The throne room trap...

General Discussion
08/09/2018 01:22 PMPosted by Raximoose
08/09/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Truefel
Stop calling Jaina deus ex machina, you’re only showing you have no idea what it actually means. It’s a Latin phrase that means “god from the machine”. So stop using phrases that you have no clue the meaning of, you sound like an idiot.
Yeah....so it's pretty much exactly a case of deus ex machina. Thanks for the clarification.

Oh, it's definitely deus ex machina (not that I didn't enjoy it). Jaina literally comes out of the sky (similar to the phrase's origin) and instantly stops the blight bombs which Anduin and Genn and the rest of the army had no way to escape.
08/09/2018 01:01 PMPosted by Ezisarious
How is Jaina a Deus Ex Machina?
They set up the whole thing with her Warbringer's feature.
It fit just fine, and it made total sense. :D

Because Warbringers was not part of the story being told at that time. It also did not point to her being in the battle, arriving exactly when she did, and solving their two big problems with a wave of her had. Claiming Warbrings "set it up" is like trying to claim it not being Dues Ex Machina the 2nd time we watch it because we know it will happen.

In short her appearance was sudden, unexpected, and solved 2 insurmountable obstacles. It is the definition of Deus ex Machina.
08/09/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Truefel
Stop calling Jaina deus ex machina, you’re only showing you have no idea what it actually means. It’s a Latin phrase that means “god from the machine”. So stop using phrases that you have no clue the meaning of, you sound like an idiot.

Yes in the Greek plays they would lower a "god" character down on a rope who would fix a problem that was stopping the hero from progressing (death, monster, giant rock, ect).

In modern usage it means the sudden and unexpected appearance of a character that solves an otherwise insurmountable problem the other characters are experiencing.

In this case Janie literally flew in out of nowhere and stopped the blight and breached the walls.
08/09/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Chuichi
I overall enjoyed SOL but that throne room scene really bothers me. Genn has every right to want to gut that monster but both time he comes to Ms. lichqueen defense more then genn. Like after that first insult he should of been like "no you shut your mouth !@#$%" or something along those lines. Genn is like an uncle to Anduin and he should not take that kinda treatment of him.

The point of that part of the scene was to show that the Horde leaders’ stated assumptions about Anduin being a weak king and/or ruled by Genn are wrong.

Edit: Too damn much autocorrect.
08/09/2018 01:22 PMPosted by Hamstar
08/09/2018 12:42 PMPosted by Nubpwn
If she knew she was going to lose the city, why the need for more than one contingency plan?

So your problem is that she had a contingency plan and a plan of last resort?

The problem is she had two contingency plans, that's bad writing. She knew she was going to lose the city and so the first blight bomb should have covered the entire area including the throne room. Otherwise she expected to keep the city and would not have ever evacuated. Either way it doesn't make any sense.
08/09/2018 12:52 PMPosted by Chuichi
08/09/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Patchs
I don't know what's more stupid.

That Sylvanas thought she was safe to walk up to the High King while 3 of the Alliance's most trigger-happy warmongers trained their weapons on her?

Or that they actually f*cking let her do it!?

They let her do it because she was unarmed. Without the trap there is jack !@#$ Ms. lichqueen could do to them. Still dumb though.

She could have straight up possessed him and held him hostage. She is a Banshee after all. Oh wait, that power was also conveniently forgotten by the writers.
Multiple contingency plans is good planning.

The intent was to evacuate the people and raze the city preventing its use as a staging area against the Horde.

She was going to lose the resources of the Undercity. So why let the Alliance have the moral victory of reclaiming a lost kingdom, and the resources that had been gathered over the years?

Her plan was to evacuate the civilians and raze her city...and in the process remove the Alliance of as many soldiers as possible and killing its leadership. I think on all counts it was a success..People seem to think that her plan was to retain the city. If she kept it, it would be a boon but if not then it was going to be burned to the ground anyway.
Whats pretty sad for the Alliance is, if Jaina did not show up, we would have lost and there probably would have been no expansion either.....

How do you raid Undercity and not plan for a blight attack? ffs.....

That Sylvanas thought she was safe to walk up to the High King while 3 of the Alliance's most trigger-happy warmongers trained their weapons on her?

