Game's Okay Exposing Kids to Genocide...

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
I just love this quest in Silverpine Forest. The first quest you do there before you begin to slay mobs. And I quote:
Garrosh Hellscream: "What difference is there between you and the Lich King now?"
Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: "Isn't it obvious, Warchief? I serve the Horde."
Garrosh Hellscream: "Watch your clever mouth, !@#$%."
Genocide, in the sense that a bunch of fictional characters are dying.
It ain't real.

Lots of stuff dies in this game.
Players kill a lot of stuff in this game.
It ain't real.

Your words however, are real and when directed at players may require real action. Putting aside whether or not banning curse words is silly or not.If one player were to threaten another player with harm that has to be taken seriously.
Players words indisputably carry more weight than the deaths of fictional characters. Because fictional characters are not real.
08/05/2018 05:01 AMPosted by Verla
08/05/2018 04:02 AMPosted by Shadina
Genocide requires intent. People don't seem to understand this. Sylvanas didn't commit genocide. You could call it mass murder. But it's not genocide. Genocide requires the intent to wipe out an entire people off the planet. That's impossible with the burning of just one city.

Further, this is World of Warcraft, and Blizzard has been going down a darker route for a little bit now. There's nothing wrong with violence within the World of Warcraft universe. It's been the staple of it. We, as people of Azeroth, will kill one another till there's nothing left. And we know we will. We'll band together in the face of adversity from a cosmic power or something, but then we'll go right back to taking one another out.

I am not sure I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with violence of this type in a game. Supposedly, people were threatening blizzard writers with death threats because of this - some people are/were being strongly affected by this.

So it's not okay to show violence in a fictional video game, but it's okay if people threaten the creators in their personal lives, going so far as death threats, to real people? That's not okay. Stories, videogames, television and even people who RP all understand the difference between a fictional work and someone's actual life.

World of Warcraft is a game all about war. Violence, fighting one another, fighting together, ideals and even hints of politics. And warcraft has always had dark stories to tell. If you've read any of the books, that's more than obvious. This time, a tragic event was shown in game, and depicted well. To threaten developers and creators says a hell of a lot more about the people and their unhinged emotions and inability to differentiate fiction from fact than it does about the creators of a long loved video game.

The people who threaten the developers are the biggest idiots out there.
Further, this is World of Warcraft, and Blizzard has been going down a darker route for a little bit now. There's nothing wrong with violence within the World of Warcraft universe. It's been the staple of it. We, as people of Azeroth, will kill one another till there's nothing left. And we know we will. We'll band together in the face of adversity from a cosmic power or something, but then we'll go right back to taking one another out.
Exactly. I guess the OP just joined the game. He kind of missed the part about 90% of the High Elves getting killed during the Third War, the Northrend Campaign against the Lich King, Deathwing killing millions in the Cataclysm, the Iron Horde invasion, Xavius causing Ysera to die, Tirion's death, etc.
Genocide requires intent. People don't seem to understand this. Sylvanas didn't commit genocide. You could call it mass murder. But it's not genocide. Genocide requires the intent to wipe out an entire people off the planet. That's impossible with the burning of just one city.

The Armenian Genocide would like a word with you.
Bro.

WoW ESRB rating is Teen

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Crude Humor, Mild Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, Violence

If you let and your child play this game without supervising them, that'd be your own fault...

As far as i can tell Teen ain't no kids no more.
08/05/2018 05:14 AMPosted by Shadina
08/05/2018 05:01 AMPosted by Verla

I am not sure I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with violence of this type in a game. Supposedly, people were threatening blizzard writers with death threats because of this - some people are/were being strongly affected by this.

So it's not okay to show violence in a fictional video game, but it's okay if people threaten the creators in their personal lives, going so far as death threats, to real people? That's not okay. Stories, videogames, television and even people who RP all understand the difference between a fictional work and someone's actual life.

World of Warcraft is a game all about war. Violence, fighting one another, fighting together, ideals and even hints of politics. And warcraft has always had dark stories to tell. If you've read any of the books, that's more than obvious. This time, a tragic event was shown in game, and depicted well. To threaten developers and creators says a hell of a lot more about the people and their unhinged emotions and inability to differentiate fiction from fact than it does about the creators of a long loved video game.

The people who threaten the developers are the biggest idiots out there.

What twist of logic are you making if you think I was claiming it was okay for people to threaten the writers ? No that isn't okay, but it is also false to say this type of violence in the game doesn't affect people.
08/05/2018 03:39 AMPosted by Maizou
...But what if they get exposed to a curse word? :O Can't have that, no no no!

Sometimes I question the terms of use. Like, I've never gotten in trouble for saying a curse word cause I pick and choose when to say it (before anyone says I got silenced/etc. cause I didn't), but this rule just feels archaic now that we've literally had a genocide we had to play a part in.

Sunday Thread Brought to you in part by the random forum poster I saw talking about curse words.

It is a great topic. I agree.
You’re aware this is a game right?? And you kill anything and everything that gets in your way. Humans, animals.. it literally doesn’t matter what it is. So to compare this to real life is stupid
08/05/2018 05:22 AMPosted by Milkshakemoo
Bro.

WoW ESRB rating is Teen

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Crude Humor, Mild Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, Violence

If you let and your child play this game without supervising them, that'd be your own fault...

As far as i can tell Teen ain't no kids no more.

this is the difference in ESRB ratings

TEEN
Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language.

MATURE
Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

ADULTS ONLY
Content suitable only for adults ages 18 and up. May include prolonged scenes of intense violence, graphic sexual content and/or gambling with real currency

What is the difference between violence and intense violence and prolonged scenes of intense violence ?

Personally I think blizzard went outside their rating on this one.
"Won't somebody think of the children?!"

If you, as a parent, don't want your kids exposed to the (very mild for a modern game) violence in WoW, then you, as their parent, have the right and power to tell them they can't play it.

Personally, I was always fine with violence. Watched Robocop as a kid. All of those beautiful squibs.
Did you do the quest Gnomebileration -- many consider it their favorite quest.

Did YOU enjoy partaking in GENOCIDE.

You've been killing hundreds of humanoids every year.

Why the sudden concern?
Curse words are the language of teenagers, and those of low social status. You can convey low social status without using curse words, so why bother putting it in? It also doesn't fit within the setting. "By Greymane's beard" seems more fitting then, "Aw HELL NAW".
So in the title of this game you chose to play is the word War... Google what that word means and the images that goes with it.

This is not world of bunny craft. Or world it's not snowflake craft..

It's WARcraft
08/05/2018 06:12 AMPosted by Mung

Why the sudden concern?

He needs attention. Maturity of a child.
08/05/2018 04:57 AMPosted by Atheinia
Just turn on the language filter. It’s there for a reason...
And that reason isn't to give people a free pass to break the chat rules.
The US has been backwards for a long time the crap they show children the second they see a normal human body part everyone goes bat**** crazy.
08/05/2018 05:22 AMPosted by Mallady

The Armenian Genocide would like a word with you.
The Armenian Genocide was the Ottoman Empire's (modern day Turkey) intention to eradicate the Armenians from existence. The War of the Thorns was Sylvanas' intention to capture or destroy (admittedly decided in the moment) Darnasuss/Teldrassil from the Night Elves. The two are not comparable at all.

The fact that you would even attempt to compare a real life tragedy to an ingame war to try to fit your narrative (which doesn't even do that for you) is just pathetic and despicable. I'd say you should be ashamed of yourself, but someone with absolutely no moral compass as yourself won't feel as such at all.
Novel concept.....let parents parent. They are the ones who should determine what is appropriate or not. That not Blizz's problem.