Brennadam was a last minute change

Story Forum
1 2 3 12 Next
So, an interview with Forbes just dropped.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2018/08/24/azshara-cinematic-storytelling-ignite-warcraft-expansion-sales-designer-interview/#316fa71d517a

Now most of it is the same !@#$ they've been giving us for awhile-"many perspectives, explore the factions, we totally want you to feel emotion blah blah blah blah" but this line in particular is...interesting.

You mentioned in Stormsong, the Horde coming in and assaulting a city, that was actually kind of a last minute plan. We had different plans for the content there that we actually implemented and we played through. We felt it wasn't quite what we wanted, and so we took that angle with that one.
Why is there even a story to this game? Like holy !@#$ blizzard what are you doing this is a joke.
To be fair, most of Stormsong is really boring to level through so I get why they wanted to add some more excitement to it.

But making last minute major story changes like that is bad.
This was a BIG deal I dunno how they thought this questchain was a fitting idea. They changed it slightly in beta but not nearly enough to matter.
Maybe they're referring to the shift we saw in beta? Remember, the orders used to be "MURDER EVERYONE SO THEY WILL SERVE ME IN DEATH MUAHAHAHA" before they were revised to something a bit less nefarious.

A bit.
08/25/2018 10:32 PMPosted by Gavik
Maybe they're referring to the shift we saw in beta? Remember, the orders used to be "MURDER EVERYONE SO THEY WILL SERVE ME IN DEATH MUAHAHAHA" before they were revised to something a bit less nefarious.

A bit.

This is what they were referring to, it is too much work including the cinematic to have been last minute.

They even nerfed the prominence of turning humans into fish and enjoying watching them suffocate.
08/25/2018 10:32 PMPosted by Gavik

A bit.
It's possible, but the wording doesn't really sound like that to me. They didn't change enough for them to have to "implement and play through" to decide against.

A discussion on the Discord pointed out narratively it being the Quilboar actually makes a lot more sense given how the zone's story is structured.
I'm honestly not surprised. Despite this being the faction conflict expansion and all the War of Thorns build-up there's pretty much none of it visible while leveling up in Kul Tiras. So much so I completely forgot the Horde were supposed to be the primary threat, so it was really jarring when they just came out of nowhere for two quest chains in Stormsong.

08/25/2018 10:34 PMPosted by Casina
This is what they were referring to, it is too much work including the cinematic to have been last minute.

The way it's worded makes me doubt this interpretation. It's worded as if the Horde attacking the village at all is what was changed. And the cinematic isn't really all that detailed, it's just an ingame shot of the Horde arriving. It's certainly something that could be made last minute.
I guess that explains why Rexxar acts like he has no idea what is going on. His dialogue was probably never changed to reflect the events Ally side.

I will continue to assume Rexxar showed up only after the Alliance quest chain ends and has to clean up the mess left by the previous commander. It's the only way it makes even a little sense for his character.
blizzard seems to be pretty confident that this will end with a satisfactory ending for both sides.

i can't really see how that happen if one side don't destroy the other, for now at least.
Plz kill me.
If you looked at early footage, Brennadam was overrun with thorns and Quilboar. The last minute change was Quilboar to Horde.
From what I recall of the beta, Brennandam used to have a lot more with civilians polymorphed into fish and left to suffocate on the land. It was actually more interesting before complaints forced the developers to remove it. They should have kept it the way it was.
08/25/2018 10:55 PMPosted by Hukom
From what I recall of the beta, Brennandam used to have a lot more with civilians polymorphed into fish and left to suffocate on the land. It was actually more interesting before complaints forced the developers to remove it. They should have kept it the way it was.

Surprising nobody, this comes from a Human Paladin.
08/25/2018 10:56 PMPosted by Tewdee

From what I understand (still haven't run through KT yet) the only real changes was slightly softening Sylvanas' letter and turning fish guy into a rare.

The bulk of the brutality remains unchanged.
i think that they mean with "last minute change" making it about the horde and not quillboars.

just to not forget why we are the good guys justified in burning everyone else alive.
they are in the wrong not us!
08/25/2018 10:56 PMPosted by Tewdee

Should I change my current character? Or will you be immedietly dismissive of that one too without an actual argument?
Had to throw the Horde and especially Rexxar under the bus to better match the Lawful Good Overdrive. The Alliance and certain players in the Alliance must feel righteous at all time and Blizz is intent on delivering that fantasy for them, everyone else be damned.
08/25/2018 11:05 PMPosted by Hukom
Should I change my current character? Or will you be immedietly dismissive of that one too without an actual argument?

Yes.
this makes me think they are even more likely to pull a "old god corruption dun did it" with brennadam, so they can remove its importance.