comparison of wow

Classic Discussion
I feel like classic wow, since its a fragment of the wow of now, when its released its like a capped game, so i would compare it too a pokemon game on GBA such as pokemon silver/crystal/blue/red there games that you can leave and come back to whenever you want and are efforted by what you do with your time. I think thats amazing because you can do all your things in RL and know that the same games always gonna be there.

WHO AGREES????
I disagree.

As much as I dislike Retail, it is no different actually. The difference now, is that players are obsessed with "efficiency", "min/maxing" and finishing the content as fast as possible, and envying people who were better than you or invested more time.

This mindset gave posts like "I have a job and a family to take care of, while this guy is unemployed and has more time to play, how is this fair?" and so catch up mechanics were invented.

But truthfully, retail is the same as Vanilla on this point. You should enjoy the game itself and not care what others think of your character's progression.
Yeah, no, that’s not why catch up mechanics were invented.
I feel like retail is a capped version of classic, on lowest difficulty setting. They basically are telling the masses "you are too stupid to set up your own class so we are going to do it for you".
08/30/2018 04:36 AMPosted by Skylìne
I feel like retail is a capped version of classic, on lowest difficulty setting. They basically are telling the masses "you are too stupid to set up your own class so we are going to do it for you".

Retail is much more difficult than Vanilla WoW. There's a significantly higher skill cap in PvP and PvE just has infinitely more mechanics to deal with. Vanilla bosses equate to "Stand in one spot and DPS while the healer spams rank 4 Healing touch on the tank and occasionally the one DPS that gets hit with a Shadow bolt."
08/30/2018 05:51 AMPosted by Galdor
08/30/2018 04:36 AMPosted by Skylìne

Retail is much more difficult than Vanilla WoW. There's a significantly higher skill cap in PvP and PvE just has infinitely more mechanics to deal with. Vanilla bosses equate to "Stand in one spot and DPS while the healer spams rank 4 Healing touch on the tank and occasionally the one DPS that gets hit with a Shadow bolt."

I don't think you were a raider in vanilla.
08/30/2018 05:55 AMPosted by Korithias

I sure was buddy.
08/30/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Galdor
08/30/2018 05:55 AMPosted by Korithias

I sure was buddy.

Doubt it from the way you described it.
08/30/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Korithias
08/30/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Galdor

I sure was buddy.

Doubt it from the way you described it.

I don't know if there's videos of me raiding in Vanilla but I've found some on youtube of when I was raiding Sunwell in BC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXpreqB1wwA

There's Brutallus, was DPSing as Arms because Main tanking was starting to give me RSI in my pinky from tab targeting on trash (didn't have a Pally tank for the longest time.) You can also see Landsoul in there, has an item named after him in ICC; Landsoul's Horned Greathelm. Kinda cool.
I think only hardcore no lifers are going to run out of things to do.

vanilla takes 4-6 played days to get to max. And this is leveling fast.

200+ hours to get raid ready with progressions

Now think about alts with this.

Classic has a lot of content and a lot of time to do it. People who will rush classic will get burnt out unless they are the 1%
slow and steady pace players tend to do better in the life span of vanilla and beat out the no lifers in the end burn out in wow is the real killer :P
08/30/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Sickn
I think the world record is some 4 days plus a little /played.

Hardcore levelers will probably be within the first 2 weeks. And from there you will have the average Joe knowing what they are doing but not in a hurry be within a month to month and a half. Bottom of the barrel, like those who wants to level 4-5 alt's from rested XP simultaneously or don't have a lot of time on their hands could easily face 6 months+.
08/30/2018 07:10 AMPosted by Swani
08/30/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Sickn
I think the world record is some 4 days plus a little /played.

Hardcore levelers will probably be within the first 2 weeks. And from there you will have the average Joe knowing what they are doing but not in a hurry be within a month to month and a half. Bottom of the barrel, like those who wants to level 4-5 alt's from rested XP simultaneously or don't have a lot of time on their hands could easily face 6 months+.

I would guess the average player would take 3 months to get to 60. I've always heard 8-10 days of /played if you take your time, do dungeons and work on professions.

9 days = 216 hours
Say you play 15-20 hrs a week

Equals approximately 12 weeks or 3 months.
08/30/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Ashtro
08/30/2018 07:10 AMPosted by Swani
...I think the world record is some 4 days plus a little /played.

I would guess the average player would take 3 months to get to 60. I've always heard 8-10 days of /played if you take your time, do dungeons and work on professions.

9 days = 216 hours
Say you play 15-20 hrs a week

Equals approximately 12 weeks or 3 months.

Aye, but this time around, people will have a lot of knowledge on their hands. If not from addons, then from external websites. I merely made estimates as I saw it. I could be wrong though :)
I think retail and classic offer different leveling experiences for different reasons.

