What if WoW had a Karma system?

General Discussion
Hear me out here.

What if we had a way to recommend/rate other players ingame?
Some kind of point system where you could have rewards based on good behavior and skilled gameplay.

There would be no way to give someone a bad rating, that way the system wouldn't be abused.

Say you run a PUG and the tank was exceptionally skilled, or the frost mage was extremely helpful and knowledgable about boss encounters....etc

It would be great to be able to have some kind of system where we could show our gratitude to other players, and for these types of players to be rewarded.
When I say reward, I don't mean sweet loot or anything with an unfair game breaking advantage. I more or less mean fun little "flair" type things for your character.

For example, say 50 people gave you a good rating for being an excellent healer, your nameplate gets a special banner around it or you'd get a special title or tabard to wear. Or even a symbol next to your name that when hovered over by other players would say something indicating your peers recommend you for heals.

I don't know, just something I was thinking about. I know the silence feature is kind of broken, and there's a lot WoW is trying to do to discourage BAD behavior, but what if we rewarded good behavior instead -- that might make people try a little harder in pugs, helping people in town, helping new players....etc
Too much room for abuse. Blizzard took away something as simple as a down vote simply because people abused it and used it not as it was intended. What do you think people would do with the system you proposed?
too easy to game the system
I don't think its a bad idea if implemented properly. However, the problem (accountability) would be solved if they took away CRZ and sharding. Accountability is enforced when you interact with the same players from your realm only. Just my thoughts!
08/22/2018 08:46 AMPosted by Valdrane
Too much room for abuse. Blizzard took away something as simply as a down vote simply because people abused it and used it not as it was intended. What do you think people would do with the system you proposed?

08/22/2018 08:47 AMPosted by Grassybay

How can you abuse a system that only gives imaginary upvotes?
I would be loved even more than I am now.

floats off into the sea
It was nice in FFXIV. But, I noticed over time that upvoted typically were only ever given to the tank or healer. Took me awhile to realize that bc I often play healers.
08/22/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Enikka
It was nice in FFXIV. But, I noticed over time that upvoted typically were only ever given to the tank or healer. Took me awhile to realize that bc I often play healers.

Speaking from FFXIV experience as well, there's usually an unspoken agreement that the tank and healer comm each other, and the dps comm each other so everybody gets one.

With WoW's odd number of party members, though, yeah, someone will get left out.

Either way, I don't see what the benefit would be even if the system wasn't abused.

So this paladin has more facebook likes than this other one. Am I, as a DPS with a 2 hour dungeon queue, really gonna be choosy on who tanks/heals for me?
That dont work really because people cant be really honest when being anonymous at the same time. Not to mention the fact that bias happens. Its never a good idea to put the henhouse in the care of the foxes. People cant be trusted on the whole, individuals may be helpful and honest, but as a mass the human race is not.

The problem here is blizzard is not policing their own game, and putting it on the playerbase. Which is the wrong thing to do, automation is great for an assembly line.

As for karma you will just have cliques that praise each other and boo anyone else.
Works in FFXIV. I'd be down for it.
08/22/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Nerfiryx
Works in FFXIV. I'd be down for it.

That game has a very dif type of playerbase. It works there because the people that play are not spiteful and hateful on the whole.
I was thinking the other day that I wouldn't mind something akin to what Overwatch has. Basically little commendations that don't really mean much or have any impact on the game.
It will be discriminating and burdensome to new players who show up with no upvote history.

Also, people are jerks but who have been around for a while may have upvotes. You could introduce a decay system, but it is all this really necessary.

Call me old school, but I think a thank you and a good job these days far outweighs any ingame system of showing appreciation for good behavior. It's becoming a world where we cant even be bothered to say thank you these days and instead we want an in game mechanic to do that for us.
No. Absolutely not.

Even with only positive ratings, the system would still have far too much room for abuse.

08/22/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Enikka

I got upvotes reasonably often playing as a Dragoon. But yeah, it still does disproportionately go to the tank or healer.
08/22/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Tomplspayme
Too much room for abuse. Blizzard took away something as simply as a down vote simply because people abused it and used it not as it was intended. What do you think people would do with the system you proposed?

08/22/2018 08:47 AMPosted by Grassybay

How can you abuse a system that only gives imaginary upvotes?

-Must have such and such karma points to join this group-

We've already got ilvl requirements, we don't need karma requirements next.

There is ALWAYS a way to abuse a system, sometimes it's minor, sometimes major, but people always find a way.