How do I fight mages?

Battlegrounds
I'm still kinda new at demon hunter, but sheesh I can't seem to land more than 1 or 2 hits on frost mages. Its root, cc, root, root, frozen, freeze, root root root! My two dashes and 1 leap just aren't enough to keep up, and they have that shield that absorbs the tiny amount of damage I can do when I finally get to them. I have maybe enough time to cast dark slash, but I can't follow it up with anything. I can't land my eyebeams, I can't use chaos strike, nothing. Anytime I get within a mile, they've already CC'd me and blinked away!

Can anyone give me some advice? Its driving me nuts! I can't even land rain from above on them, they blink out of range!
08/17/2018 04:59 PMPosted by Fayara
Can anyone give me some advice?

Stop trying to 1v1 a mage.
08/17/2018 05:02 PMPosted by Herc
Can anyone give me some advice?

Stop trying to 1v1 a mage.

This isn't even in 1v1, this is in bgs with lots of other people around. I can't even attack mages in group settings, they always have some sort of escape. I just started to give up on even trying, but I was just in a Arathi Basin where it was myself and another demon hunter protecting gold mine, and a frost mage came down and beat us both 2v1, we just couldn't get close. I'm not an expert or anything, so I'm just looking for advice on what I should do.
Use your consume magic to remove their shields that will help some

Just as a warrior shouldn’t open with charge make sure you’re not using Fel Rush unless it’s to close gaps not initiate
Did you lose your ranged interrupt? Frost mages are a real pain but I did not think a DH would have too hard of a time.
Consume Magic their shield, keep ranged bleed up, run to LoS and force them to run at you and not the other way around. It's a start.
Trinket nova.
I'm still kinda new at demon hunter, but sheesh I can't seem to land more than 1 or 2 hits on frost mages. Its root, cc, root, root, frozen, freeze, root root root! My two dashes and 1 leap just aren't enough to keep up, and they have that shield that absorbs the tiny amount of damage I can do when I finally get to them. I have maybe enough time to cast dark slash, but I can't follow it up with anything. I can't land my eyebeams, I can't use chaos strike, nothing. Anytime I get within a mile, they've already CC'd me and blinked away!

Can anyone give me some advice? Its driving me nuts! I can't even land rain from above on them, they blink out of range!
it's called karma ...... :)
You serious? How can you NOT get to a mage? Look.
Blur burst.
Trap them while in nova if they cast.
Your interrupt is ranged.
Roots have a DR, if you're not on a mage's !@# after it wears off with 2 rushes, VR and they have to stop to cast, IDK man.
Most mages run Shimmer. Stun.
They have slows? You have slows. They have to stop to cast, you don't.
I don't even understand how you can't get to a mage honestly.
I'm still kind of new to the class okay...thanks for the help anyway...
DH should not have any problem staying on a mage... You just need to listen to Incarnus.
People above do not know what they are taking about.

If you are getting heals in a bg eventually ul catch up to the mage after all the drs on novas.

In 1v1 situation if you are facing a mage with half a brain there is no chance of you winning so don’t even bother. In fact DH is the weakest class in 1v1.
Practice conserving and timing your things with blink, you don't want to dash when they already have a blink etc. More a mind game thing to close the gap, conserve and then when they've got nothing you wreck them.
08/17/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Roran
Did you lose your ranged interrupt? Frost mages are a real pain but I did not think a DH would have too hard of a time.
They nerfed it down to a 10 yard range, so it is essentially a melee-range kick now.

08/17/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Corpseworth
keep ranged bleed up
Not a thing. They removed the ranged bleed.

08/18/2018 05:48 AMPosted by Hannahbakerr
Practice conserving and timing your things with blink, you don't want to dash when they already have a blink etc. More a mind game thing to close the gap, conserve and then when they've got nothing you wreck them.
Basically this. The most important thing to do is NOT to panic. They root, just wait for it to drop. They throw out big blue orb, then use Blur. Use Vengeful Retreat and Fel Rush only to gap close.

Also, I personally wait till after the roots are DR'd to use my meta. He WILL try to Polymorph you, so you'll have to have a kick up for it by that time. Imprison or stun his second and third attempt, and by that point he should be dead.
Also, if you're not using Master of the Glaive or Fel Rush you are going to have major issues keeping connected to them in general.
I like this guy he asked for help instead of "nerf mages because I cant 1 shot them" he got some help along with the usual snarky trolls
@Mavrel

Oh snap
u dont they have too much cc it's garbage
08/17/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Corpseworth
Consume Magic their shield, keep ranged bleed up, run to LoS and force them to run at you and not the other way around. It's a start.

"ranged bleed"

yeah that would be nice
08/17/2018 10:12 PMPosted by Incarnus
You serious? How can you NOT get to a mage? Look.
Blur burst.
Trap them while in nova if they cast.
Your interrupt is ranged.
Roots have a DR, if you're not on a mage's !@# after it wears off with 2 rushes, VR and they have to stop to cast, IDK man.
Most mages run Shimmer. Stun.
They have slows? You have slows. They have to stop to cast, you don't.
I don't even understand how you can't get to a mage honestly.

Easier said than done. A good mage wil still be able to counter a demon hunter especially with the snare and root talents now.