Someone has accidently sent you 5 million gold. Give it back or keep it?

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 24 Next
I'd see who sent it and if they were rich I'd keep it.
I would send it back... 100% of the time
In game give it back.

IRL tell nobody
"What 5 million gold? I don't remember that" ~ While riding the auction mount
08/10/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Onoswun
I would send it right back. I know it's not mine.
Keep it - its not like this is IRL money we are talking about and the IRS aint gonna get ya.
Lets be honest.. we'd all keep it.
I'd keep half. I guess I'm a horrible person. /shrug.

This actually sort of happened to me though. In cata I bought a bunch of stuff for one silver on the ah when it was worth about 10k added up. The seller mailed me asking for the items back. I had already resold them but I sent him half of what I made. My good deed for the xpac.
give it back of course.
and if they don't send me an mail asking for the money back i will send them one asking if it was an mistake.

In fact it happened once.. it was 800k ...

i wrote that guy and he was like "omg.. yes that money was for a friend, mind sending it back?"

so i did... a day later i had 300k in my mail from the same guy as a "thank you" ..that did put a smile on my face :)
08/10/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Alureth
08/10/2018 05:47 PMPosted by Whitecrow
If they sent it to you by mistake they probably don't even know you have it.
Maybe it's just me, but I'd definitely notice if 5 mil got lost in transit between two of my characters.

Yeah, but if they spelled the recipients name incorrectly, failed to double check it, and even blindly ignored the prompt the game gives you when mailing.

Chances are they have no idea who they mailed.
They will likely notice the gold is gone. They will not likely know where they put it.
The right thing would be to return it; if possible. However that is the amount of a new Brutosaur; morally grey.
send it back
I'd send it back.

If I got 5 million dollars in the mail IRL, different story.
08/10/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Çryptø
Lets suppose one day you get a large sum of money sent from someone on your server to the tune of 5 million. Although with a message sent briefly after that begging you to return the gold because that someone was planning to buy a mythic carry using that gold. Would you keep the gold or send at least some of it back?
I would send every single copper back, probably before I even got the message asking for it.

Not mine. Not keepin' it.

5 mil in my mail from someone I don't know? I'm not even taking it out. Just hit the return button.
I'd buy the AH mount.
Return it. I don't have any use for that much gold. Even if you didn't return it, if they sent it to you by mistake, GMs would fix the mistake and return it for you anyways.
Lets suppose one day you get a large sum of money sent from someone on your server to the tune of 5 million. Although with a message sent briefly after that begging you to return the gold because that someone was planning to buy a mythic carry using that gold. Would you keep the gold or send at least some of it back?

Send all of it back immediately. Do not keep a cent.
I'd return it immediately even without seeing the other message, but I'd be kicking myself for years over that too. lol
08/10/2018 07:22 PMPosted by Viharis

I wouldn’t. That bothers me. My sense of right and wrong is greater than in-game benefit. I would feel bad for someone who was expecting that coin.
Posted by Viharis

I am honest. Thats why I would never keep it.