What's up with hunters MM spec?

General Discussion
08/05/2018 03:24 PMPosted by Evillyn
I have played MM since I leveled this toon in Cata. Let me tell you. Current version is the biggest hunk of garbage ever.

I hate it. It's boring, it doesn't feel like it flows at all, in fact to know what my rotation is exactly, I don't even know. The focus just feels super clunky with my current abilities. I hate it.

It amazes me that they let it go like this too.
MM is very slow now but was fun in pvp with the right talents since with good gear and correct talents you can do around 25k damage with one double tap aimed shot follow by a buffed arcane shot.

This is being nerfed very soon however and blizzard was right to do so.

The problem is that blizzard did not strengthen them anywhere else. Now instead of being a boring spec with one fun gimmick they are now just a slow boring class.

Honestly my ret paladin is faster paced than my MM hunter and that says a lot.
08/05/2018 03:06 PMPosted by Teksu
meanwhile they one shot me with one aimed shot crit

I saw a Marks hunter doing that, on the Darkshore quests. It was kind of impressive. He was one shotting the mobs that I'd have to kill the regular way.

However, I have more fun sending LightingPaw(spirit beast) and AME (Robot Gorilla second pet, with new skin!) into battle, even if the fight takes a couple seconds longer.

I'm just too "old school", having started this Hunter in vanilla. The "pet" has always been the fun Hunter thing, for me.
It's just too bad because I always enjoyed the hunter class but I just can't do this. BM isn't interesting to me and I play hunter for ranged so survival is a no go.
I’m really loving the changes, or reversion I suppose. I didn’t particularly care for marked shots or vulnerable so I am quite glad they were removed.

I’m hoping the “In the rythym” Azerite trait will make the spec feel a bit quicker for PVE, but I don’t see any reason why haste can’t be a decent stat for MM, and getting a bit of it will probably be enough to improve the feel.

That said, I’d really like the proc rate of lock and load to be increased. As it is, we devote quite a bit of time to channeling and casting, and LnL seems way too infrequent to be rewarding. Perhaps even just smoothing out the proc frequency would be enough. The specs strong point is that it is methodical and I’d rather see that reinforced by my talent choices rather than attempt to infuse randomness but I mean, insta cast AS, no way I’m passing that up, right?

Overall I’m very happy with MM right now, i really like the addition of rapid fire and double tap. The power reduction of trueshot is offset by adding AS interplay and isn’t really felt in a consistent spec with high uptime anyway.
MM looks to be the weakest spec at the moment, and most agree its also the least fun, so its no surprise there are not going to be many people playing them.

I have been playing hunter on beta a lot, and BM is the strongest all round i think.

Edit - talking purely PVE. I realise MM can be strong in pvp
At the moment I am kinda neutral with MM hunter.

I like it when Careful Aim Aimed Shots crit as it is basically a one shot on most mobs. If they do not crit then Master Marksman means that I can then follow up with free Arcane Shots that actually hit for a decent amount.

I really do not mind the whole vulnerability mechanic being gone. Now I just wish that they would add to MM hunter to make it less... boring? Right now it is a very simple spec lacking the flair others have.
08/05/2018 03:13 PMPosted by Tattalia

If you talent them, only. Which makes you lose whatever else on that talent row that's available.

Yes, that is the definition of a choice. Very good.
08/05/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Krs
I’m really loving the changes, or reversion I suppose.

No you don't. Fake news.
08/05/2018 04:12 PMPosted by Falstie
08/05/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Krs
I’m really loving the changes, or reversion I suppose.

No you don't. Fake news.

So we can't like the old playstyle? I myself love it.

I don't get why everyone's hating on it now when a huge majority was complaining how much they hated the vulnerability mechanic and wished it would go away.

Edit: Actually, going through your posts, OP. You talk about how you liked old hunter, well why not current MM? It's nearly identical aside from missing two skills. It would help if you be precise about what you don't like.
08/05/2018 04:16 PMPosted by Kolbain
08/05/2018 04:12 PMPosted by Falstie

No you don't. Fake news.

I don't get why everyone's hating on it now when a huge majority was complaining how much they hated the vulnerability mechanic and wished it would go away.

Edit: Actually, going through your posts, OP. You talk about how you liked old hunter, well why not current MM? It's nearly identical aside from missing two skills. It would help if you be precise about what you don't like.

It's too slow with too much power up. I don't remember it ever feeling like this.
08/05/2018 04:16 PMPosted by Kolbain
<span class="truncated">...</span>

No you don't. Fake news.

but it's not the old playstyle, if anything it's the pre-legion MM rotation in reverse but missing Chim...

It feels weird, silly, and slow.
08/05/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Falstie
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It's too slow with too much power up. I don't remember it ever feeling like this.

My main qualm is with steady shot. Yes, you can cast while moving... but it's pretty difficult to aim while moving. It keeps getting cancelled because my opponents keep running in circles around me. I'm hardly ever able to even get a shot off.

My main qualm is with steady shot. Yes, you can cast while moving... but it's pretty difficult to aim while moving. It keeps getting cancelled because my opponents keep running in circles around me. I'm hardly ever able to even get a shot off.

Yes it just takes way too long.
08/05/2018 04:42 PMPosted by Falstie

Steady Shot is how all the hunter specs generated focus pre-Legion.

As far as pacing goes, i do agree with you that it could be made faster. I think the biggest issue a lot of people are saying is how Chimera Shot is missing, and how Rapid Fire is our burst ability.

Hopefully some of the concerns do get adressed with 8.1

Honestly, I would be fine if they completely did away with steady shot and made arcane shot the focus generator again.
I'm still having fun with my MM Hunter, but I agree that it's not as much fun as I had in Legion. It's more boring and simple. I don't really have to think about what I'm doing. Once in a while I do, but that's pretty rare. lol

I much preferred it when my main shot generated focus instead of this current state when it has a long cast time and generates a little focus. Steady Shot takes too long to cast to get focus sufficient to do something. Others have killed whatever I was attempting before I can even get a shot off, so I can get focus for my next shot. And it takes 2 or 3 Steady Shots to get enough focus to kill something with.

It feels crazy to play this way. It's kind of Pow Pow, ping, ping, ping, Pow, ping, ping, Pow, Pow, ping, ping, ping... Right... This is not efficient. Oh and don't forget the multi-shot that goes pew, pew, pfft. lol

Even with the talent option that increases the speed of steady shot.
I don't feel that MM adds anything to the table that other ranged classes don't already bring.