Hammer of wrath

Paladin
It's great to have an execute and usable ability during wings. The damage seems pretty low, would it pay off to stack crit or mastery since the spell is holy damage, I've seen it crit for 8k on bosses and hit for 4k in a pvp situation. Anyone feel it needs a buff or know if stacking the above or one of the two will make it beastly?
Needs a decent buff to be viable imo.
It's simming higher than the rest of the talents on the row....
08/30/2018 04:46 AMPosted by Nuanced

The best talent on the row changes with your stats
Hammer of wrath isn't an execution like it used to be, it's just a crappy builder unlocked when the target ia low on health.

Devs made it intentionally unappealing to fill a talent spot while not intruding on the execute monopoly they gave back to warrs and a couple other lucky specs.
08/30/2018 05:51 AMPosted by Razgrad
Hammer of wrath isn't an execution like it used to be, it's just a crappy builder unlocked when the target ia low on health.

Devs made it intentionally unappealing to fill a talent spot while not intruding on the execute monopoly they gave back to warrs and a couple other lucky specs.

I agree. I haven't made it to 120 on this toon yet but both Fires of Justice and Blade of Wrath make my rotation feel much smoother. The "execute" damage is just too low right now.
Yep, Hammer of Wrath is disappointing as an execute. Should do the damage of templar's verdict at the minimum.
08/30/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Zeltheran
Yep, Hammer of Wrath is disappointing as an execute. Should do the damage of templar's verdict at the minimum.

Agreed, that would make it feel like a real boy again.
08/30/2018 05:07 AMPosted by Victatis
08/30/2018 04:46 AMPosted by Nuanced

The best talent on the row changes with your stats

I can see why it would sim higher. I was trying to put it in a pvp frame where if someone sees wings, they can expect some major damage to the face. I am aware that most competent arena players will either cc or force the ret into a defensive posture to hinder their damage during their burst window. If the damage stays as is. I would like to see it baseline.

08/30/2018 05:51 AMPosted by Razgrad

We are fortunate that we can use our execute during a dps CD but I do agree that it seemed to be a rushed decision. I'm gonna hope that it wasnt intentional by the devs to be unappealing.

08/30/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Zeltheran

I feel that would take the class a little over the top. Granted with this "slow juggernaut" concept, another hard hitting move to our burst window would be great. Ret mobility has already been discussed so no need to beat a dead horse on that. I feel like when we do connect on a player, it should feel like Mike Tyson is beating on you, minus the ear biting...lol.

TLDR: slightly tune hammer of wrath
HoW talent doesn't feel enticing, because I feel like I give up a talent for a tiny usability window. It'd be nice to be baseline.
Admittedly, I was underwhelmed initially as well. The animation and sound is meh, and the damage isn't significant. I used Blade of Wrath most of prepatch and first week of BFA. As my gear has improved Hammer started to sim higher, so I gave it a chance. It has really grown on me in the last 2 weeks.

I love having another ranged ability for PVP, so helpful. It can definitely help win fights. As far as DPS goes sim yourself, but Hammer should be better for most of us. I would like to see a cosmetic update, but overall it's the best talent in the row (and yes, I was adamant about BoW being the best at the start). Give it a shot for a few days and you may change your mind like I did.
Do you spam it when wings is up or how does that work?
You can use it when you pop wings or when target is below like 25% or 20% I forgot and it has like a 6-7 second cooldown. It also generates a holy power. I've simmed my talents with every new piece of gear I have gotten and it has always shown hammer of wrath doing way less DPS for me. I like the idea but it's not viable man.
08/30/2018 10:18 PMPosted by Hillman
You can use it when you pop wings or when target is below like 25% or 20% I forgot and it has like a 6-7 second cooldown. It also generates a holy power. I've simmed my talents with every new piece of gear I have gotten and it has always shown hammer of wrath doing way less DPS for me. I like the idea but it's not viable man.

All my sims have shown it to do the most DPS with my gear.

Not to mention it's nice to have another button to press and a ranged one at that.

True the skill itself doesn't do a ton of damage, but it's quite a bit more than crusader strike and the fact that you can use it at range means you're continuing to dps in some situations where you wouldn't be otherwise.
I haven't tried it, and I'm not much of a PvE guy...so just curious. Maybe you guys just use it instead of CS when wings is up?