My Tips for Resto Sham

Shaman
I just wrote this for someone asking for help in a thread, and I figured I would put it up as it's own post for other people to benefit from.

I mained resto shaman as a mythic raider in Legion and here are some of my thoughts:

First, you need to understand that Shaman excel in group healing. They have more AOE heals than anyone else. WHEN Shaman are given a chance to AOE heal, they can do significantly more healing than any other class.

Don't wait for chances to AOE heal. Create them.

It is worth regularly asking your group to stand close to each other when they can do so without taking additional damage. At the start of high M+ keys, I used to always say "guys, remember I do tons of AOE healing, so please try and stay kind of close together."

Additionally, when your team isn't grouped, a nice trick is using your own body as a connector for chain heal. You can run in between 2 or 3 guys in such a way that the chain bounces between you and the others.

With that in mind, it's worth putting ghost wolf on one of your favourite hotkeys so you can shape shift super easy through out the fight.

Another thing that people overlook is the use of spirit link totem as a tank cooldown and means to create AOE healing opportunities. When your tank is about to get blown up, run in with the melee and drop spirit link totem. That way the damage is spread out among yourself and several others, then you can use your big AOE heals to top up everyone. Even if its just you and the tank in there, its worth it.

The second thing about shamans is all their tricks. You need to realize that stuns, interrupts and CC that prevent damage from occurring in the first place are actually even better than healing.

Shaman's are lucky to come with an AOE stun and a ranged interrupt. Use these to prevent damage from happening at every opportunity.

As well, if you have a tank who wants to do some kiting, or if he is just running around tagging mobs, you can use your slowing totem to slow the mobs down - thus preventing them from doing damage while they chase your tank.

Additionally, if there are 2 to 4 mobs dealing damage and you hex one of them into a frog - thats like 50% - 25% LESS damage for your tank to deal with.

Lets assume that some turd on your team will break the hex with AOE damage (because they always do)... it's still really good.

Even if your hex only holds for 7 seconds, 25%-50% less damage for 7 seconds is just as good as any other major tank cooldown that the other healers pack.

Finally, I would just add that M\my major wishlist item for rsham ib BFA would be to have the Earth Elemental be affected by Spirit Link Totem.

If rshams could spawn the elemental into a spirit link totem, it would be like the best tank cooldown in the game, because just the elemental beside the tank would effectively be a 50% damage reduction for the tank.
Good list, I'm 327 now and just tried to do Mythic 0 Underrot and on the second trash pack its brutal and I know the common knowledge that in most cases the trash is harder then the bosses but I feel like when the AOE gets really heavy even on heroic it take quite a bit for me to recover the party to manageable levels. Any insight on how best to manage situations like this?
Personally on mythic 0 I'm finding a lot of the AoE just unhealable. Like healing rain + chain heal is nowhere near enough, weaving tidal wave stacks in there helps for a single target but oh my god the forced spread damage everywhere in these mythics are an absolute nightmare
I’ve had no issues in mythics whatsoever.

People don’t die unless they’re idiots and don’t follow mechanics. In fact I feel there’s been accidental pulls, or debuff stacks that I’ve been able to keep my team alive where I feel a lot of healers wouldn’t have been able to do.

Some fun utility like kicks, stun, purge and pretty good damage on lots of trash / boss fights.

I never use chain heal. It’s trash in dungeons imo. Same with healing rain in dungeons... I only use healing rain after fights to heal the group as I’m drinking. I’ve used it in a few fights maybe where I should be dpsing, but I guess I’m bored lol. I use riptide on cd and spam tons of healing waves. Healing surge spam when I need quick heals under pressure

Been running:

Undulation
Earth shield
Spirit wolf
Earthern wall
Nature’s guardian
Flash flood
Ascendance
Irunfast I'll try changing up my strategy and see what happens, maybe it will even out with ilevel but it definitely feels rough right now XD.
there is a vast difference in healing pugs full of window licking turnips vs. an organized, decently geared group. Mechanics is everything right now.
08/22/2018 08:40 PMPosted by Faylinn
Irunfast I'll try changing up my strategy and see what happens, maybe it will even out with ilevel but it definitely feels rough right now XD.

Resto is absolute garbage compared to other specs. Our rotation if you will is absolutely trash, takes 100x more skill than other classes, and results in less healing.

I only played resto and suffered the pain until 325 to do mythics as enhance lol
08/22/2018 04:18 PMPosted by Faylinn
Good list, I'm 327 now and just tried to do Mythic 0 Underrot and on the second trash pack its brutal and I know the common knowledge that in most cases the trash is harder then the bosses but I feel like when the AOE gets really heavy even on heroic it take quite a bit for me to recover the party to manageable levels. Any insight on how best to manage situations like this?

Honestly, compared to other healers the times where your whole group has been burst down is when Resto Shaman should be at their finest. I don't have a 120 resto shaman at the moment, but I would guess you could make 2 adjustments:

1 - Try running Cloud Burst Totem with AOE healing spam.
2 - Make sure you are stacking mastery in your gear. It makes you stronger when everyone is close to death.

But most importantly, keep in mind at mythic 0 in week 2 of the expansion, you are on the edge of progression. If it was easy for you this week, I would say blizzard failed in BFA. It should be hard to do M0 now.
I never use chain heal. It’s trash in dungeons imo. Same with healing rain in dungeons... I only use healing rain after fights to heal the group as I’m drinking. I’ve used it in a few fights maybe where I should be dpsing, but I guess I’m bored lol. I use riptide on cd and spam tons of healing waves. Healing surge spam when I need quick heals under pressure

I like to put healing rain down whenever I don't need to be healing. It's a bit of a pre-emptive safety net. In my opinion, taking extra measures to ensure that the team doesn't wipe is far more important than doing a little extra DPS.

