What's the deal with Tank threat?

General Discussion
Is there a fundamental change in playstyle Blizzard wants to force here?

Are we supposed to go back to waiting 5 seconds before beginning to DPS so the tank can get solid aggro?

Are we supposed to throw all of our abilities into assist macros to avoid pulling aggro on a cleave pull?

Are tanks supposed to cycle through mobs with their direct hit abilities instead of cleaving normally?

Are any of those the intended response to the current state of tank threat? Or did they just get hit slightly too hard with the nerfbat and a hotfix is in order to bump threat by +50% (additive)?

Regardless of how people think the current state of things should be dealt with, I'm curious if it's honestly working as intended or not.
From what I heard, tank threat was reduced from 500% to 300%, which means tanks can no longer tap a mob on the shoulder and it will get triggered and stay on them for a good 10 minutes. It doesn't mean you can't tank anymore though. It just means you can very easily see who can actually tank, and who can't.
DPS are not supposed to mindlessly spam their rotation while staring at DPS charts. It's the DPS job to manage their own threat levels. That's not new, everyone was just so OP for so long people have forgotten how to play their role. DPS actually involves work. Also, remember to target what the tank is targeting.

Tanks are not supposed to cycle through mobs with their direct hits. That's something they can do in desperation to lessen the effect of trash DPS.

It's a learn to play issue. It is working as intended, but threat gen could be a little higher, likely to be tweaked.
These changes were intended and as a tank who has full cleared all mythic dungeons already it aint that bad we just need to pay attention just a little bit more now and DPS need to focus the tanks focus
They want tanks to hold threat on everything while taking away all the tools they need to do so because they think that will make people want to play tanks and alleviate the hour long dungeon queues.
08/17/2018 02:05 AMPosted by Huggablysoft
They want tanks to hold threat on everything while taking away all the tools they need to do so because they think that will make people want to play tanks and alleviate the hour long dungeon queues.

Tanks can hold onto aggro with their current tools if you cant then maybe look at your rotation and how to make it more efficient (assuming DPS arent pulling/targeting the wrong mob)
08/17/2018 02:04 AMPosted by Angharradh
That's not new, everyone was just so OP for so long people have forgotten how to play their role.

Mostly this is what I'm wondering.

From at least Cata thru Legion, threat was a non issue. Particularly in AoE pulls you could just do your cleave/AoE and the tank would keep the threat regardless of your target.

Going back on that after 8+ years seems a bit major and while I'm sure there was intent to make threat a bit more relevant, I'm not sure it landed where they wanted.

I feel like there's a difference between "blood boil generates all the aggro and holds it for 3 minutes on its own" and "cleaving off target B instead of target C results in pulling aggro even if the tank is playing well."
It's not a nerf to tanks, it's actually a nerf to DPS. DPS can no longer turn their brains off and just wait for the healer and tank to finish the dungeon for them, while they spam rotation without a single thought.

Next they should add more punishing 'standing in fire' mechanics, that take much longer to do damage but do more of it.
Don't really have a problem with threat.

Boy are they in for a surprise!

I've noticed it also affects pet growl and misdirection, fun times. Fun times.
Legion tanking was like this :

1. Engage mob
2. Drops aoe
3. Alt tab and open Forum Moderator Note: Removed
4. ????
5. Move on to next mob
08/17/2018 02:07 AMPosted by Alìcìa

Tanks can hold onto aggro with their current tools if you cant then maybe look at your rotation and how to make it more efficient (assuming DPS arent pulling/targeting the wrong mob)

You look at your rotation and I'll mind mine.

Oh look, you're an FOTM tank class, and I don't have the tools to deal with people like you who are out to troll dungeons, because I lost my offensive cd, had my self-heals nerfed and now have no slow.

Go away.

1. Engage mob
2. Drops aoe
3. Alt tab and open [removed]
4. ????
5. Move on to next mob

Oh, gee. That sounds a lot like ret rotation.
Is it in the normal dungeon? I only done normal since I’m still leveling. And tanks seem to have problems holding aggro.

I think it’s the scaling problem. 110ish with heroic raid gear vs 120 with not even heroic dungeon gear. And fresh 120 doesn’t get anything special either. No max level talent. No relic slot. They were just 119 with 1 more level.
08/17/2018 02:01 AMPosted by Vaenaru
Are we supposed to go back to waiting 5 seconds before beginning to DPS so the tank can get solid aggro?

That's not how it works. If your tank can't hold threat immediately on a normal pack of 3 to 5 then your tank needs some guidance.

Are tanks supposed to cycle through mobs with their direct hit abilities instead of cleaving normally?

Again, you can totally cleave normally.

Regardless of how people think the current state of things should be dealt with, I'm curious if it's honestly working as intended or not.

From a tank: Tanking is way more fun now. My utility is useful outside of high M+ and I feel as active as I do playing dps-- which was always my problem with tanking. Getting bored.

The reason this change was implemented was to calm down tanks like me lightly tapping a whole group then infernal striking 60 yards away and not losing aggro. This change ONLY means I can't pull 20 mobs and keep aggro right away.

It also makes DPS and Healer utility more valuable-- now dps can CC and slow and all that good stuff outside of high level M+.

But to reiterate: If your tank knows how to tank then normal pulls on any available difficulty are just fine. There is no threat issue.
08/17/2018 02:07 AMPosted by Alìcìa
(assuming DPS arent pulling/targeting the wrong mob)

Hahaha good one!

. . .

Oh wait, you were serious?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You look at your rotation and I'll mind mine.

Oh look, you're an FOTM tank class, and I don't have the tools to deal with people like you who are out to troll dungeons, because I lost my offensive cd, had my self-heals nerfed and now have no slow.

Go away.

1. Engage mob
2. Drops aoe
4. ????
5. Move on to next mob

Oh, gee. That sounds a lot like ret rotation.

By no means are DH a FOTM tank class right now we are actually pretty bad with only 1 defensive CD and active mit that isnt too active with our current haste levels but hey we can make it work. FOTM tank class atm is BM Monk/Blood DK

Also i only run dungeons with my guild/friends so i dont go trolling groups its a waste of my time.
Oh look, you're an FOTM tank class

*looks, sees the poster is DH*

Wait, are DH the best now? What did I miss?
I don't mind if they nerfed threat a little bit, maybe back to MOP levels but this is way worse than that. I'm furiously spamming keys, applying interrupts, using my stun and managing my mitigation, all the while learning the new dungeons, figuring out which abilities are going to be mandatory to kick for when we start running mythic dungeons. I am not being lazy, threat is a challenge, and frankly is just not fun. This only hurts lower end tanks. the skill floor did not need to be raised for the spec that causes the most wait in early dungeon grinds.

1. Engage mob
2. Drops aoe
4. ????
5. Move on to next mob

not just legion tho like threat hasn't been a thing sense BC even than they patch it in middle of expansion no one had to worry about threat really.
08/17/2018 02:36 AMPosted by Ericadin
I don't mind if they nerfed threat a little bit, maybe back to MOP levels but this is way worse than that. I'm furiously spamming keys, applying interrupts, using my stun and managing my mitigation, all the while learning the new dungeons, figuring out which abilities are going to be mandatory to kick for when we start running mythic dungeons. I am not being lazy, threat is a challenge, and frankly is just not fun. This only hurts lower end tanks. the skill floor did not need to be raised for the spec that causes the most wait in early dungeon grinds.

If you pull one pack at a time (generally) you really shouldn't be having problems. Like none. 99% of packs are like 3 to 5 guys.

If you like we can run a dungeon together sometime and maybe figure it out.