Request for Additional Forum Censorship

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 19 Next
08/07/2018 12:51 PMPosted by Zandrae
If people were excellent to each other then censorship wouldn't need to be a thing. But they're not. It's about basic human empathy and common decency.

We're not going to find empathy and common decency on GD.
08/07/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Annaillusion
Autistic

Uhhh, no? Retard is currently a defunct word and is no longer actively used to refer to people with mental disabilities.

Autistic is still used to refer to people who have Autism (like myself). And I honestly rarely see it used as an insult anymore. I do sometimes but it's not nearly as bad of an issue as the aforementioned word.

However "Retard" is also used sometimes in other context. Such as "Fire retardant". But I doubt that usage would find high popularity on the wow forums and I do see it used a lot against people.
08/07/2018 12:52 PMPosted by Nesune
08/07/2018 12:51 PMPosted by Zandrae
If people were excellent to each other then censorship wouldn't need to be a thing. But they're not. It's about basic human empathy and common decency.

We're not going to find empathy and common decency on GD.
I know. But still.
08/07/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Lemires
It wouldn't be "censorship." It *would* be a welcome change though.

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient" as determined by a government or private institution.

I believe you will find it is censorship. I am starting to believe people don't actually understand the meaning of words they use on these forums.

However, as a private institution, blizzard is under no obligation to be free from censorship. They do it all the time when they delete/lock threads. Whether you believe it or not that is a form of censorship.
Looks like SOMEONE is all about big government taking rights away for the greater good. Get over it and move along. Nobody cares that your feeling are hurt.
Hey, you know how the grand majority of people playing wow are mature adults, with jobs and families and are fully grown and capable?

They're scared of words. Censor them! MY FEELINGS
08/07/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Cannibal
08/07/2018 12:01 PMPosted by Lathander
Retard is a multi meaning word. Banning it because on form of it is offensive is silly.
The only non-derogatory definition for retard is to delay or hold back in terms of progress, development or accomplishment. Words available for substitute include delay, slow down, decelerate, postpone, set back, hold up, detain, hinder, hamper, obstruct, inhibit, impede, restrain, restrict, trammel, among others.

Language evolves with culture. Words can change meaning as generations and time progresses. Retard has taken on a new meaning, one in which it's rarely used in its original sense, and more often than not used in a derogatory manner.

The word needs to be censored.
Please don't try to retard the English language.
People can make any word sound derogatory if placed in the right context.
Why even allow the possibility of people offending others? I think all forms of communication, on these forums and in-game, should get removed. It's 2018, everyone gets offended by everything. We MUST protect every SINGLE citizen of Azeroth from the possibility of someone saying something that might slightly hurt their feelings.

I also suggest that every "INN" has SafeSpace in which the offended person can visit. It will come with complimentary tissues, a pillow to scream in, the latest issue of "ANTIFA NOW", and a fluffy Panda to pat your back and tell you everything's alright.
I agree with the OP. We can still communicate and express our frustrations without using slurs.
Sticks and stones OP, sticks and stones. People have gotten so soft. The pendulum will swing the other way eventually. The amount of control and censorship is getting a little out of hand. Stop trying to control other people and worry about yourself.
Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in people saying "no don't censor us because you are offended, we have our freedom of speech".. and also saying "now shut up and stop posting this stuff"
No.

People have gotten so damn touchy, about everything. Everything hurts your feelings or offends you.

Words only effect you if you let them, grow some thicker skin and realize that it doesn't matter what someone says, and it only hurts you if you let it.