Cross-Faction RP in BFA

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
I've made some really great friends just from the prospect of Cross-RP alone.
I have reinvigorated my story for my character.
This is one thing that would completely satisfy the community.
I think even a fix such as extending community limitations could extremely help.
I still want to see this add-on destroyed and have the ideals be implemented into the base game, for all servers. Once warmode (or any kind of PvP) gets turned on, it should be toggled off.
Throwing in a cosign. This would make the Darkmoon Faire more fun.
The addon was genuinely amazing for ToA and made this year even better for the community as a whole, I think it'd be fantastic if this became the norm for RP realms with some sort of option to enable/disable it
This was my first ToA and I really just cannot image it without CrossRP. It adds so much to the experience, ended up making friends this week from both the Alliance and the Horde.
A handful of the replies here focus on the fact that lore supports cross-faction talk. The devs are certainly aware of this, and mention that in the first cited article in the OP. It's a gameplay thing; so while the factions can communicate in lore, players just aren't allowed. It's a decision with pros and cons, but I think it's great that Warcraft is sticking to their principles.

RP is a special case though. There are lots of different ways to RP. For example, some people don't even follow lore at all. They just use the game models and everything for an environment to facilitate their stories that they play out. Like for example they could pretend they're from Earth exploring a foreign planet (Argus??). That's all right. That's their roleplay (when I first started, my first RP was with a guy from "planet Earth"). Should the devs cater to that and invest development time to better that experience? Probably not.

Then you have people (like some of the replies in here) that talk about positive experiences with the opposing faction, having fun with them (using an addon to chat cross-faction). Horde and Alliance getting along together and becoming friends because it's just... comedic and entertaining, going to get an ice cream or something at the faire or ride the carousel – neutral-aligned RP. Should the devs invest development time to better that experience? Maybe not. This might even be an argument against changing the way things work because it doesn't have the same ideals they want to push for Battle for Azeroth. "It Matters", right?

Then you've got the group of roleplayers that want to focus hard on the current narrative. The intense war between factions for survival or the right to stay on the planet. The two factions now hate each other. Roleplayers want to write stories around this lore, enact wars, conflict, negotiations, chaos, and of course – morally gray decisions. They can't do that easily if they can't roleplay together with their enemies. Should the devs invest a little development time to better that experience for roleplayers?

Heck YEAH.

While I'm not of course very knowledgeable about the logistics involved (from side effects and such), the proposed changes the OP suggests are TINY, programmatically, and would greatly benefit RP communities!
Yet they can all talk to each other in cinematics and factions that both sides get rep with.
08/12/2018 08:00 PMPosted by Ticklepatch
Yet they can all talk to each other in cinematics and factions that both sides get rep with.

Yeah what's up with that? Is it "Azerothian"?
08/12/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Vorawsoul
08/12/2018 08:00 PMPosted by Ticklepatch

Yeah what's up with that? Is it "Azerothian"?
Just common
I love this idea.

I think if one wanted to even take it a step further, you could even make this a feature that is only available to RP servers (not sure if this was already mentioned, but imma say it anyway). Right now, there isn't much in the way of defining an RP server other than it just being a place where those of us who like to RP, go. If a feature was added that really set RP servers apart from regular servers, I think that would be amazing.
08/12/2018 03:32 PMPosted by Tammya
08/12/2018 03:17 PMPosted by Forums
And speaking as someone who has played MMOs where cross-faction communication was an option since day 1, it really brings out a lot of toxicity in people. Kill someone in PvP? Get loads of hate tells. Tap someone else's mob? Get loads of hate tells.

There's always going to be bad eggs in the mix. But rather than using this as an argument why factions shouldn't be able to chat/roleplay with each other, why not just have these toxic people moderated? If they do that, then they should be silenced.

And there are options in the game to squelch or silence people who misbehave, and were this option to be implemented I'm sure it would be heavily moderated.

Saying no, people would abuse it is no reason to not do something. People are nasty to each other in battlegrounds, should we not allow those either?
Honestly this add on has been a game changer, and with the way things are playing out with War of the Thorns and how this Expac could go I think now is the perfect time for this. It's been a long time coming. I never had so much fun RPing before. RPing with Hordies and interacting with the culture and testing the waters with racial and faction tensions is awesome. Seriously I get so giddy using this addon knowing I can finally "cross the line" and have a good time with my fellow players.
08/12/2018 03:17 PMPosted by Forums
No. Absolutely not. The only difference between RP servers and other servers are all based on POLICIES. Not technologies. Even the sharding as Blizzard can control that on a server-by-server basis. They just opt to not turn it on for RP servers except in specific circumstances.

