Request for Additional Forum Censorship

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 19 Next
If they are going to add new words to a censored list i want "cringe" added.
Anyone against banning the suggested word is clearly okay with racist words as well. It's the exact same thing.
08/07/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Annaillusion
Anyone against banning the suggested word is clearly okay with racist words as well. It's the exact same thing.

If you're for banning 'retard', then you must be for banning 'idiot'

So by your logic, calling someone an idiot is 'exactly the same' as a hate crime?
08/07/2018 12:32 PMPosted by Cannibal
08/07/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Timewarp
Why would i report you. I may not like like what you do or say but i will defend you to the death for your right to say or do it.
Okay. This is a non-issue then.

So is your issue. That's what makes America the best place on earth to live. Freedom and freedom of speech. Our military dies every day to defend those rights.
08/07/2018 12:34 PMPosted by Snowfox
08/07/2018 12:33 PMPosted by Kalthecgos
No. Once started, when does it stop?

It doesn't.

If you give these people an inch, they'll demand a mile.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/162/Slippery_Slope

The rules seem to apply only to us, not to them. Apparently they think that "censorship" just isn't polite and keeps them from saying whatever pops into their heads.
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will ruin your entire life!

That's how the saying goes right?

But seriously... in a game where killing other people for fun is a thing maybe work on getting a thicker skin?
08/07/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Snowfox

So by your logic, calling someone an idiot is 'exactly the same' as a hate crime?

How is talking ill about people with diminished mental capacity, or using the lable as a way to belittle or demean. Any different then using words to bash gays, black, mexicans, or anyone other group that has been abused by society?

Except it isn't.

But I'll bite. I've been called plenty of racial slurs, or seen them used. Hell, I'll even say I've said some pretty offensive things myself, not to anyone else, but in my own home, like when I'm pissed off at a video game or something, or I came home after being stuck in traffic for 2 hours and nearly killed like 3 times.

I'm getting the sense that the people that want words banned seem to think they're holier than thou and have never said ANYTHING that would be deemed offensive in their life. Hell, I would bet that a lot of the people asking for bans have said offensive words in maybe the past month or two....but here we are, fighting the good fight against a word because you decided that that's THE word to take up arms about.
08/07/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Cannibal
The word needs to be censored.

No it does not. The way it is used needs to be monitored, reported if it's offensive. The word in itself is Not offensive, profane nor abusive. It's all in the context of the way it's said.

If you're offended, then take personal action. Do not try to cram this "book burning" mentality on the rest of us.
08/07/2018 12:39 PMPosted by Annaillusion
08/07/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Snowfox

How is talking ill about people with diminished mental capacity, or using the lable as a way to belittle or demean. Any different then using words to bash gays, black, mexicans, or anyone other group that has been abused by society?

How is it different from calling someone stupid, dumb, or any other insult about someone's intelligence?

If you want to ban 'retard' for being exactly like a hate crime, then okay.. but you have to ban all those other words like 'idiot' too.
08/07/2018 12:37 PMPosted by Timewarp
So is your issue. That's what makes America the best place on earth to live. Freedom and freedom of speech. Our military dies every day to defend those rights.
And yet those publicly supporting ISIL are arrested and tried, and those sending death threats to the president are tossed in prison.

It's almost as though we don't live in a country with free speech after all, and saying or supporting certain things can induce punishments.

It's also almost as though this is a privately-ran website on the internet, outside the jurisdictions of federal law, and therefore anything Blizzard says goes. Which means the service of military personnel doesn't apply here.

I'm not petitioning to have those using the r-word fined or thrown in prison. I'm asking this word be censored on a tiny, private website that a fraction of the US population even knows exists.
re·tard

verb

delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.
08/07/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Snowfox
08/07/2018 12:39 PMPosted by Annaillusion

How is it different from calling someone stupid, dumb, or any other insult about someone's intelligence?

If you want to ban 'retard' for being exactly like a hate crime, then okay.. but you have to ban all those other words like 'idiot' too.

Then I suppose we should just ban the words. Gay, black, mexican, indian, or any other word that describes a race or sexual preference. This is your argument.
I would never call a mentally handicapped person retarded. But it's retarded to think i'm not going to use the word. I would also never use the derogatory words that apply to other people about them as a people. But I also don't feel that just because a word has come (in recent times mind you) to mean something derogatory about a group of people that it should be censored. Racial slurs are different, they were basically made up for the purpose of being derogatory toward a group of people.

I am of the opinion that no words should be censored just because someone finds them offensive. It will lead to a very bad place. Soon any word could be claimed as offensive, because, as you said, language evolves, so we can constantly change a words meaning to mean something different to insult someone. This would eventually lead to offensive gestures being censored, which also evolve because as a form of body language they are also always changing.

Political correctness is a disease in this day and age that needs to be stopped. Sure you should be a good human being, but you should not be forced to.

However, everyone claiming free speech on the forums is wrong.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You are not entitled to free speech anywhere and everywhere just because you misread what the constitution says. A business is not congress and they are free to enforce whatever censorship they deem necessary. It is fairly annoying to keep seeing people say places who censor what they can say are infringing on their right to free speech. Please do yourself some good and actually learn what you are talking about before you make yourself sound like an idiot.
ive moved on to brainlet anyways, its 2018 after all we needed something new
OP: Sounds a lot like 'curing' a disease by attacking the symptoms.

Do you work for the language police equivalent of the pharmaceutical industry? Do they pay you dividends?

Seriously, the sooner humanity gets over this pansey-arsed avoidance phase and sprouts the courage to address the source of problems the better for everyone, and everything in this world.

Instead of trying to build the great firewall of china around people's words, how about realizing that some people are internet tough guy arseholes and it has nothing to do with what letters they mash together out of their barely sentient brain matter?
08/07/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Annaillusion
I agree.

Retarded
Autistic

and many other words misused in order to be a insult should be banned.

I grew up using retarded as derogitory word for just about anybody, but kids using autistic as a derogitory term really irks me because I'm a little bit autistic myself.