and re-accept the quests.

It is possible that you lost quests that can't be re-accepted. These might include multi-week quests, or quests that are no longer available. While we expect that re-accepting most multi-week quests will also restore your progress, it may not. In those cases, we suggest you [url="https://battle.net/support/help/product/wow/197/472/ticket"]contact Blizzard Customer Support[/url] so that we can look into correcting your character’s quest log.

We apologize for the trouble, and we appreciate your patience as we work to bring affected players back to the adventures they expect to be on.
Thank you. :)

I lost some quests on one of my alts, but I was planning on abandoning them anyway, decided I didn't want to quest in that area with that alt, so no biggy for me. I rather image this is rather a biggy for some others though.
"Small" number of players.

This is called "damage control". It wasn't a small number, and it does not excuse the gross negligence in refusing to take the servers down till it was fixed, or even putting a warning on the launcher.
Every person you know who had it happen, plus every person you talked to who had it happen, plus every post you saw where it happened, all added together... in other words the only data you're privy to which you based that claim off of... is what? A fifty thousandth of the playerbase?
Notice that anyone who kept old Vanilla quests for nostalgia is now screwed.
08/02/2018 01:33 PMPosted by Levíathan
Every person you know who had it happen, plus every person you talked to who had it happen, plus every post you saw where it happened, all added together... in other words the only data you're privy to which you based that claim off of... is what? A fifty thousandth of the playerbase?

Stop trying to minimize like CS and the devs are doing, you aren't convincing anyone. And let's take the example you gave: If everyone I know, see, read, or hear about has everyone that they know, see, read, or hear about have the same thing happen to them, and then everyone THEY know, see......see where this is going? I know you guys like to think we are all stupid mindless windowlicking fanpeople, but stop trying to insult our intelligence and ability to put 2 and 2 together.
08/02/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Yummyumm

Stop trying to minimize like CS and the devs are doing, you aren't convincing anyone. And let's take the example you gave: If everyone I know, see, read, or hear about has everyone that they know, see, read, or hear about have the same thing happen to them, and then everyone THEY know, see......see where this is going? I know you guys like to think we are all stupid mindless windowlicking fanpeople, but stop trying to insult our intelligence and ability to put 2 and 2 together.

*sigh* There is no way for us, as players, to have any idea how many were impacted. Saying otherwise is just insincere.

We don't know the total number of WoW players.
We don't know exactly how long the bug was active for. It was at least 2 hours.
We don't know how many people logged in and zoned during the bug.

Without that info, there is no way to prove, or disprove, the statement.

Chances are that statistically, it really is a small percent of the overall playerbase who logged in during the bug on a Wed night.

Does that really matter though? What matters to me is that they are willing to manually dig through data and see if they can help get back long quest chains that don't update or unavailable quests. There are no existing tools to do that. They are going to have to handle each account manually and it will be time consuming.

They are doing exactly what they should be doing - fixing the mistake for the most frustrating quest cases that can't be easily picked up and completed.

08/02/2018 01:37 PMPosted by Kaiyeri

Maybe, maybe not. Anyone that was holding on to unavailable quests should put in a ticket to see if anything can be done.

The Blizzard post specifically says they will try to assist with quests that can no longer be obtained.
I was farming rep in Draenor when I heard about it, and so my character stayed there until it appeared to have blown over. It wouldn't have been a big deal for this character or some others of mine.

My feeling is that the number of people who were logged in at that time was relatively small, given the number of subscribers and how many alts they have and might be playing, as well as the time in the expansion. So it could well be that the number affected was small.

However, the fact also is that players who were impacted were probably disproportionately likely to be working on something important and have other important things going in their quest log. So even though it was a small number, they were quite legitimately outraged.
Posted by Levíathan

*sigh* There is no way for us, as players, to have any idea how many were impacted. Saying otherwise is just insincere.

Then you are saying that you yourself made an attempt at a thinly veiled insincere statement.

