How is anyone okay with the boat?

Story Forum
1 2 3 6 Next
So correct me if I'm wrong here anywhere but this is how I understand things to have gone down.

Jaina goes to Kul Tiras in the comic, finds out her people hate her, but vows to honor them and protect them and bring them into the alliance.

Jaina then goes back to the ruins of Theramore, has a retrospective moment, and decides it would be an incredibly good idea to raise her dead father's ship off the sea floor.

This all happens before the War of Thorns.

So while Sylvanas and the Horde wipe out Ashenvale, invade Darkshore, and eventually set fire to the Night Elves capital, Jaina is merrily sailing across the sea...? Presumably towards the Eastern Kingdom?

Fast forward to the siege of Undercity. Jaina sees the Alliance's fleet and decides to join in on the action, I guess? But instead of getting off the boat, she decides to ride a magic tidal wave large enough to support her dads boat onto the field of battle so she can... do a big ice spell from a high vantage point? And fire some arcane cannons once that only do enough damage to poke a hole in the wall of a bunch of ruins?

So I guess my question boils down to this:
1.) Was she already on her way to Undercity before the War of Thorn's even took place or did she just 'happen' to be in the neighborhood?
2.) How is any of that cooler than her just showing up on the battlefield and casting those spells while not on a boat?
3.) How is any of that necessary? I mean the alliance have ships that fly without having to waste a ton of magic right?

How exactly is this not seen as the most ridiculously stupid and unneeded thing in the history of WoW?
08/09/2018 07:45 PMPosted by Mustakraken
How exactly is this not seen as the most ridiculously stupid and unneeded thing in the history of WoW?

I mean, it's RoC. It's pretty cool, but from a meta perspective people have been ripping it apart.
Because I played Super Mario Bros. 3 and I think flying ships are cool?
I do not think she was on her way to the Undercity she most likely learn that the Alliance was going to attack the Undercity somehow and went to help.

While she does not need the boat she used it to blast a very big hole in the walls of Lordaeron that let the Alliance pour into the city.

From what i seen and look around during the Battle of Lordaeron the only one with a true Airship there is the Horde. The Alliance might not have Air Ships at the moment cause i do think they would take longer to build then the Horde Verison but that just a guess. Though i am kinda disappoint that the Horde Air ship did not attack from behide ALliance lines when the War Machine was hitting the Alliance front lines.
So correct me if I'm wrong here anywhere but this is how I understand things to have gone down.

Jaina goes to Kul Tiras in the comic, finds out her people hate her, but vows to honor them and protect them and bring them into the alliance.

Jaina then goes back to the ruins of Theramore, has a retrospective moment, and decides it would be an incredibly good idea to raise her dead father's ship off the sea floor.

So while Sylvanas and the Horde wipe out Ashenvale, invade Darkshore, and eventually set fire to the Night Elves capital, Jaina is merrily sailing across the sea...? Presumably towards the Eastern Kingdom?

Fast forward to the siege of Undercity. Jaina sees the Alliance's fleet and decides to join in on the action, I guess? But instead of getting off the boat, she decides to ride a magic tidal wave large enough to support her dads boat onto the field of battle so she can... do a big ice spell from a high vantage point? And fire some arcane cannons once that only do enough damage to poke a hole in the wall of a bunch of ruins?

1.) Was she already on her way to Undercity before the War of Thorn's even took place or did she just 'happen' to be in the neighborhood?
2.) How is any of that cooler than her just showing up on the battlefield and casting those spells while not on a boat?
3.) How is any of that necessary? I mean the alliance have ships that fly without having to waste a ton of magic right?

You really don't know mages very well. The word mage itself is short for "Over The Top".
No fun allowed.
I'm not. It's basically 1 human mage is better than the gnome and dwarf races as a whole.

Which is really, really dumb.
08/09/2018 07:50 PMPosted by Shadowxv
I do not think she was on her way to the Undercity she most likely learn that the Alliance was going to attack the Undercity somehow and went to help.

Okay...so how? When? And why didn;t she help with the War of Thorns instead? I mean she raised the ship on the same continent where the Night Elves lived but she was able to make it across the sea to help the alliance in Undercity but she couldn't sail her flying ship North East to safe the night elves? That magic water would have sure come in handy there.

