BLIZZ Actually took AP from everyone

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
Sure, the old system's numbers went completely out of control and into the billions and trillions, but at least they didn't steal our AP. I'd rather have the Legion system than this one.
08/28/2018 08:55 AMPosted by Economissed
All the people arguing you have the same % are correct and horribly wrong at the same time.

Yes you have the same %. Congrats you understood how percentages work in 5th grade math. You have also failed at applying that knowledge to the real world if you can't see we lost AP while maintaining the same %.

Some of you really need to learn the lesson because you're going to be taken advantage of at work, by banks, by insurance companies, basically anyone who can apply math to the real world and wants your money.

As a middling IRS bureaucrat, please, please, go get some common sense and learn what you are missing. I'm genuinely scared for some of you.

Pretty much this. If the goalposts are moved to be easier to reach for new players, you shouldn't move existing players back to make their distance from the goalpost the same as it was, they should be rewarded for putting in the work. Right now it feels like a lot of that work was wasted, especially if you turned in your emissary quests last night.
Yes you have the same %. Congrats you understood how percentages work in 5th grade math. You have also failed at applying that knowledge to the real world if you can't see we lost AP while maintaining the same %.

But AP itself is meaningless. So who cares. The only thing that matters is your AP level and progress towards the next level.
If total amount of AP required to get to level 20 was 100k. If the AP they reduced for levels was effectively 30%. Then it's about 70k to get to 20. But that person STILL spent time farming 100k. But they just lost 30k and are still at level 20. They might be "effectively at the same place" but they did have AP taken away to do this. That means that the time spent grinding that AP was a waste.
All the people arguing you have the same % are correct and horribly wrong at the same time.

Some of you really need to learn the lesson because you're going to be taken advantage of at work, by banks, by insurance companies, basically anyone who can apply math to the real world and wants your money.

As a middling IRS bureaucrat, please, please, go get some common sense and learn what you are missing. I'm genuinely scared for some of you.

this isnt the real world. and you are using apples to compare oranges. Money in no way can be related to this issue at all.

the HoA System works as a percentage, yes it shows us the number, but the bigger issue is the % to the next level. he ended at 57% to the next level of HoA. he logged in at 57% to the next level of HoA. if he has a weakaura counting azerite that is player choice and inconsequential. but the system Blizzard has in place is working exactly as it should. Also, OP is 3k closer to his next level than he was yesterday, so he is actually in a better possition today than he was yesterday.
08/28/2018 09:02 AMPosted by Egeria

But AP itself is meaningless. So who cares. The only thing that matters is your AP level and progress towards the next level.

This. it's an arbitrary number who's only purpose is to get you to the next level. The rewards are the same it just requires less now.
08/28/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Elechan
If total amount of AP required to get to level 20 was 100k. If the AP they reduced for levels was effectively 30%. Then it's about 70k to get to 20. But that person STILL spent time farming 100k. But they just lost 30k and are still at level 20. They might be "effectively at the same place" but they did have AP taken away to do this. That means that the time spent grinding that AP was a waste.

Yep. They really messed up with this one. Now we're hesitant WHEN to hand in rewards in case a whole 1/2 weeks worth is just wasted.
08/28/2018 09:02 AMPosted by Kaeravek
Sure, the old system's numbers went completely out of control and into the billions and trillions, but at least they didn't steal our AP. I'd rather have the Legion system than this one.

It's the same. AK has always devalued existing AP, in exactly the same way as now. It was just hidden in positive numbers, and at first glance it may not be intuitive what the relationship between the numbers is. If last expansion's system didn't bother you, this one probably shouldn't either. Or if this one does, last expansion's should have as well.

But I don't blame players for this. I blame Blizzard. This is a horrible presentation for this system if they want the benefits of the system to be clear. It's their job to understand player psychology and good presentation. It's something they've had to deal with before. And they clearly haven't learned.
post on your main or shut up
08/28/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Revenantcode
This actually *feels* bad... we are now punished weekly for gathering AP the prior week... we will literally lose 30% of AP for the current level every week with this implementation, making doing quests with AP rewards but waiting to complete them until reset the preferred method and WQ rewards only feasible for rep and to cap a level on the neck... leaving a level unfinished means you'll lose progress with reset.

Why was this done Blizzard? I literally did a chain for the war campaign last night to completion only to immediately lose 30% of my 800 AP reward today.

