BFA broke WoW on Mac

Mac Technical Support
I have a Macbook Pro 2015

Went from playing at 3 setting and 1680x resolution with 50-60 average fps in Legion

To 1 setting at 1280x resolution and 30 average fps in BFA

I literally can't play this game anymore in a tolerable setting because you idiots broke it for mac users and refuse to communicate

The fullscreen change has to be the dumbest thing you guys have ever done.
08/29/2018 06:03 AMPosted by Rugsley
I literally can't

I LITERALLY CAN'T EVEN!

They did communicate; it's gone, and not coming back.

Now, to your issue. What settings are you running with right now (in detail, including render scale)?
Losing Exclusive Fullscreen does not cause such a dramatic performance loss, so something else has changed.
08/29/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Incaely
I literally can't

I LITERALLY CAN'T EVEN!

Now, to your issue. What settings are you running with right now (in detail, including render scale)?
Losing Exclusive Fullscreen does not cause such a dramatic performance loss, so something else has changed.

1280x720 on 1 setting if you read my post.

So everything on the lowest possible settings or disabled if that option exists.

Yet weirdly it did cause such a dramatic performance loss. Dumb, pointless decision to exclude it from macs and now I can't really play because of it.

Just a reminder, but there are other things affected by loss of exclusive fullscreen other than just performance changes and resolution. Enough so that I physically can't play the game anymore control-wise.

Such fun having six months of your remaining sub wasted away like this and being relegated to only being able to do tech support...
08/29/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Tiapriestess

Just a reminder, but there are other things affected by loss of exclusive fullscreen other than just performance changes and resolution. Enough so that I physically can't play the game anymore control-wise.

Such fun having six months of your remaining sub wasted away like this and being relegated to only being able to do tech support...

Except this post isn’t about any of them, it’s specifically about performance.

08/29/2018 06:53 AMPosted by Rugsley
<span class="truncated">...</span>
I LITERALLY CAN'T EVEN!

So everything on the lowest possible settings or disabled if that option exists.

Yet weirdly it did cause such a dramatic performance loss. Dumb, pointless decision to exclude it from macs and now I can't really play because of it.

What’s your render scale at? I guess the lowest 33%?it feel like you’re missing something when you quote a 16:9 resolution on a laptop with a 16:10 screen...

Except this post isn’t about any of them, it’s specifically about performance.

What’s your render scale at? I guess the lowest 33%?it feel like you’re missing something when you quote a 16:9 resolution on a laptop with a 16:10 screen...

Technically 1280x800.

Whatever.
08/29/2018 04:25 PMPosted by Rugsley
Whatever.

Being passive aggressive to the one person that's actually trying to help you probably isn't your best choice.

Which MacBook Pro do you have, what CPU does it have, what GPU does it have, how much RAM does it have?

I'm fully aware you do a better job of tech support than actual blizzard employees around here but I refuse to believe that there's no way to fix that issue.
08/29/2018 06:23 PMPosted by Milendella
I'm fully aware you do a better job of tech support than actual blizzard employees around here but I refuse to believe that there's no way to fix that issue.

There is: getting back fullscreen. The software doesn't hook correctly in windowed mode and the other software available for the task, despite very good customizeability, has issues with the mouse I use.

Sadly, fine motor control is not the strong point of my deformed arm, which required me to set things up very meticulously to counter that and the random spasms it has. Incidentally, the issues stemming from said deformed arm are why I can't use a mouse to control my character's aim in a first person shooter game like Unreal Tournament or Overwatch. In WoW my configuration is a combination of playstation 2 controller and mouse using the configuration I found to work for me.

So for me it isn't a performance issue. My rig can brute force through most of the framerate issues in the current WoW scenario. My body however, cannot.

Which MacBook Pro do you have, what CPU does it have, what GPU does it have, how much RAM does it have?

