Randomly Generated Servers (Seasonal)

Classic Discussion
How would you guys like the idea of seasonal randomized servers in Classic WoW but the catch is that the maps, dungeons, items stats, class abilties, races, and factions are all completely randomized within relatively balanced parameters?
Everyone would level up raid in the season and the server but the zones, dungeons and everything would be totally new to what we've experienced before. Sure, there would be some things that carry over from the original game but ultimately this would allow for infinite "fresh".

Any balancing issues would be fixed by auto-generated balancing based on class and race population. Every week, there would be 1%-5% buffs and nerfs to the stats, talents, abilties, items and well any number of *things* that deviate from the normal distribution. This means that ultimately any overpowered class or race, item, talent combination is only useful if you are smart enough to deduce the potency of said combo early on before the bandwagon effect.

The season length would be however long it takes the first guild to clear the final raid. Every raid will have random mechanics and stats so there will be some generated which are just too difficult. As stated, there are weekly nerf / buff automated to scale content to a certain level. With raids, this rule would only come into affect after the 2 year mark. At that point, the content will slowly degrade in challenge by 1% difficulty per week (or whatever is deemed reasonable).

HERES THE CATCH: ALL SERVERS HAVE A DIFFERENT SEED. This means that information which is usually readily available on the internet WILL BE COMPLETELY USELESS. GONE ARE THE DAYS OF JUST LOOKING UP COOKIE CUTTER BUILDS/STRATS ONLINE.

Perhaps your server will have a subreddit, but it will be one of many servers and perhaps your server is the only one with Murlock Shamans as a playable class. And perhaps the randomly generated Raid has a randomly generated boss with randomly generated loot-tables which nobody has information on. The mystery and adventure of classic wow will return again and again and will never truly be figured out.
#nochange
08/30/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Sickn
#nochange

I didn't mean to suggest that this would replace Classic. Only a supplemental set of servers.
08/30/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Ezkatka
08/30/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Sickn
#nochange

I didn't mean to suggest that this would replace Classic. Only a supplemental set of servers.

Please do not feed the trolls.
There was an interview done with John Staats, one of the original art developers for WoW--most of the old world art is his. In it, he talks about turmoil within blizzard when they were deciding what to do with the system that is now "instances".

Essentially, they tried the procedurally generated dungeons like in Diablo 3 but decided against it once they saw how poor and "cookie cutter" they looked. There is no real way to make random dungeons into the WoW type experience.
08/30/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Branardol
There was an interview done with John Staats, one of the original art developers for WoW--most of the old world art is his. In it, he talks about turmoil within blizzard when they were deciding what to do with the system that is now "instances".

Essentially, they tried the procedurally generated dungeons like in Diablo 3 but decided against it once they saw how poor and "cookie cutter" they looked. There is no real way to make random dungeons into the WoW type experience.

Perhaps back then. But what about modern technology?
08/30/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Brokenwind
08/30/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Ezkatka

Please do not feed the trolls.

Sometimes people don't understand my main point when I start ranting. So I wanted to be clear about that.
08/30/2018 09:26 AMPosted by Ezkatka
08/30/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Branardol

Perhaps back then. But what about modern technology?

It's still the same concept. You could easily apply scaling tech now, but part of what makes things difficult is the average ilvl of your groups gear and such. As you level, disparities widen and contract. You get new abilities and higher ranks of spells. To design the encounters so they aren't too difficult for their level or too easy they still have to hand tune everything.
This isn't even a change, this would be WoW 3 (WoW 1 being Vanilla to WOTLK and WoW 2 being Cataclysm to BFA).

So, I vote no. I'd rather have Blizzard give us separate BC & WOTLK servers after WoW Classic.
08/30/2018 09:07 AMPosted by Ezkatka
Any balancing issues would be fixed by auto-generated balancing based on class and race population. Every week, there would be 1%-5% buffs and nerfs to the stats, talents, abilties, items and well any number of *things* that deviate from the normal distribution. This means that ultimately any overpowered class or race, item, talent combination is only useful if you are smart enough to deduce the potency of said combo early on before the bandwagon effect.

Balancing numbers based on player perception never works out in reality. Balance of classes is WAY more complicated than the perception players have of what's good.

Some times; a single dominant player can dictate an entire meta (in PVP), this can happen in PVE too, because the players of a very successful group see their "X class name / build here" doing really good, when the fact is that player was really good.

They copy his methodology and the line of copy cats continues because of supposed class superiority when it was just a slew of copy cats creating an artificial bubble of superiority that's in reality not true at all, just the perception is real.

In turn your "smart software" detects the trend and nerfs the class just because people are playing it.

As you can see this is a horrible idea in practice.

As a result my answer is: HARD NO
Cool idea, no way blizzard would ever put money into doing something like this but it's a interesting idea none the less.
Again, Blizzard has been very clear they don't want to have to manage 2 separate MMO's. They have even referred to Classic as a museum piece. This is a non-starter right out of the gate. Clever idea though.
Not going to happen

/thread
No thanks.

I would rather cannibalize a gnome. Oh.. wait....
This sounds disgusting. One of the greatest parts of WoW is the memorable areas and dungeons. Randomly generated stuff is not memorable.