Did Blizz get a sale on Deus ex machina?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
I was thinking the same thing. Alliance pulls Ubermensch card and everything just fall into place.

Vindacaar, lightforged, void, Checkov's Boat, super powered mage Jaina. How much more biased can it get?
08/07/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Tempestwinds
08/07/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Normercy
Every work of scifi/fantasy (even critically acclaimed) is full of illogical plot points and "saves". Every story could be pulled apart in 30 seconds.

You have just lost the ability to have fun.

Lol there's no correlation between my sense of fun and bad writing. Had the Alliance secured Jaina's aid before the battle it would have made sense. But her just popping in out of nowhere on her magic pirate ship and single-handedly pulling the Alliance's bacon out of the fire was silly. But once I could have dealt with, 3 times in one scenario... no. That's not fun, that's stupid.

Stop pouting.
I don't understand Deus Ex Machina, it seems as though any time someone does anything people chant it.
08/07/2018 11:19 AMPosted by Zness
I was thinking the same thing. Alliance pulls Ubermensch card and everything just fall into place.

Vindacaar, lightforged, void, Checkov's Boat, super powered mage Jaina. How much more biased can it get?

"But, but, but, we don't get a 6 minute video!"

"All of Legion doesn't count."
It doesn’t matter what Blizzard do, you'll find some angle to criticize and discredit everything.

Not long ago a king died, and there was no magical salvation.

But it doesn’t matter. I don’t know why people keeps playing if they hate this game so much.
I read that when you're writing a story you want to keep away from coincidences that are beneficial because they seem contrived. Not that I'm keen on the Alliance seeming any more inept, but this was ridiculous. Maybe they thought it would add dramatic effect?
08/07/2018 11:24 AMPosted by Shaezi
I don't understand Deus Ex Machina, it seems as though any time someone does anything people chant it.

Its like when the protagonists get saved without their own merits. At the last moment something unexpected comes and save them.

People likes to call it deus ex machina because is fun to write it and makes them look smart. Back in Greece or somewhere, they had theater and someone hanging from a crane that represent some god that comes flying down and save them. The crane was the machine, therefore god from the machine.

And I agree that people will complain no matter what.

In Greek theater, they would often resolve unsolveable plot lines by having an actor as Zeus or another god descend onto the stage via rope and pulley cloud to directly interfere and solve the problem for the characters.

It's come to mean any sort of divine intervention or random occurance that shows up in the nick of time to solve things WAY too neatly.

My favorite example of this would be the movie Dodgeball where, if you look closely, you can see the words "DEUS EX MACHINA" written on the treasure chest.

Is like when the protagonists get saved without their own merits. At the last moment something unexpected comes and save them.

Which goes to show how weak Anduin is. Sylvanas was able to hurt the Ally army with her own tricks. She barely even needed the other Horde races. Meanwhile, Boy Wonder had to get help from everyone else. He's quite pathetic. Maybe he'll get better with age, but for now he's not worthy of holding Varian's sword (or his weapon).
that moment you complain about Alliance dues ex machina when the Alliance as a whole is almost literally just a tool to give your faction dues ex machinas
08/07/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Normercy

Stop pouting.

Lol because you disagree I'm pouting? The story was flawed period. Just because you don't like my critique doesn't mean it's pouting.
It's a weak plot device that seen all to often in the game. People got tired of the Thrall character doing it so they had to finally write him out. So now we have the Jaina character doing it now. It seems like a poor plot choice and raises the question why we bother playing at all if we have immensely powerful characters who can do this kind of thing why don't they do it more often. Clearly they have no problem writing it in but it still doesn't make much sense.
08/07/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Toriel
that moment you complain about Alliance dues ex machina when the Alliance as a whole is almost literally just a tool to give your faction dues ex machinas

That makes absolutely no sense.
08/07/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Iniky

Its like when the protagonists get saved without their own merits. At the last moment something unexpected comes and save them.

People likes to call it deus ex machina because is fun to write it and makes them look smart. Back in Greece or somewhere, they had theater and someone hanging from a crane that represent some god that comes flying down and save them. The crane was the machine, therefore god from the machine.

And I agree that people will complain no matter what.

But they never got saved out of no where. The plague wasn't going to kill anyone at the start, Jaina allowed the assault to continue. Then in the throne room they went in well knowing they have a mage who can keep them safe.
08/07/2018 11:12 AMPosted by Tempestwinds
08/07/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Severitas
Jaina freezes all the Horde and Alliance in the first Battle for the Undercity and teleports the Alliance Army out.

You: makes sense.

An older, more powerful Jaina teleports four people out of the throne room.

You: DEUS EX MACHINA.

Her showing up AT ALL is blatant deux ex machina, but especially at the point she did.

Oh and while I never commented on the first battle for Undercity, her actions were ridiculous there too.
No its not.
We had an entire short about Jaina going to raise her fathers ship out of the ocean. It was established.

It is literally NOT deus ex machina, because it was ESTABLISHED. In fact it'd be weird if she didn't show up with the ship.

Please learn what terms mean before spouting them, makes you look bad.
08/07/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Hemosylvana

Is like when the protagonists get saved without their own merits. At the last moment something unexpected comes and save them.

Which goes to show how weak Anduin is. Sylvanas was able to hurt the Ally army with her own tricks. She barely even needed the other Horde races. Meanwhile, Boy Wonder had to get help from everyone else. He's quite pathetic. Maybe he'll get better with age, but for now he's not worthy of holding Varian's sword (or his weapon).

I mean, if you really don't think Sylvanas hasn't been saved by 50 Ex Machina's in the past... I have some news for you.
Said on wowhead:

Deux ex Mach-Jaina
08/07/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Hemosylvana

Thats why he has all of the help around him all of the time.. he ISNT that powerful yet. Meanwhile Sylvanas basically doesnt need any of the other horde leaders. They are basically useless to her and she has shown she considers any of them expendable. I agree with her assessment.
08/07/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Docke
08/07/2018 11:12 AMPosted by Tempestwinds

Her showing up AT ALL is blatant deux ex machina, but especially at the point she did.

Oh and while I never commented on the first battle for Undercity, her actions were ridiculous there too.
No its not.
We had an entire short about Jaina going to raise her fathers ship out of the ocean. It was established.

It is literally NOT deus ex machina, because it was ESTABLISHED. In fact it'd be weird if she didn't show up with the ship.

Please learn what terms mean before spouting them, makes you look bad.

Everyone is a critic, and they dull their ability to have fun with this stuff anymore.

It's like everyone talking about how wondering the writing was for WCIII. Truth is we were young and simply had fun, but WCIII is full of ex machinas and cringe writing.
08/07/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Iniky
It doesn’t matter what Blizzard do, you'll find some angle to criticize and discredit everything.

Not long ago a king died, and there was no magical salvation.

But it doesn’t matter. I don’t know why people keeps playing if they hate this game so much.

It's really amazing to see you Alliance players so butthurt over someone not liking the plot in a scenario. In no way, shape or form did I say I hate this game or try to discredit everything the devs have done. The scenario was GOOD, the plot holes were BAD. Can't make it simpler than that.