I was wondering why Anduin didn't just put his sword through her right then and there. If not to kill, then to bring her in to answer for what she's done.

That was my biggest gripe with the whole scenario.
08/09/2018 01:01 PMPosted by Glamlamb
08/09/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Cél
She is a genius Blizz literally just launched a short story on that everything that is happening is going just as Sylvanas planned....

You mean the Ali got a super OP character that randomly decided to get her head out of her feelings? QQ......
Making a ship float and causing an area to freeze is normal powerful mage stuff.

See khadgar.

Or Thalyssra.

Or any powerful mage in lore.

She's got a staff that's powerful and a boat she's using as a focus. Nothing special or crazy powerful there.

The Kirin Tor have done much bigger things.

yea, Khadgar moved a whole city.. A WHOLE CITY!
08/09/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Sarynth

I was wondering why Anduin didn't just put his sword through her right then and there. If not to kill, then to bring her in to answer for what she's done.

He was too busy muzzling his dog.
08/09/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Cél
She is a genius Blizz literally just launched a short story on that everything that is happening is going just as Sylvanas planned....

You mean the Ali got a super OP character that randomly decided to get her head out of her feelings? QQ......

It's odd more that many experts on Jaina's mood swings forget she's the third most powerful mage on Azeroth
08/09/2018 01:39 PMPosted by Carstias
Multiple contingency plans is good planning.

The intent was to evacuate the people and raze the city preventing its use as a staging area against the Horde.

She was going to lose the resources of the Undercity. So why let the Alliance have the moral victory of reclaiming a lost kingdom, and the resources that had been gathered over the years?

Her plan was to evacuate the civilians and raze her city...and in the process remove the Alliance of as many soldiers as possible and killing its leadership. I think on all counts it was a success..People seem to think that her plan was to retain the city. If she kept it, it would be a boon but if not then it was going to be burned to the ground anyway.

It's not good planning, it's poor writing. You even said her plan was to take out as much of the enemy as possible and evacuate. She failed to this with one bomb. Instead she waited in the throne room that she should never have expected them to reach when the first bomb could of just been stronger and taken out everything.

Edit: Remember, they never would have reached the throne room if Jaina, whom Sylvanas did not anticipate, had not arrived. So without Jaina, Sylvanas sits in the throne room with a bunch of bombs looking like an idiot.
08/09/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Cél
Lol you are totally right, its was so hard for Khadgar to teleport some people but yes Jaina did it not problem and Khadgar is a trust master.....

This is not the first time we have seen Jaina teleport a group out if a situation. Hell this is not even the first time we have seen her teleport an Alliance king out of the Under City. Why are people so hung up upon the fact she do something we have already seen her do back in Wraith?
I don't know what deus ex means but her real throne room was in the sewers so it was obviously a trap if she was all alone with no guards.
I think having contingency plans is a pretty common practice. Its possible she had that death room prepared for a number of occasions like "oh i need to gas this horde leader", or "the worgan are sending a suicide squad to end me, lets just use the throne room trap". I agree wholeheartedly that her walking up to anduin, and also her magic not being interrupted by either anduin or jaina is a bitter pill for those who side with the alliance in this case.

Jaina being able to teleport them out is a given, that's like her signature move from wc3: teleporting 12 units to another unit, i think she even does it in the ol hyjal raid. Furthermore Jaina being on a offensive against the horde isn't a huge surprise, the real surprises are that the alliance still doesn't have good countermeasures against the blight, and that we somehow could not just strike the true undercity via mole machines, portals, and air support.

Actually, Anduin I get. "He's not the stab an enemy in the chest while they are sitting there talking to you" kinda guy. I mean he did arrange a whole meeting of the living and forsaken thing because he felt bad his butler died.

What I don't get is Alleria had a POINT BLANK SHOT at her HEAD. Like all she had to do was LET GO.
08/09/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Linias

Actually, Anduin I get. "He's not the stab an enemy in the chest while they are sitting there talking to you" kinda guy. I mean he did arrange a whole meeting of the living and forsaken thing because he felt bad his butler died.

What I don't get is Alleria had a POINT BLANK SHOT at her HEAD. Like all she had to do was LET GO.
Genn would've literally rushed her as soon as she took a step towards Anduin.

That dude would not let Sylvanas get within smooching range of the High King.