It was done this way to keep AP in BfA from hitting the absurd numbers it did in Legion.
There was even a blue post on this.
08/28/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Erthan
08/28/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Emeraldlash
You didnt actually lose any progress though. Like others have said if you kept the total azerite you have in a few weeks you'd be leveling for doing nothing. If you took a break you wouldn't need a catch up because you would have been getting levels while offline. Why does everyone have to act like the sky is falling for every single thing that happens? Statistically you're at the same spot you were before just with a different number combination. If you stop collecting azerite to "save progress" all you're doing is gimping yourself.

What do you mean doing nothing? They earned that AP. If you were saving money for a car and saved 10 thousand dollars and the cost of the car got reduced by 30% should your bank account suddenly be $3000 lower?

That's way too much logic for the kind of people that defend these decisions.
I don't see the outrage. I am still at level 11, right where I was when I logged off yesterday.
08/28/2018 09:15 AMPosted by Zuju
08/28/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Erthan

What do you mean doing nothing? They earned that AP. If you were saving money for a car and saved 10 thousand dollars and the cost of the car got reduced by 30% should your bank account suddenly be $3000 lower?

comparing money to azerite :thinking: stop comparing apples and oranges. money is a system of numbers, HoA levels is a system of percentage.
But I don't blame players for this. I blame Blizzard. This is a horrible presentation for this system if they want the benefits of the system to be clear. It's their job to understand player psychology and good presentation.

It would help Blizzard if they could avoid things like this, but ultimately it's the players' fault if they don't understand that they aren't being negatively affected. If something "feels bad" people should try to understand what is making them feel bad. Is there something substantial behind those feelings that is actually impacting them, or are they just not looking into the issue and getting upset for no reason? It's their fault if they don't understand things.
If they allow us to keep all AP earn then one could go AFK for a month and be at max level. I know its jarring at first but Blizzard isn't removing any progress. They want to keep the numbers sane in this expansion.
08/28/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Lavalock
<span class="truncated">...</span>

comparing money to azerite :thinking: stop comparing apples and oranges. money is a system of numbers, HoA levels is a system of percentage.

That's so unbelievably wrong I don't even know how to respond. Any number can be expressed in terms of percentages and any percentage applies to a real number. Seriously 0/10
08/28/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Snaape
Guys, the number of azerite you have is meaingless. Every number is nothing more than a percentage of a whole. And if you were at 76% yesterday, and are still at 76% today, then things are working correctly. The only difference now is that you will have less azerite to grind to 100%.

What you may be missing is that yes, we have the same progression % towards the next level, but 30% of what we grinded is lost in numbers. That means that only 70% of what we farmed on the level we are now on counts. We basically lost 30% of the time invested. I understand that we can get level 30% faster now than last week, but we should not lose artifact power # as it feels as if we wasted 30% of our time invested.

They might care more about %, but since the # for the amount of AP gained remains the same, it is as if we did like 15 world quest for nothing.

A quick comparison with fictional numbers would look like this.
Two players have 20 level in their HoA.
They require a fictional number of 30,000 artifact power to reach the next level.
Player one did content to grind it up to 10,000 artifact power which equals 33% of the level progression.
Player two did nothing on that level and has 0 out of 30,000.
After the artifact knowledge applies, Player one is now at 7,000 out of 21,000.
It means that 10,000 artifact power has been farmed for an actual value of 7,000 now.
That 3,000 artifact power might have taken 2 hours of grind and is now gone.
Player one did not farm the 10,000 and is now at 0 out of 21,000.
Farming the same 10,000 will get him to 10,000 out of 21,000.

I understand that it means that reaching the same % after the artifact knowledge has been applied could take 2 hours less as well, but if the player already put the time in, why is he punished for it ?
08/28/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Hyperactive
Basically, now they are telling us holding off on handing in any AP rewards until the catch up happens. So, save 3x emissary rewards for Tuesdays etc...

Which is super annoying.

This was true in Legion.
You should be at the same progression point as last night. Yes they reduced the amount you earned while reducing the cap. This way if you were 75% down yesterday, you are still 75% down today but you will require less to earn that last 25%.
If the goalposts are moved to be easier to reach for new players, you shouldn't move existing players back to make their distance from the goalpost the same as it was

This isn't what is happening.,[quote="207661703799"]Sure, the old system's numbers went completely out of control and into the billions and trillions, but at least they didn't steal our AP. I'd rather have the Legion system than this one.

The two options are mathematically identical. You are making a purely semantic argument with no gameplay changes to anybody.