So Which Is It?

General Discussion
You say you don't like the Allied Race system as it stands. The person next to you might say so too. But are you even on the same side? I see two separate arguments that keep popping up:

1. "This Reputation grind is too long/outdated/etc!"
Which would mean you want it faster than it is now. That might involve lowering to revered, maybe abolishing it completely. Whatever the specifics, you think it takes too long. But you'll get it with just a few extra weeks. Is that a big deal?

2. "I don't want to play another character in order to play the one I actually want to be!"
Which would mean you want them available on the character creation screen with no additional requirements. So they wouldn't be an "Allied Race". You just want them as a new race. This one seems to come up frequently with people who "just resubbed for BFA", etc.

Here's the problem: If people in camp #1 get their wish, everyone in camp #2 is still in the same situation. Because the Allied Race concept means it can never be your first character. You have to play a different one in order to recruit these new allies. And that will always hold true, current content or "outdated" content.

So which is it?
I didn't say either. But, I'll pick one.
08/22/2018 04:23 PMPosted by Azemane
You say you don't like the Allied Race system as it stands. The person next to you might say so too. But are you even on the same side? I see two separate arguments that keep popping up:

1. "This Reputation grind is too long/outdated/etc!"
Which would mean you want it faster than it is now. That might involve lowering to revered, maybe abolishing it completely. Whatever the specifics, you think it takes too long. But you'll get it with just a few extra weeks. Is that a big deal?

2. "I don't want to play another character in order to play the one I actually want to be!"
Which would mean you want them available on the character creation screen with no additional requirements. So they wouldn't be an "Allied Race". You just want them as a new race. This one seems to come up frequently with people who "just resubbed for BFA", etc.

Here's the problem: If people in camp #1 get their wish, everyone in camp #2 is still in the same situation. Because the Allied Race concept means it can never be your first character. You have to play a different one in order to recruit these new allies. And that will always hold true, current content or "outdated" content.

So which is it?

Number 2. The whole problem is the concept of an allied race being different than any other race. All previous races added became allies to the other races through the story, there doesn't really need to be any more to it than that because ignoring even that or anything else, it is a mechanic that shouldn't be behind a time or rep gate because not being able to select the race you want prevents someone from being able to progress on the character they want.

I could probably get behind just requiring players to finish the campaign and leveling as even as a new player you have a boost and those aspects really don't take too long, that would allow you to finish the story portion of these "allied races", but requiring at least a months worth of time locked rep quests is ridiculous.
I say they should be unlocked after a short questline. Dark Iron and Zandalari after you do all the War campaign. Get a small 6-8 quest line that sends you to Suramar/Highmountain etc for the others. Allied races should not have been a rep grind, imagine Pandaren coming out, then learning you had to be Exalted with a faction from Cataclysm to play them. Or DHs and having to go get exalted with a faction in Tanaan Jungle, it would be stupid right? So why do they do it now? A level req is completely fine, but a literal month long rep grind is not okay for something that was a major selling point for BFA.
I cannot see the point of spending a month building up a character, grinding the rep, dumping time and effort into getting gear, and investing in my HoA just so I can be rewarded by throwing it all in the toilet and starting all over again. Especially considering how horrid the leveling experience is right now. And with no intention of grinding to unlock an allied race, there goes one of the major features of BfA. What are the other fun things about an expansion?

New abilities - We don't have those. In fact we lost a ton.
    Getting more powerful - Except we don't.
    New features - Uh.. island expeditions? They aren't fun. And... hm...
    New dungeons and raids - Haven't seen the raids, but the dungeons are an un-fun trash fest.

There just isn't anything that makes this expansion an expansion. I would have much rather just kept playing Legion, at least I still had things to do in Legion. This expansion just feels completely hollow and empty.
08/22/2018 04:54 PMPosted by Huggablysoft
I cannot see the point of spending a month building up a character, grinding the rep, dumping time and effort into getting gear, and investing in my HoA just so I can be rewarded by throwing it all in the toilet and starting all over again. Especially considering how horrid the leveling experience is right now. And with no intention of grinding to unlock an allied race, there goes one of the major features of BfA. What are the other fun things about an expansion?

New abilities - We don't have those. In fact we lost a ton.
    Getting more powerful - Except we don't.
    New features - Uh.. island expeditions? They aren't fun. And... hm...
    New dungeons and raids - Haven't seen the raids, but the dungeons are an un-fun trash fest.

There just isn't anything that makes this expansion an expansion. I would have much rather just kept playing Legion, at least I still had things to do in Legion. This expansion just feels completely hollow and empty.
But if you got it unlocked for finishing all the zone stories, would you still feel the same?

After all, you just did all those quests and 10 levels just to throw it all away.
Why in the World would I be excited to grind rep so I can go re-grind rep-I-already-grinded on a character I actually wanted to grind said rep on in the first place?

Allied Races were handled in a stupid manner. LITERALLY the only reason some people are defending it is because "I did it so that means you have to do that to. Blow me, got mine."