The WQ Exploit: Facts

General Discussion
1 2 3 24 Next
It seems that the frenzy of this WQ exploit is propagating a ton of misinformation, like 3 day bans going out and whatnot.

Here's a real rundown:

A WQ exploit was discovered (since hotfixed) that allowed one to get the rewards for completing a WQ, yet flag it has having not been completed, creating a cycle where one could gain the rewards over and over again, be it raw gold, gear, resources or most commonly, reputation.

As far as I can tell, no official action has been taken yet against anyone, and that is likely due to the scale of damage done.

This exploit undermined gearing (repeating gear quests for titanforges), economy (Raw gold, materials/expulsom from scrapping gear), and reputation gates (jumping to exalted on every rep in a day versus the intended few weeks). It's a massive amount of damage. Thousands of gold and reputation, tons of ilvls, resources, etc.

Action will be taken. Unlike the cooking spices exploit that simply allowed people to powerlevel cooking, or the early Legion AP exploit that saw people get their AP reset that were fairly contained in scale, this exploit was effectively an item and gold dupe with far reaching impact.

It's my personal opinion that anyone who abused this should be given a permenant ban, as it's clear this exploit circumvented and undermined multiple game systems for unfair benefit.

Please stop spreading rumors that this was only a reputation exploit and that people are only getting 3 day temp bans for it. It's false information and the issue is much more serious than that.

EDIT: As this thread lit up after Ythisens replied, I've continued to see misinformation. This exploit was a series of very intentional steps to prevent a WQ from registering as complete. It's almost impossible to do on accident or through normal play.

Finishing a particular WQ a second time in a day, that has popped up again for you normally, does not constitute exploiting.
3 day ban is fine as long as they reroll the rep, roll back the items and race rewards, and whatever they made from the recipes they got.

but if they only get the 3 day ban and get to keep all that? lmfao
When people were selling over 500 Greens in chat I knew there had to be some sort of farm as the source.

As a result I started lowering my buy bids for greens to about 80 to 100. Down from 200 to 250 on KT
08/27/2018 05:32 PMPosted by Dzdz
roll back the items and race rewards, and whatever they made from the recipes they got.

How do you do that if it was a piece of crafting gear that was made because of this exploit sold on the AH? This isn't as simple of a fix as you may think.
3 day ban is fine as long as they reroll the rep, roll back the items and race rewards, and whatever they made from the recipes they got.

but if they only get the 3 day ban and get to keep all that? lmfao

In terms of exploitable offenses, this ranks pretty high up there. Player misconduct or minor bug abuse is 24 hours to 3 days. Something like item, gold and reputation dupes is some of the most damaging stuff you can have happen in an MMO.
08/27/2018 05:25 PMPosted by Valquois
It's my personal opinion that anyone who abused this should be given a permenant ban, as it's clear this exploit circumvented and undermined multiple game systems for unfair benefit.

There's a reason for why Blizzard doesn't give perma bans often. It's because the person is more likely to come back and cheat since they have nothing to lose at that point.
08/27/2018 05:35 PMPosted by Thaylorn
roll back the items and race rewards, and whatever they made from the recipes they got.

How do you do that if it was a piece of crafting gear that was made because of this exploit sold on the AH? This isn't as simple of a fix as you may think.

I think it would be easy roll back offenders reputation gains. Im assuming gold people made from scraping and AH would be impossible without rolling back the entire server (Which I assume they wouldve done already)
08/27/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Lyianora

There's a reason for why Blizzard doesn't give perma bans often. It's because the person is more likely to come back and cheat since they have nothing to lose at that point.

Cool. Then give them a real ban again. Eventually they will either stop buying new accounts or they will stop cheating.
They knowingly did it. They had intent and they knew they could get banned.

Permanently close the account. If the three day thing is final there is no point in playing World of Warcraft anymore since cheaters can get ahead.
Some sort of official response like "Were looking into this" would help
If you exploit a bug for extreme personal gain, this is cheating. You've demonstrated that you as an individual do not care to play fair and correctly.

You are a disgusting person and should be permanently banned from the game. I'd go as far as banning the PC's core identifier it was most played from.

I have no respect or pity on those who have no honor.
08/27/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Lyianora

Overwatch says hi.
08/27/2018 05:40 PMPosted by Belferina

They arent going to say anything until they put the hammer down.
08/27/2018 05:40 PMPosted by Belferina

They're 100% looking into it, but building a tool to catch potentially tens of thousands of cheaters likely takes time.

On paper it sounds easy to say, hey this guy was obviously and intentionally exploiting because of X, Y and Z.

In execution, it's a lot more involved to make sure what criteria they use to identify exploiters doesn't catch legitimate players.
Every novice exploiter right now: "It'll be fine. Blizzard doesn't punish people for this stuff lol. Exploit early, exploit often!!! xD"

A website full of experienced exploiters: "This will for sure get you banned. We definitely do not recommend this on your main account."

1 month from now:

Novice Exploiters: "WTF BLIZZARD! This isn't fair!"
or
Novice Exploiters: "Lol, I only got a 3 day ban. I kept everything"

I'd make popcorn and see how this plays out, but by the time Blizzard does anything, it'll probably be bad by then.
I bet they are looking into it and collecting the data since they fixed it now and when they have the info they need then the hammer comes down.
Outrage needs to happen, in fact this thread is no different than any of the other threads on this subject rumors or not. Let the threads flood the board till we get a response. So by all means OP proceed to indulge us all on the "facts" of the matter.
2 week ban + all reps reset would be a good start.
08/27/2018 05:44 PMPosted by Legionkiller
I bet they are looking into it and collecting the data since they fixed it now and when they have the info they need then the hammer comes down.

Lets hope.
We are indeed aware of this exploit and have been working on a fix. We are also taking action against those who are abusing it.