Removing the faction communication barrier is a technical difference in the code so they will not be supporting two different sets. Nor will they open the Pandora's Box of enabling cross-faction chat globally. Because they'd either have to enable it so Horde can understand Common which isn't something they could really do on just a small subset of servers. HAving that ability go away with Warmode would be easier since they could make it an ability that turns off when PvP flagged much like how the PvP talents turn on, but still, more trouble than it's worth.

And speaking as someone who has played MMOs where cross-faction communication was an option since day 1, it really brings out a lot of toxicity in people. Kill someone in PvP? Get loads of hate tells. Tap someone else's mob? Get loads of hate tells.

That is one wall I pray NEVER comes down. Ever. It's a selling point for the game actually.

You can talk to the other team in Overwatch. What's the difference?
I will RP my axe into your body while telling how good it feel!
Had the best time of my life using this, I support this!
If that means I can be toxic to horde players, then sure.
I would not mind it at all.
I am worried that it may kindle friendlier relations with the opposing faction, but so long as they understand that some of our characters are hardcore horde haters, and that is okay, i am game.
Full support towards this!
Approved and signed.
08/12/2018 09:17 PMPosted by Sevirekath
Honestly this add on has been a game changer, and with the way things are playing out with War of the Thorns and how this Expac could go I think now is the perfect time for this. It's been a long time coming. I never had so much fun RPing before. RPing with Hordies and interacting with the culture and testing the waters with racial and faction tensions is awesome. Seriously I get so giddy using this addon knowing I can finally "cross the line" and have a good time with my fellow players.
It's not really the addon to thank. The reason this is possible now is due to the changes that Battle for Azeroth brings, which is new rules (a EULA which doesn't forbid cross-faction chat) and new communication options. It's already a huge step in the right direction towards helping roleplayers get cool war stories crafted, and the addon is merely a convenience layer on top of this.

08/12/2018 09:23 PMPosted by Ukhu
I will RP my axe into your body while telling how good it feel!
Heck yeah my dude, let those Alliance pigs know just how much delight you take in your mutilation with sweetly crafted emotes.

08/12/2018 10:05 PMPosted by Daxtrovian
I am worried that it may kindle friendlier relations with the opposing faction
I speculate that's the developers' concern as well. Some people say that the main reason there's a faction barrier is to stop toxic chat, but that's not really a problem. There's always going to be rude people, and that happens on your random PUG team just as much as it might happen from an enemy.

As for making friends with the enemy? There's the real concern, and that can definitely hinder the game experience they want to push forward. That's why I outline in the OP that these changes should be a change for RP realms and non PVP only. Roleplayers need it to play, other players don't really need it. Some roleplayers still like the game the way it is in PVP, and so you have the war mode switch. RP is a different way to enjoy the game, and it makes sense that RP realms should try to facilitate that the best they can.
08/12/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Tammya
You can’t roleplay with someone if you can't communicate with them.

Yet another roleplay enthusiast who really doesn't know what the word means.

Of course you can. You are Alliance, they are Horde, you fight each other. There, that is "roleplaying."

You kill them in a battleground, then plant a flag in their corpse. Again, this is "roleplaying."

Somehow you younger folks got the impression that "roleplaying" entails doing flowery skits, or something.

It is just you, out in the world being Alliance, while that other guy is out being Horde. You can't "communicate", so get creative.

Blizzard isn't going to change it, for customer service complaint reasons.

-------

You people make me SO ANGRY, SO VERY TRIGGERED.

We had to ROLEPLAY, WITH PAPER, AND PENCILS. WHEN WAS EVEN THE LAST TIME YOU USED A REGULAR PENCIL? We had CHARACTER SHEETS. A NERD GUY, WITH BAD ACNE, was our SIMULATION. The entire POINT is that the STAGE is ALREADY THERE. You don't have to ROLEPLAY being a Night Elf Beast Mastery Hunter, with a Silithid pet and AME the Mech Gorilla pet, YOU SIMPLY ARE ONE.

HOW CAN YOU RUIN THIS? HOW?