A few fireballs and lightning bursts from a shaman is the equivalent of like 1 off hand swipe from a real DPS toon. In my cautious view, that marginal damage is completely secondary to taking extra precautionary measures like healing rain, purge and dispell.
I like to put healing rain down whenever I don't need to be healing. It's a bit of a pre-emptive safety net. In my opinion, taking extra measures to ensure that the team doesn't wipe is far more important than doing a little extra DPS.

A few fireballs and lightning bursts from a shaman is the equivalent of like 1 off hand swipe from a real DPS toon. In my cautious view, that marginal damage is completely secondary to taking extra precautionary measures like healing rain, purge and dispell.

Pretty much how I use healing rain. It uses a lot of mana and is designed for raid heals not dungeons imo, but I cast it like you said.

Our dps is decent especially if we get lava procs. I’ll keep flame Shock on as many targets as I can. IMO for the upper keys our damage will help
Is it just me, or are players in general extremely reluctant to admit that CC just might be important to use on trash again? Myself included.

As tank I feel super lame asking for CC, but I realize that's the difference between a mellow trash pull and the usual "Am I going to die or am I not holy god I should blow mitigation cooldowns, my poor healer"
As a healer it's a similar deal. Tank says they can take it, my HPS sets new records as my group floats near death.
Thanks for the advice everyone and Razgrad I agree I use my stun totem on trash every time its off CD if we still have more then 2 mobs up and Purge is really useful this Xpac. I realize its early days this time round but DPS and tanks to a lesser extent need to start utilizing abilities CC stuns etc and not just tunneling damage and assuming the healer has unlimited healing in the new GCD locked world we live in.
If you're healing just make your own groups to be able to vet the tanks and dps to make sure they aren't idiots and you'll have a breeze as resto. Otherwise its unplayable if dps and tanks dont know how to interrupt, cc, use cooldowns etc. Unless they are far outgearing it
Hexes than “”””last only 7 seconds””””” are actually very good hexes.

Aside from that, very good tips. I’ve been enjoying Resto so far, got myself to 335 ilvl and done every mythic besides King’s Rest, they all went smoothly aside from SotS. Build ive been running:

Undulation
Echo of the Elements
Ghost in the Mist
Ancestral Vigor
Nature’s Guardian
Flash Flood
High Tide
Good list. 342 ilvl Mythic raider Rshaman here (been playing restoration since Cataclysm). The only things I would change are:

08/22/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Irunfast
I never use chain heal. It’s trash in dungeons imo.

Chain heal is not garbage, however it is overused incorrectly. For those that wish to use chain heal more in the healing "rotation" try running Unleash Life/Flash Flood/High Tide in dungeons.

Unleashed life will increase the chain heal by 45% (and as far as I know this applies to the "bounces" as well)
Flash Flood will directly decrease the cast time of your next chain heal.
High Tide will increase the overall throughput of your chain heal (although I hesitate to use this talent since Ascendance as a CD is just too good to pass up).

[quote="207662997464"] 1 - Try running Cloud Burst Totem with AOE healing spam.
2 - Make sure you are stacking mastery in your gear. It makes you stronger when everyone is close to death.

Cloudburst Totem has very little use in dungeons however should be picked up once the raid is released.

The current stat priority for Rshaman is:
Intellect>Crit>Vers>Haste>=Mastery

Although we were HEAVY mastery users since Cataclysm for raiding. Currently in BFA mastery as a secondary stat is not displaying the same utility as our other secondary stats.
Something I always do that is often over looked. On humanoids and beast, hex can be used to interrupt any ability so long as hex can work on them. Even if broken immediately, you can save a ton of damage with this. It makes us one of the best interrupt healers in the game.
08/23/2018 02:45 PMPosted by Incenerator
If you're healing just make your own groups to be able to vet the tanks and dps to make sure they aren't idiots and you'll have a breeze as resto. Otherwise its unplayable if dps and tanks dont know how to interrupt, cc, use cooldowns etc. Unless they are far outgearing it

My only issue with this is sometimes vetting tanks is an unfriendly process. I have brought a tank 20 item level down because he was a guildie to help them out. On top of that, tanks are the hardest class to find. Vetting is a luxury we do not have this early in the expansion
unleash life is not good. like really it is not.

chain heal is not a thing you do when someone is near death

maximizing chain heal in m+ is a hilarious nonsequitur

chain heal is only used because A) it is only now more efficient because all our other traits got destroyed and i hate blizzard and
B) it gives you TW and
C) it can be made a little faster with FF
08/23/2018 09:32 AMPosted by Razgrad
Is it just me, or are players in general extremely reluctant to admit that CC just might be important to use on trash again? Myself included.

As tank I feel super lame asking for CC, but I realize that's the difference between a mellow trash pull and the usual "Am I going to die or am I not holy god I should blow mitigation cooldowns, my poor healer"
As a healer it's a similar deal. Tank says they can take it, my HPS sets new records as my group floats near death.

QFMT. I feel like my use of Hex makes me look bad in dungeons but it is so damn helpful. Every time I am in these dungeons with multiple mages and I only see my frog hopping around while I struggle to heal the group up has me scratching my head. This is the first expansion where I have been prioritizing guild/chill runs to spare myself the emotional drain and stress of pugs.