While she does not need the boat she used it to blast a very big hole in the walls of Lordaeron that let the Alliance pour into the city.

Right, that's what I'm saying. The magic is all hers, the boat is completely unnecessary, so why even bring it on the battlefield?

From what i seen and look around during the Battle of Lordaeron the only one with a true Airship there is the Horde. The Alliance might not have Air Ships at the moment cause i do think they would take longer to build then the Horde Verison but that just a guess. Though i am kinda disappoint that the Horde Air ship did not attack from behide ALliance lines when the War Machine was hitting the Alliance front lines.

Did the alliance only have two airships? I know they lost one in Legion but I thought they still had the Skyfire. I thought the joke was it was Horde Airships that can't stay in the air?
08/09/2018 07:53 PMPosted by Jerrod
No fun allowed.

How is it fun? It's her dead father's ship! It should be full of tragic pathos and regret, and instead its a prop for Jaina's magic show.

I understand the meaning behind her sailing it back to Kul Tiras but I am completely lost on how flying it over Undercity was any kind of advantage for her.

You are not wrong but it is up against some very stiff competition

For me the worst moment in WoW lore will always be that stupid "There must always be a Lich King" because it was clearly a borderline plagiarism of Pirates of the Caribbean and makes absolutely no sense.

Jaina also isn't the only one from the Alliance in that battle who has no way of knowing there is a battle, how it is going, or where it is who shows up at exactly the right time with exactly the right stuff Alleria literally does exactly the same thing. I mean does Anduin have some kind of spirit bond with whoever has the ability to show up as a deus ex machina? I also actually like Alleria.

I don't think there is any kind of quality control for Blizzard writing, the writers just put out a first draft and it is in game next.
I haven't really dug into it... but I always thought that the airship Genn recklessly loses in his unsanctioned attack on Sylvanas during Legion cost the Alliance their last working airship.

Doesn't excuse having Jaina show up and deus ex machina the whole battle though.
you know what? i don't care, is the only part that i liked about all this pre-patch fiasco.

i mean yeah i would love more context and interactions before this but this is what we have.
a useless alliance and a super evil horde that is allowed to exist somehow.

so can i... have a little fun?
She is a mage it is possible that she got a message from someone by magic means learning of the attack. It also possible she was just in the area and saw the Alliance battle Fleet.

Dalaran is a floating city so one mage making a ship fly is not really that big of a deal that being side those cannons that appear to be bigger version of Arcane missiles were a pain and broke the last defense for Lordaeron. She might of did it for shock value.

As for the Alliance lack of Airships. It is hint at during the war with the Legion that Horde and Alliance lines were hit hard by the Legion and took heavy loses. Alliance Airships while better built then Horde ones design wise i would image take more resources to build then the horde ones.
08/09/2018 08:01 PMPosted by Etheldald
you know what? i don't care, is the only part that i liked about all this pre-patch fiasco.

i mean yeah i would love more context and interactions before this but this is what we have.
a useless alliance and a super evil horde that is allowed to exist somehow.

so can i... have a little fun?

No, you're not allowed to have fun. Stop doing that and get back to over analyzing blizzard cinematics as though the details in them have ever been important.
The Kirin Tor didn't give a fig about how much magic it would take to make their entire city float, and remain floating ever since WotLK.

A boat is nothing compared to that.
08/09/2018 08:46 PMPosted by Gibbons
The Kirin Tor didn't give a fig about how much magic it would take to make their entire city float, and remain floating ever since WotLK.

A boat is nothing compared to that.

It's not just that the boat is floating.

It's also the magic cannons which are apparently much better than dwarven siege engines and gnomish airships.

Jaina>dwarves and gnomes.
08/09/2018 08:52 PMPosted by Lena
It's not just that the boat is floating.

It's also the magic cannons which are apparently much better than dwarven siege engines and gnomish airships.

Jaina>dwarves and gnomes.

maybe the wall was already weak?
I don't care, it was cool.
Jaina + Lei Shen's power > dwarves and gnomes, absolutely.

I am rather annoyed that it wasn't actually lightning, though, but I imagine that as in real life, any type of energy can be converted into any other type.

I mean, stupid and unneeded is pretty much the calling card of the crazy mage.