There's only two from that year. While it's possible he has the one with the Iris Pro GPU, I have my doubts that he saw 50-60 FPS average in Legion on that IGP, leaving the other MBP the likely candidate. Of course only he can tell us for sure.
08/29/2018 09:51 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
So for me it isn't a performance issue. My rig can brute force through most of the framerate issues in the current WoW scenario. My body however, cannot.

That makes sense. My condolences.

08/29/2018 09:51 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
There's only two from that year. While it's possible he has the one with the Iris Pro GPU, I have my doubts that he saw 50-60 FPS average in Legion on that IGP, leaving the other MBP the likely candidate. Of course only he can tell us for sure.

This is true, people do exaggerate FPS numbers a bit sometimes though... :P
For those having a similar issue.

I installed windows 10 with boot camp and my fps seems to be back to normal playing through that OS.

Went from playing at 3 setting and 1680x resolution with 50-60 average fps in Legion

I literally can't play this game anymore in a tolerable setting because you idiots broke it for mac users and refuse to communicate

but I thought macs "just work"

XD
09/01/2018 02:04 AMPosted by Mortekai
XD
08/29/2018 06:23 PMPosted by Milendella

There is: getting back fullscreen. The software doesn't hook correctly in windowed mode and the other software available for the task, despite very good customizeability, has issues with the mouse I use.

Sadly, fine motor control is not the strong point of my deformed arm, which required me to set things up very meticulously to counter that and the random spasms it has. Incidentally, the issues stemming from said deformed arm are why I can't use a mouse to control my character's aim in a first person shooter game like Unreal Tournament or Overwatch. In WoW my configuration is a combination of playstation 2 controller and mouse using the configuration I found to work for me.

Hey

Yeah, I have a mid-2015 MacBook Pro and I can still run in ~5 setting with shadows and particle density turned to low (as I find they cause the most drop in FPS).

There’s a new setting in advanced which allows you to select what graphics card to use, as well as an auto detect option. I wonder if his is set different.
09/01/2018 02:04 AMPosted by Mortekai

but I thought macs "just work"

XD

Like any computer, Macs work as well as the person using them.

GIGO
I now play in window mode not window fullscreen. I got it to cover most of the screen but since doing that my fps went up big time. I'm holding 60fps in 5 mans now.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
40 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
09/02/2018 08:48 PMPosted by Megashamxl
I now play in window mode not window fullscreen. I got it to cover most of the screen but since doing that my fps went up big time. I'm holding 60fps in 5 mans now.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
40 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

I also experience this. I did testing and wrote up a nice report, but it keeps getting caught in the forum spam filter (which is absolutely idiotic).

Can you please test something for me. Open up Activity Monitor.app, click the 'Window' menu, then click 'GPU History' (it doesn't matter which one you select, so long as its the second, third, or fourth. Now, open up WoW in Windowed Fullscreen and tell me whether your performance is still bad.
09/03/2018 05:31 AMPosted by Incaely
Can you please test something for me. Open up Activity Monitor.app, click the 'Window' menu, then click 'GPU History' (it doesn't matter which one you select, so long as its the second, third, or fourth. Now, open up WoW in Windowed Fullscreen and tell me whether your performance is still bad.

Asking for this test implies that you suspect windowed fullscreen isn't utilizing the GPU properly, as what you asked him to do is akin to the CUDA-Z/GPU-Z trick to "force" the GPU into a higher power state.

I take it you believe that for some reason WoW isn't properly forcing higher power/usage states in windowed fullscreen?
Something of the sort, yes, although I do think there is an element of triple buffering not working as it should as well, as demonstrated with frame rates tanking to 30.
09/03/2018 09:02 AMPosted by Incaely
Something of the sort, yes, although I do think there is an element of triple buffering not working as it should as well, as demonstrated with frame rates tanking to 30.

Does triple buffering only work with v-sync turned on? In my experience having v-sync enabled alone makes the FPS absolutely tank.