The distance between new lvl 1 character and a geared lvl 120 character is now double what it was in classic so having mechanics that makes the process go a little faster is nice--especially since there is a great deal to do after hitting level cap and for many people, that is where the game really starts. Leveling is about reaching a destination, not the journey.

On the flip side, I do miss the feeling of being able to take my time, explore, level professions as I go, etc that comes with classic. There really was no need to rush the leveling experience because the leveling experience was the main part of the game. I recognize that at the time I played Vanilla, the game was new and that the sense of freshness disappeared with each alt I leveled but there was still a sense that leveling had a purpose other than reaching level cap. It was about the journey, not the destination.

Classic will offer people the opportunity to enjoy the journey again while retail will continue to offer those that prefer the destination the opportunity to enjoy the destination.
Raiding is harder in retail than vanilla.

I'm not saying normals is harder, but 10 man mythic is comparable to naxx.

25 mythic is harder.

Anything not mythic is easier than what vanilla was. Ut at mythic it is harder.
08/30/2018 11:24 AMPosted by Redheadchild

25 mythic is harder.

I don't think I would even try to compare two so fundamental different game approaches. Many factors involved in this.
08/30/2018 11:24 AMPosted by Redheadchild

25 mythic is harder.

Thousands of guilds complete the last Mythic raids in any given expansion. A couple dozen finished Naxx.

Admittedly, somewhat of an unfair comparison. But when you factor in the peripherals in Vanilla that surround even getting to that content, it's much harder and far fewer people are able to undertake the task. Just speaking of boss mechanics is one thing, but in regards to the entire experience even earlier Vanilla raids are more exclusive than Mythic raids.
Unlike BFA I won’t be leveling in classic WoW very quickly at all. I want to take my time and not rush to the endgame stage.
08/30/2018 05:51 AMPosted by Galdor
Retail is much more difficult than Vanilla WoW. There's a significantly higher skill cap in PvP

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH,, dude.. no..

Before I even start my long as hell rant on why Modern WoW's PVP requires 1/5th the skill of 5.0 and before (Vanilla included), I will make a very bold statement that I actually enjoy BFA and I enjoy its PVP, its a fun game, but does it require the skill needed in Mists of Panda or earlier? NO WAY!

PVP is about all I do now days; everything WoW PVP since patch 6.0 is drastically reduced in complexity. The last good PVP expansion was 5.0 series, and frankly the most "technical" of all WoW's PVP was BC & Wrath, they were both very technical and complex with insane skill caps for different reasons due to the mechanical properties present.

This is assuming you do not have legendaries in combat in either expansion.

The most balance "expansions" PVP wise has been argued in circles numerous times and every one seem to settle on the end of 4.0 / mid to end of 5.0 (series of game play)

I happen to agree with the 5.0 sentiment because Legendary weapons in PVP was not a problem in the 5.0 series where it was an issue in the 4.0 series, in addition to some "game changing" trinkets in the 4.0 series that really puts the real point of balance squarely in the 5.0 series of game play.

As for 6.0 and newer; still lots of fun if you don't take it seriously, but the "rotations" have become so "PVE" that you just PVE your target to death, and due to the extremely stream lined nature of modern WoW's classes they have introduced everything from Battle fatigue to dampening to make up for the fact that there are little to no risk vs reward mechanics, little to no resource management, and little to no need to mind your positioning because you can practically fly across the map since about 5.0.

The reason that 4.0 / 5.0 were VASTLY superior to later version of modern wow AKA 6,7, and now 8; because there was still tons of counter play mechanics involved in those two versions where as 6,7, and 8 are really dumbed down.

IMO 2.0 / 3.0 required the most skill by miles; especially in 3's because burst was setup dependent and could happen at any time. Limited mobility and resource management put burden on your DPS to do other things than simply CC and peel the healer, but buy windows of opportunity to get your healer a drink (yup drinking in Arena), and additionally the same for caster DPS. On top of that both 2.0 and 3.0 had drain comps, and this was part of the mechanisms of play that gave us WAY more team types allowing for far more dynamic play than what we have now; being either Burst comps or Rot comps.. It's literally that dumb now, and the number of players doing arena / rated BG's are drastically reduced because of it.

Arena has always been joked as being decided before the doors open, but it was never actually true till 6.0, and now day in 8.0 if I really want it I can get Glad playing combat because 90 sec blind is all you need. (I still call outlaw combat)

Any way, maybe I will break out thunder fury, and some arena in 8.0 once patch 8.1 / 8.2 fixes most of the "issues"

And all of that; just barely scratching the surface, because if I was to go into real detail I'd be here all freaking day.