Someone has accidently sent you 5 million gold. Give it back or keep it?

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 24 Next
if guild member then id send it back, if stranger then id send half of it back, his/her fault but it would at least leave them with enough to easily build back up and it would serve as a lesson.
Well return it but even if you don't once person reports it, Blizzard will make you return it. It happened to me one time, I was trying to send to an alt and I misspelled the name and I asked the person to return it cuz I realized just as I hit sent and they refused so I opened a ticket and got my gold and materials back XD
I'd give it all back. It's just pretend money.
Send it back my parents raised me right.
Send it back if they promise to buy something other than a Mythic carry with it; the Brutosaur mount, game time, shop mounts, a combination of game time and the spider mount, etc.

If they didn't... meh, I'd probably end up sending it all back so I could sleep with myself at night. But I want to say I'd buy Shu-Zen and the Warforged Nightmare as the "idiot tax", then send the rest back.
New char. Who dis?
First buy the spider and the brontosaurus mount in a week and then send the rest back with a few lines of gratitude.
If they sent it to you by mistake they probably don't even know you have it.

Keep it. No downside.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, In Beta I had so much gold I had to get rid of it, so I picked random people in Stormwind and sent them all 2 million gold and told them I had too much gold and it was a gift. Out of the 10 people I sent gold to only 1 sent back a reply thanking me. One, I wasn't expecting any gratitude, but sadly what has come to people even in a game who cant say Thank you?
I've played a long time and I'm sure that I have sent things to a wrong character at some point - did I get my stuff back? Yes. I'd definitely send all of it back to the person that sent it to me.
Seeing as how so many are tripping over their halo's in here, I'll just leave this bag of spiffy new Gnomish polishing coths for everyone to enjoy.

Y'all shine those suckers up nice and pretty now!
08/10/2018 05:47 PMPosted by Whitecrow
If they sent it to you by mistake they probably don't even know you have it.
Maybe it's just me, but I'd definitely notice if 5 mil got lost in transit between two of my characters.
08/10/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Monsters
90% of people here are saying they would send it back. My guess is you would actually see that gold again as the sender ~20% of the time.

I, too, am going to say I would send it back because I did just that in Cataclysm to the tune of 750,000g. I could have used that gold at the time but I was unwilling to throw away my integrity over online currency. If you steal (yes, it is stealing and we all know it) you SHOULD have such a heavy burden of remorse that you wouldn’t be able to enjoy it while some guy worked his tail off to watch you reap the rewards.

How would you feel if you were him? Guy might have had a death in the family or got fired from his job and his head isn’t in the game but he is trying to escape reality for a while. You could be a hero to someone, now you are just a thief at a time when that was the last thing he needed.

It's harder than you think

I get no less than 5 messages a day that are like "Hi, I accidentally sent you 5 million gold exactly, can you please return it?"

If someone did actually send me 5 million gold I would have no idea which person was the real one and which were the scammers.
I didn't read all the replies, but OP, I would obviously return it immediately.
It wasn't mine to begin with. What kind of low-life would I have to be to consider keeping it?
That's a lot of game time and farming hours that I wouldn't have to invest. I'd be keeping it.
Someone has accidently sent you 5 million gold. Give it back or keep it?

Swap to an alt on the opposite faction, locate the individual, and corpse camp them until they rage-log. Each kill should be followed by as much t-bagging, flag planting, and /rofl as is humanly possible in the time you have before they release.
08/10/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Skeeks
That's a lot of game time and farming hours that I wouldn't have to invest. I'd be keeping it.
Curious. Are you really this awful, or just saying that for the lulz?
I mean, would you really keep something that wasn't yours and you didn't earn if the original owner who did work for it, wants it back?
08/10/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Eilla
08/10/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Skeeks
Curious. Are you really this awful, or just saying that for the lulz?
I mean, would you really keep something that wasn't yours and you didn't earn if the original owner who did work for it, wants it back?

Yep, I would keep it. This is the internet, my morals go out the window. Like I said, that's a lot of game time I wouldn't have to pay for and a lot less time I would have to invest farming and more time doing stuff I actually enjoy in-game.
What gold?
Send it back. That would be the right thing to do.