Silence penalty is bad

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9
09/11/2018 07:24 AMPosted by Cstain
Ever thought of just trying to control your anger?

I don’t think a game should be changed because you are rude and toxic. Hopefully next time you will get more than just a silence.

If telling people that they need to actually move in a TIMED RUN is toxic, then I'll never make the mistake of playing with randoms again. This is exactly how communities crumble. There is no reason for me to play with subpar pug players if there's a risk of losing my ability to communicate with my friends in other games (yea, WoW is the only blizzard game that blocks you from communicating in blizzard chat or in other blizzard games).
09/11/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Kuuzi
And reported for trolling.

¯\_(ヅ)_/¯

you can't tell basic facts from trolling?

in that case, i guess it's a good thing you're not able to currently report in game.

if your sole reason for wanting to report people is spite, you'll find that the penalties for false reporting will hurt a lot more than a silence.
Thank god for ignore user.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This guy is an obvious troll. But he's going to keep doing so in a way that he knows isn't actionable. 10/10 catering to trolls.
09/11/2018 07:32 AMPosted by Kuuzi
This guy is an obvious troll.

choosing not to buy into a debunked conspiracy theory, does not equate to trolling.

See, that is where you are wrong, someone reported your "sarcastic jokes" and the GMs finally got around to actioning you for it.

The timing was coincidental.

Also, there aren't enough people in a m+ to activate a squelch.

So, no, it was not abused, and, yes, you apparently earned your silence.

Lol they were private chats so no, the single recipient of them did not report me.

Look, you can go google "Automated WoW silence" and see that Azmongold typed "I love world of warcraft" into trade chat and was silenced after asking viewers to spam report him. That is 100% undeniable proof that it is automated.

Great leaping horny toads!

Yet another reference to the thoroughly debunked video that actually proves nothing other than SQUELCHS are automated and that abusing the report system gets you a game suspension.

Look, we know you don't want to believe that your buddy reported you, but all evidence points otherwise.
people should use the ignore feature. problem over.
08/15/2018 09:09 AMPosted by Mordeacai
Bad system is bad.

Or you could just not make an !@# out of yourself in any Blizzard game?
09/11/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Oniana

putting a bandaid on a festering wound, doesn't remove the infection.
Folks, this had been explained and debunked by Bliz ad nauseam. If you can't bring yourself to believe those who administer the system as telling the truth, take the "I know better than those who know" or "BLIZ LIES!!!" soapbox to a favorite conspiracy forum.
09/11/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Kuuzi
Look, you can go google "Automated WoW silence" and see that Azmongold typed "I love world of warcraft" into trade chat and was silenced after asking viewers to spam report him. That is 100% undeniable proof that it is automated.
It's people that put blind faith in to uncontrolled experiments like this (and especially those who conduct the flawed experiments in the first place) that leads to all this confusion.

No, Kuuzi, silences are not automated. What Asmongold stumbled upon was the automated squelch system that has been in place since 2007. It was initially put in to deal with spammers, like gold sellers. It triggers when there is a rapid number of reports in short time span in an effort to quickly mute an offender while the account awaits manual review.

For the skimmers:
The automated squelch system has been in the game since 2007. That is what Asmongold unknowingly stumbled on. And rightly so since he was reported rapid fire in very short time span.

So yes, it can happen right around the time something is said in the chat, but only if the reports per time threshold is reached. However....

When it comes to manual silences, they are never instantaneous, thus obviously can't be automated, simply because there's a constantly cycling queue of incoming reports that have to be worked though. The more a player is reported, the faster they move up the queue, but there is still a delay.

Over in the CS forum when people kick the door in all upset about an 'automated system', nine times out of ten, it wasn't the automated squelch that got them. It was a report from the days/week prior that finally got its turn and the GM slapped on a silence.

For the skimmers:
The vast majority of the time, the application of the silence and what was just said in chat is only a coincidence. It's a manual silence from a past violation.
09/11/2018 07:30 AMPosted by Kuuzi
If telling people that they need to actually move in a TIMED RUN is toxic,

How you tell people to move can be done in either a toxic or non-toxic manner. I'm betting you went with the first choice.

People should just abide by the rules that they agreed to follow.
Starting to think that every time that joke of a video is referenced it is merely to drum up some more ad revenue for the streamer.

As often as it is brought up and debunked, I am having a hard time believing that anyone blindly takes it as gospel anymore.
09/11/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Nobully

too bad that analogy has zero meaning. if you /ignore the person you never see it again and the problem is solved.
09/11/2018 08:55 AMPosted by Oniana

too bad that analogy has zero meaning. if you /ignore the person you never see it again and the problem is solved.

no, the problem is still there.
it doesn't stop if someone puts them on ignore.. unless it's via pm.

regardless, the ignore list is simply not big enough to use for this purpose.

it's not hard for people to abide by the rules they agreed to.

It is only solved until I log into an alt.

The limited ignore list is not a viable solution in a game with millions of players.

You see, my ignore list is saved exclusively for group trolling scum who deliberately wipe the instance groups I am in.

The beautiful thing about the report feature is that it places the offender on a temporary ignore list without using an ignore slot as well as letting Blizzard decide if the offender broke the rules.

Just ignoring offenders does not truly solve the issue either, they are still there breaking the rules. They also set an example that others follow, the "If that person can act like that without consequences, so can I." type of bad example.

You can liken it to ignoring the drug dealer on the corner, pretty soon you have to watch where you step to avoid needles stabbing you in the foot, or, you can report it to the police who will investigate, arrest, and remove the problem.

The rules are pretty simple and easy to follow, if they are broken, the rule breakers should face the consequences for it.
if you /ignore the person you never see it again and the problem is solved.
Ignoring garbage piling up in your living room doesn't make the smell and flies go away. Problem NOT solved.
08/15/2018 09:32 AMPosted by Krakdotz
Sounds like it should be extended to the forums to me.

They do, when reported they get banned. I know this from experience. I was rude in one of my posts and got suspended for a week. I took it as a life lesson and believe I became a better person when I stopped and thought about what I did and how it offered nothing. Live and learn I say OP.