SO you stole the story from the Movie Avatar?

General Discussion
When I watched Avatar I cringed at the amount of things that reminded me of WoW.

The Na'vi are visually very similar to the Night Elves, those Aleluia mountains are copy pasted from Nagrand, even the creatures are six legged, like many wow beasts.

At the time I wondered if Cameron hadn't really played WoW before coming up with his ideas for the movie...

Anyway, there's very little you can do today while telling a story that doesn't remind of another story that someone else already told.
Being happy is the opposite of being...

Sad
Wow writers tend to borrow/steal aspects from others because they have a hard time coming up with orginal stuff. Even the old gods from the lovecraft stories.
I can think of about 15 fantasy/Sci-Fi stories that involve the burning of a sacred tree.....

!@#$
I mean...SAD...
Let's face it, any giant tree in fiction is going to be burnt or chopped down. Assuming it's not actually a metaphorical tree
SAVAGES! SAVAGES!
Dirty Stinking Humans!
Stories can be similar to other stories without being stolen.
08/03/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Mony
08/03/2018 07:41 PMPosted by Teria

And Avatar was basically just Pocahontas with blue cat people.
What's your point?

did they burn a big tree in Pocahontas?

So you didnt watch Pocahontas?
The Lich King story was stolen from the Game of Thrones books. He's literally the Night King with his army of Undead in the 'North.'
08/03/2018 07:38 PMPosted by Ghoulbreath
SO you stole your forum topic from another post?

This forum post does nothing but aggravate and annoy players, and provides no constructive criticisms nor arguments…

Sad

I like your name and how you melt with such... a burn.
Omg, this is soooo sad
08/03/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Cattibrie
08/03/2018 07:39 PMPosted by Rheonx

No tree was ever burned before James Cameron made Avatar. CONFIRMED.

Ferngully called. They want their Plot back!

glad i'm not the only one who remembers that movie
08/03/2018 07:36 PMPosted by Volkul
The burning of home tree in Avatar and the BOA story plot have way to many similarities..

Sad

LOL, do you know how common it is for the home of elves to be destroyed by X bad guy?

or for that matter the home of ANY race to be destroyed to further a plot with seemingly no other reason?
08/03/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Draile
Funny.

I recall a Blizzcon opening where Metzen made a pointed joke about how Avatar ripped off the Night Elves.

and yet we now have a blue/purple elf with tentacle hair...
08/03/2018 07:36 PMPosted by Volkul
The burning of home tree in Avatar and the BOA story plot have way to many similarities..

Sad

You are kidding right? Perhaps 50 years ago if the game (and pcs...and internet) existed and you made that comment it would carry meaning.

But really you are trying to call out blizzard on lack of originality in 2018?

Hollywood constantly and i do mean CONSTANTLY recycles ideas...its rare to see a truly original film anymore that is released by a major studio to a mainstream release.

Thats only movies....look at all the sitcoms and cop shows on TV...are you saying you don't note the commonality in all of them?

Then theres bands and singers. I hear a LOT of very similar songs today. Heck just in remakes alone i think "seriously you can write your own song".

So yeah not a really good argument to make when theres a lot of un-originality everywhere today.
08/03/2018 07:46 PMPosted by Samophlange
So you cooked up a story and dropped the six of us in a meat grinder...What happened to you, Dillon? You used to be someone I could trust.
Predator. =P
Just like with the current starwars , disney recycles everything.
Teldrassil came before Avatar.

So... umm.. yeah?

lol...that movie. I loved it as a kid.

I actually felt that Avatar was more of a rip off of Disney's Atlantis. The plots follow each other almost beat for beat.