Someone has accidently sent you 5 million gold. Give it back or keep it?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 24 Next
Give it back. Someone did that for me when I made that mistake once.
Send it back. Farming gold is my excuse to watch Netflix
It's a game. Game happened in game. Who cares.
08/10/2018 04:49 PMPosted by Lapdcop
08/10/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Çryptø
Lets suppose one day you get a large sum of money sent from someone on your server to the tune of 5 million. Although with a message sent briefly after that begging you to return the gold because that someone was planning to buy a mythic carry using that gold. Would you keep the gold or send at least some of it back?

If they took the time to type my name, the amount, then click the final warning notification I am under no obligations to send the gold back. However they can't action against me if I let the gold take the 30 day mail expire lmao
that is just plain evil, lol.
Keep it then spend it on the AH mount in BFA
if it's game money i'll send it back. if it's real money then i'll have a new identity & never be heard from ever again.
Keep it.

No shame.
08/10/2018 04:36 PMPosted by Scruit
i probly wouldnt even notice, i'd hit 'open all' and some time later i'd be all "Wait... when did i become so rich!?"
Yep, that is me too, Scruit.
Take the gold and find a way to spend it all as fast as possible for the most fun wow party ever. Gold means nothing to me, but smiles last forever.
A guy from my server was kicked from a raid so I sent him a few thousand gold in the mail. I left no message so he was happy hopefully. But 5 million is extreme.
Look, these moral questions are pointless in game. If you were really moral, and not just pretending, you would spend your sub. on the poor, and your game time helping your community. This is why I have argued that Christians don't play WOW.
08/10/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Çryptø
Lets suppose one day you get a large sum of money sent from someone on your server to the tune of 5 million. Although with a message sent briefly after that begging you to return the gold because that someone was planning to buy a mythic carry using that gold. Would you keep the gold or send at least some of it back?

I would send it all back, to me even if you kept some it wasn't meant for you and that is the same as stealing. It would be like if you received a package in the mail by mistake that was meant for someone else and you keep it. IMHO that is stealing.
Hmmm there is a confirmation before sending to a toon not on your account, in guild/friends list, so they were pretty careless.

Maybe it's an opportunity for me to teach them a life lesson to be careful?
Maybe I give it back?

I think I sit on it and see if they turn into a dbag about it if I don't respond quickly because that would make me feel better about keeping it. Bwahaha!

Meh if they sounded upset I'd probably send it back, even though right now that would be $375 on my Bnet balance well spent...
If someone was so kind enough to donate 5 million to the Church of Kezan. I can tell you, they'd never ever be seeing it again, but I sure as hell will ^^
It's your own personal integrity in question. Yes, it's just game gold but you know it's not yours, you didn't earn it.

If you don't return it, you could be "blacklisted" on your realm - the victim has the right to smear your name all over. Not that e-rep is important anymore but having a Bad e-rep can last forever. He could complain to your guild leader and that could hurt your raiding position (if you're even in a good guild).

That you even made this thread means you're not a complete bastidge and you're worried about consequences to being a thief in-game. You're not some hardass cold hearted douche - you wouldn't even care. Cuz that's what this is - stealing.

If this happened to your real life bank account and you spent it, you'll go to jail for felony grand theft.

So how does your conscience feel?

08/10/2018 05:15 PMPosted by Rekinthemost
even though right now that would be $375 on my Bnet balance well spent...

At that point, Blizzard may step in and/or the victim could report you to the police since real money is involved.
guess who isn't paying money for his sub for the next two years
Send back 4mil, keep 1mil as a surcharge.
Once upon a time ago, when I was but a weeee little mage around the age of 5, in a land far, far, away, I received a missive through the carrier that read, "Congratulations! I'm deleting this toon & you were the first low level toon I spotted. Enjoy!" Enclosed was 35 gold some silver and a few copper. Back then --when we had to walk up hill both ways -- 35 gold was an enormous amount to a new mage just fresh out of infancy. I twaddled off an extremely grateful & happy little mage.

For sure, I would return the 5 mill gold. What goes around comes around.
08/10/2018 04:55 PMPosted by Alion
Mistakes can easily happen when mailing. I quadruple check where I am sending mail for this very reason. So I would give it back and carry on. Now if they sent it again I would assume they wanted me to have it lol.

Actually Blizzard will not reverse mail errors once the mail is opened and claimed. At that point, according to their policies, the gold isn't yours anymore, its theirs.

If you accidently send it to someone and open a ticket, they CAN reverse it if the person hasn't opened the mail yet, "ie you sent it to an inactive toon." But that's the limit.