Why did DKs join the war?

General Discussion
08/15/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Ethia
08/15/2018 08:00 PMPosted by Lyontide
Because service does not end with death.

But why be apart of that service when people hate you, want to kill you, and treat you poorly?

We don't fight to be celebrated heroes. People hate us because we do monstrous things. But the things we do are always in service of those same people that hate us, to make sure they have a future.

Death Knights are honestly the most morally grey, yet selfless, organization in Warcraft, as far as I'm concerned. They'll never be heralded as heroes, or remembered as being righteous. And they couldn't care less about all that, so long as the people who hate them are still around. And they do the worst things to protect those people.
All death knights are inflicted with an "addiction" of sorts; referred to as the "eternal hunger" by Highlord Darion Mograine and as the "endless hunger" by the dread Instructor Razuvious. A death knight will feel immeasurable pain and agony if it is not inflicting suffering and/or death on a regular basis. The pain is so great that failure to sate the hunger could result in the death knight becoming lost in a blood-seeking, murderous frenzy. After sating the hunger soon upon creation, a death knight is then instructed to duel other death knights in a ritual known as Death's Challenge, which was born from the Lich King's victory over Illidan Stormrage in the frozen wastes. The hunger even overrides magic dependency.

I think Murder hobo-ing my way across Kul Tiras or Zanzibar / w/e counts towards feeding that hunger.
08/15/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Lyontide
08/15/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Ethia

But why be apart of that service when people hate you, want to kill you, and treat you poorly?

We don't fight to be celebrated heroes. People hate us because we do monstrous things. But the things we do are always in service of those same people that hate us, to make sure they have a future.

Death Knights are honestly the most morally grey, yet selfless, organization in Warcraft, as far as I'm concerned. They'll never be heralded as heroes, or remembered as being righteous. And they couldn't care less about all that, so long as the people who hate them are still around. And they do the worst things to protect those people.

Then what about hero Thessarian? He's trying to be heroic
08/15/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Ethia
08/15/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Lyontide

Then what about hero Thessarian? He's trying to be heroic

Yeah but Thassarian is an odd duck. I think Darion embodies what it is to be a Death Knight pretty nicely.
We were once heroes for our respective faction. That didn't change. We view the Ebon Blade as our home due to forming it to defeat the Lich King and succeeding, however we aren't bound to that. We are still loyal to our faction to which we once served. Fighting to redeem ourselves, aid the faction we were once sworn to, and also I mean killing things helps Death Knights live so, kind of a win win there.
Because the scourge shall end the living for good.. the world must be purged from the living only the undead shall remain...
08/15/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Ross
We were once heroes for our respective faction. That didn't change. We view the Ebon Blade as our home due to forming it to defeat the Lich King and succeeding, however we aren't bound to that. We are still loyal to our faction to which we once served. Fighting to redeem ourselves, aid the faction we were once sworn to, and also I mean killing things helps Death Knights live so, kind of a win win there.

But why? The faction hates you, they want you dead, the are unfriendly, they disrespect you. (most of them anyways) Why should you help them if they hate you
After leaving the Lich King they chose side to join and that cause. Kinda like Pandas. Why would they care? They live on an island in the middle of no where. Same story. They left that island and chose either horde or alliance.
I don't understand why bolvar isn't on the alliance side. His daughter is in this expansion in kul'tiras. He was alliance and given the opportunity I'm sure the horde would kill his daughter as an enemy combatant.

I know he shares his body and soul with ner'zhul now, but part of him should still remember his family
08/15/2018 07:51 PMPosted by Huggablysoft
what are they living for? The joy of baking?
"I AM my carbs!"
08/15/2018 08:19 PMPosted by Veneris
I don't understand why bolvar isn't on the alliance side. His daughter is in this expansion in kul'tiras

So far, he wants every living being/ beings that aren't dks to know that he's dead, because revealing that he's the lich king now, will unsettle things for the worst
08/15/2018 08:19 PMPosted by Eastcroft
08/15/2018 07:51 PMPosted by Huggablysoft
what are they living for? The joy of baking?
"I AM my carbs!"

XD
08/15/2018 08:19 PMPosted by Veneris
I don't understand why bolvar isn't on the alliance side. His daughter is in this expansion in kul'tiras

So far, hew wants every living being/ beings that aren't dks to know that he's dead, because revealing that he's the lich king now, will unsettle things for the worst

Oh yeah...forgot about that. Remembering now that jaina and syl are kinda just keeping it a secret and nobody thinks anduin should know.
DKs probably joined the war for the same reason warlocks and DHs did.

To get more powerful.
I got costs and Sylvanas has gold.
08/15/2018 08:28 PMPosted by Zigbar
DKs probably joined the war for the same reason warlocks and DHs did.

To get more powerful.

Doubt that dhs are there to get more powerful. To me night elf dhs are angry that innocent night elves were killed by the Horde
08/15/2018 08:28 PMPosted by Deathanddrek
I got costs and Sylvanas has gold.

Time is money
08/15/2018 08:17 PMPosted by Draclaura
Because the scourge shall end the living for good.. the world must be purged from the living only the undead shall remain...

That's rude
I agree, we shouldnt be here. It is not like we are getting an allied race or anything.
At least the modern DK isn't trying to be made of edges so sharp you cut yourself upon looking at them, unlike the demon hunters.

Seriously, the demon hunters act like they are trying super hard to out-edge the dks. This goes even up to their flying base. It's like Archerus, but more edgy because it runs on demon magic!