I get your point, we all do. The problem is, the people in charge of fixing this haven't been honest to us in many ways for quite some time now. Do I believe they are making every effort to fix this? NO way in heck! Do I believe now it is mostly all lip service? Yep! I don't believe blizzard, the devs, a certain person in charge, or the cs people anymore, and i certainly don't have blind faith in them that they are "doing everything they can" to help the customers affected by this, no matter how many it is. I am one of those PAYING customers.
I'm glad it's over, however I'm still paranoid that blizzard will still bork up questing again before or during bfa. With their "reassurance" about getting quests back, namingly quest items, I'm taking snip-its of the quests i don't want to lose progress on as well as the corresponding items on multi-week quests.

Currently I am collecting seething embers for the Dragonwrath questline and i'd rather not repeat 3 weeks worth of resets.
08/02/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Mirasol
08/02/2018 01:37 PMPosted by Kaiyeri

Maybe, maybe not. Anyone that was holding on to unavailable quests should put in a ticket to see if anything can be done.

The Blizzard post specifically says they will try to assist with quests that can no longer be obtained.
Actually, it doesn't say that.

It is possible that you lost quests that can't be re-accepted. These might include multi-week quests, or quests that are no longer available. While we expect that re-accepting most multi-week quests will also restore your progress, it may not. In those cases, we suggest you...

"In those cases" refers to multi-week quests. Unless someone just has their grammar incorrect. Because "in those cases" refers back to the last subject in the previous sentence. And I somehow doubt Blizz will have those quest IDs any longer. But I could be wrong.
Meh, bugs and glitches happen. It's a way of life. Move along folks.
08/02/2018 02:17 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
"In those cases" refers to multi-week quests. Unless someone just has their grammar incorrect. Because "in those cases" refers back to the last subject in the previous sentence. And I somehow doubt Blizz will have those quest IDs any longer. But I could be wrong.

According to the Customer Support Agent on the CS forum, people should indeed ticket for it. Edit - not sure why it messed up the quote, but it was a CS blue quoting a player then quoting the two parts of the announcement in order to indicate that yes, you should ticket for unavailable quests and they will try to fix it.

08/02/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Banknorris
I'm honestly kinda peeved about this, what about all the quests that're unobtainable anymore

08/02/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Kaivax
or quests that are no longer available.

[quote]In those cases, we suggest you contact Blizzard Customer Support so that we can look into correcting your character’s quest log.
They aren't going to restore quests that do not exist anymore. Honestly, I wish they'd purge all the old AV ones so we stop getting spammed by them.

So it is ok for a major company to just say

so sorry, our bad, tough,suck it up and deal with it?

That is customer service?
lost all the quests in my log on this character. problem is i don't know what quests i lost other than 2 or 3. is there a way to find out what quests you had in your log?
Thanks for the update; keep up the great work everyone!

The forums are the vocal minority how many out there that do not frequent the forums has this same issue?
08/02/2018 02:49 PMPosted by Newadus

So it is ok for a major company to just say

so sorry, our bad, tough,suck it up and deal with it?

That is customer service?

That is not what they said. They said:

-For most quests go pick it up again and complete it. For long quests, if you have items in your bag for it, the quest will update when you pick it up again.
-For quests that take multiple weeks and DON'T update when you pick it up, put in a ticket.
-For quests that can no longer be acquired, put in a ticket.

08/02/2018 02:51 PMPosted by Lilballohate
lost all the quests in my log on this character. problem is i don't know what quests i lost other than 2 or 3. is there a way to find out what quests you had in your log?

Not that I know of :( I can't think of any addons or websites that track that sort of thing. When you abandon a quest (even if it is a bug that causes the quest abandonment) the data is removed.

There ARE quest services on Wowhead and IcyVeins that let you check to see what quests you have left to do per zone. That might help jog your memory.
If as some say it was only a "few" impacted people, then if they were logged in during that time just complete every quest they were eligible for if they can't determine which ones they were actually doing in their quest log.

If it was hundreds of thousands then that in itself speaks to the fact that a lot of paying customers got the short end of the straw and the same fix should apply.

It is end of xpac, and some of those long chain quests don't have enough time to complete.

Example would be collecting 13 skulls for the aff lock hidden apperance. I did it and know it took me several weeks to collect them from mobs that had a less than 100% drop rate. Nothing was as dishartening as to kill 5 or 6 WQ mobs and not even one skull drop.

To have something like that wiped just when your are almost done, that is likely to be hugly upsetting to someone who bothered to work on it in the first place.

/smh