Too many playing melee in BFA (just like Legion)

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 13 Next
08/25/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Skeeks
Everytime theres a mage in the group, they never buff, never give out food and sure as hell don't waste a precious GCD on time warp, always gotta use drums because the mages refuse to time warp.

You're making this up right? Unless you're talking about Legion, in which case there was no buff, and they were probably wearing the legendary ring which gives them a second time warp as long as someone else casts the first one. Oh and if you want food, try asking for it, I think in many cases its often assumed no one is interested in non-stat food.
08/25/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Hartric
I get to stand and cast while getting whaled on with a bonus possibility of being interrupted while using my 1 spell that does real damage.

I play melee all my stuff is instant. And I can handle incoming damage better.

Blizzard needs to rethink the whole caster thing.

It's also great that dungeons like Freehold have mobs that can interrupt your spellcasts.
08/25/2018 12:06 PMPosted by Sneakykinz
When you start a Mythic dungeon group
Have like 20 DPS in queue, all melee classes =/

Sometimes I have to wonder, do people know that if you're playing a class like Paladin/Warrior/Death Knight/Monk/Druid/Demon Hunter and you're playing as melee instead of tank, your odds to get chosen for an invite are incredibly low?

I only invite 1 melee per 5 man group, so take that into consideration. Range classes are highly desirable.

Casters are too weak/too easy to shut down/too much effort.
It's time for a Ranged hero class, Blizz. Stop giving us melee ones!
Vote with your wallet. I am!
Ranged keep losing survivability and more importantly, mobility.

It feels GREAT in this expansion that displacer beast and gust of wind were both removed and yet every single dungeon has fixates or absurd movement requirements in addition to a slew of knockbacks and silences and interrupts.

And yet as a healer I find that ranged, despite having to constantly dance around and do no damage while they kite the untauntable fixates, still manage to avoid more damage than the melee who only have to sidestep 2 yards to the left while doing 100% dps.
Fix the ridiculousness of warrior tanking and I'll tank again.

It's just so... awkward, and tbh, I haven't seen many warrior tanks at all period.

Also TBH. outside of the fact that I'm stubborn and have been playing warrior forever, I'm not sure why I shouldn't be a DH - much better tank, and as DPS even a 3 azerite trait Seismic Wave Arms warrior struggles to compete with an Eyebeam focused DH in AoE. And then there are are WW monks...

Anyways, the solution is to make tanks enticing to play. Warriors aren't. Paladin's aren't. Bears certainly weren't on the beta (but I haven't played one since then). In a world where half the tank specs feel like they are left behind, it's certainly a contributing factor.
08/25/2018 12:08 PMPosted by Azraia
That's because leveling as a ranged char is absolutely awful this expansion. Incorporating an unpredictable interrupt, or knockback, stun, etc, into what feels like every rare or mob pull is frustrating.

It isn't fun, especially not as ranged.

Blizzard did that to themselves.

im glad i'm not the only one infuriated by this. It's as if every other world mob has a shadow strike, side step, or just flat out gets insistently into my hitbox so i don't even know where to aim.
I'll take this guy's Battle Shout over my mage's Arcane Intellect that only helps part of a group any day.
...and sure as hell don't waste a precious GCD on time warp, always gotta use drums because the mages refuse to time warp.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooAwesomeToUse
I only invite 1 melee per 5 man group, so take that into consideration. Range classes are highly desirable.

Then why would playing as a tank be any benefit, EVERYONE can only invite one tank per group whereas most groups take multiple melee, and in fact many of the mythic groups I've been in have been all melee dps and it's fine.

This is 100% your problem. Instead of expecting the world to change to suit you maybe you should invite the people who queue for your group.
When you start a Mythic dungeon group
Have like 20 DPS in queue, all melee classes =/

Sometimes I have to wonder, do people know that if you're playing a class like Paladin/Warrior/Death Knight/Monk/Druid/Demon Hunter and you're playing as melee instead of tank, your odds to get chosen for an invite are incredibly low?

A lot of these dungeons are fine stacking melee. The only ones I can see needing at least 1 ranged on the top of my head is Freehold and Tol Dagor.
Maybe Atal’Dazor?
Melee groups are generally faster and easier. It's unfortunate but true. All the melee classes except for maybe feral druids are doing lots of damage. On ret paladin I'm outdpsing casters who are 40 to 50 ilvls ahead of me it's insane.
Henceforth...melee DPS shall be known as the "facerole"
I don't play my two ranged profession alts, but they're a pain in dungeon fights with a lot of puddles forming under players. With ranged, it seems that I almost always have to stop casting and move half the time. As melee, I can keep hitting stuff while strafing out of the bad stuff.
I remember that Prison Dungeon, which is the same one you escaped from at the start of BfA if you are Alliance, the last boss constantly inflicts an ability on you that after a few seconds, knocks you back. It can't be avoided, and it's absolutely infurating. If it was an ability I could dodge, I could just kick myself in the shins for the stupidity of not avoiding it. BUT it's an attack that can not be avoided.

Did I say that the boss casts it on you constantly? I think I was able to get off 1 or 2 Shadowbolts or Hand of Gul'dan casts before getting afflicted with it again for it to interupt my casts and having to waste time getting back in to range of the boss.

Matter of fact, I think a good portion of the bosses in that dungeon make it absolutely infuriating to be a ranged class. If I ever get placed in it again, I may just eat the deserter debuff. It's far more preferable.
Umm...am I remembering wrong, but was I don't think there was ever a time that the game wasn't oversaturated with melee. Have you ever tried recruiting for a heroic (now mythic) raiding guild? Often you could see periods of 5:1 or higher melee to ranged.
08/25/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Cognyack
Okay, let me give you the "starter experience" breakdown:

This character took ~20 hours to hit level 40. For 18 of those hours the Frost rotation has been Frostbolt/Ice Lance x 5 on average, per mob, for every mob for every quest. Get into multiple adds and get ready to stop and eat if you survive.

At level 7 on a Warrior you already have: Charge, Slam, Victory Rush, Execute and mobs die in about 3 hits which is noticeably faster. Great damage, excellent sustain.

In fact: 1-10 on this guy and several different hunters about 1 hour 30 minutes. 1-10 on warrior 1 hour 5 minutes because stuff dies faster with less down time.

Not to mention melee animations tend to look cooler and feel impactful.

The difference is so bad this guy is now my permanent level 40 Forum character.

Now fast forward that to 110+ for players not in Mythic Antorus gear and go figure.

Plus which: Rogues get to bypass combat via stealth and everyone else can tank and/or heal leaving Warlocks, Hunters, Mages out in the cold.

Leveling without heirlooms is your own fault. Play arcane
Lack of haste, and most spells being casts rather than hard casts makes the ranged classes very slow to play. Even if they're good damage, they're just slow to play, and not very engaging.

Also mobs have tons of interrupts and stuns, knock backs etc that are much easier to deal with as melee vs ranged.
The game feels like it was meant for melee at this point.

No need to kite for melee, no channels to be interrupted, and you’re already in range to loot.

It’s just been getting tougher for ranger since Legion, and I’m not really sure why.