So who really finds humans interesting?

General Discussion
I like humans. I also like Elves. I play both. I find both interesting. It's sad that because it's a fantasy game that playing a human is some kind of terrible sin and you're unimaginative.
The only good reason to play a Human in this game is because two handers look freaking amazing on Female Humans.
08/26/2018 07:54 PMPosted by Saryaan
I like humans. I also like Elves. I play both. I find both interesting. It's sad that because it's a fantasy game that playing a human is some kind of terrible sin and you're unimaginative.

terrible and unimaginative to play a human? Not really. But, playing exclusively humans when you have this buffet of visually interesting races to choose from? I can't wrap my head around it. In fact, I find most of the races TOO human. Although, I do admit anything less than "sorta human" would have some gear and animation issues.
08/26/2018 07:22 PMPosted by Garrondorf
What would you suggest?

Should we take a page from the nelves and try the life of kindling out for a while?

Anyway, me personally, I play a human for this sweet mustache I'm sporting.

not sure that they have in mind but a redo.

Like Panda's....pick a side. Kills 2 birds with one stone here...now horde has a race option with rep boost.

Or a straight uphuman type horde aligned.

Basically lets have some humans go you know....Anduin has no balls and is boring AF, lets spice it up horde side. Not unlike say elves. Are a you chill type, Night elf. Want to be an elf with an attitude, Blood elf.

A "race" of mercs, dissidents, what have you. Options would be nice is all
OP hates himself and seeks only to spread misery to other players.
Umm.. The Overweight ones I do....
08/26/2018 07:22 PMPosted by Garrondorf

Anyway, me personally, I play a human for this sweet mustache I'm sporting.

I don't like playing human, but this is the best damned argument for playing one i have ever seen.
08/26/2018 07:18 PMPosted by Khelehk
Anyway, my question is... do you REALLY find the humans - NPCs, story, focus on humans - interesting?

King Thoradin.

Anduin Lothar.

Danath Trollbane.

Turalyon.

Aedalas Blackmoore.

Daelin Proudmoore.

Lord Garithos.

Sure. I find them interesting, especially the second guy.

There are so many other fantasy settings and games where the humans have interesting characters and cultures.

I don't get this criticism. Have you even read the lore?
08/26/2018 07:41 PMPosted by Caelin
While I don't mind the current BFA story line focusing upon the Kul Tirans, as they are the key new allied faction and pretty much the focal point of the expansion for the Alliance. It would be nice if they revisited the NE and Gilnean story at some point and show them moving on from the street corners of SW. There are plenty of uninhabited lands they can occupy or even move back into Gilneas as the area is mostly blight cleared and we know how to remove the remaining. The city is intact and there is plenty of room for what is left of both races at this point.

Lorewise Gilneas is already occupied by gilneans again. I don't know why blizzard hasn't expanded on this.
i dont mind humans, my main is a human. i find it funny that people still refer to this as a fantasy game, since it has long crossed over to the realm of science fiction with the alien worlds, spaceships, alternate realities, machines etc....

the only races i truly loathe are goblins and dwarves
08/26/2018 07:58 PMPosted by Whisper
terrible and unimaginative to play a human? Not really. But, playing exclusively humans when you have this buffet of visually interesting races to choose from? I can't wrap my head around it. In fact, I find most of the races TOO human. Although, I do admit anything less than "sorta human" would have some gear and animation issues.

Because some people just don't like playing non-humans. They find them ugly or hate their animations. I don't like playing Taurens or male orcs myself.
The only way you can get people to play non-humans is if they have more "Human" Than "Non" and/or they are pretty/cute i.e. Au ra, Miqo'te, Lalafells from FFXIV or Pandaren or elves here.

You can't force someone to play "Monster" races simply because they may be more interesting. I could spend my entire WoW career happily playing humans if I had to.

Besides it's more interesting to view the world from the eyes of a human, who is fairly ordinary in a world of fantasy. I would love to experience a fantasy world as a human because everything is new and interesting. And sure I might not see everything in my short lifespan but what I do see would stick with me forever.
Let's be real. The Alliance is more like Stormwind and its Vassal States. It goes beyond the Alliance, though. In every expac, a human is central to the story, regardless of theme. Be it Varian, Khadgar, Jaina, Anduin, random human NPC, etc.

Heck Blizzard even manages to insert humans where it makes absolutely 0 sense. See: Bradensbrook. Just garbage lore.

Anyway, my question is... do you REALLY find the humans - NPCs, story, focus on humans - interesting? There are so many other fantasy settings and games where the humans have interesting characters and cultures.

So why - in this setting of interesting, varied races - does Blizzard choose to focus on dull-as-dishwater humans? Who finds them and their boring white knight aesthetic appealing?

Humans in WoW have potential, but they don't use it.
Play up the fact that they're war constructs made by the titans.
Have their leaders internally struggle with the fact that they might actually like having the horde to fight.
Have them honestly be elf rivaling mages because they're literally made out of an arcane-light cocktail
And honestly, Kul Tiras is everything humans can be in WoW in terms of entertaining/interesting. And that's because Kul Tiras has character that "Stormwind" sort of lacks.
08/26/2018 07:54 PMPosted by Saryaan

If I like being human, why would i bother trying something else?
Especially if my idea of fantasy is better served with self-insertion?
My only non human-male characters are my fem nelf druid and demon hunter, and my fem draenei shaman, and they are only female becuase the male models are terrible (/opinion), and only non-human for lack of that class option.

And I'd have only a single character if I could play all classes with it.
Let's be real. The Alliance is more like Stormwind and its Vassal States.

Well to be fair, the Horde is Silvermoon and its vassal states. It's even led by an undead Blood Elf now!
08/26/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Ashania

If I like being human, why would i bother trying something else?
Especially if my idea of fantasy is better served with self-insertion?
My only non human-male characters are my fem nelf druid and demon hunter, and my fem draenei shaman, and they are only female becuase the male models are terrible (/opinion), and only non-human for lack of that class option.

And I'd have only a single character if I could play all classes with it.

Self insertion would be a big reason. I know there have been studies that show most people who play rpgs consider that to be very important in how they enjoy the game. I used to be a big roleplayer so I guess my huge disconnect between me, the player, and my character just doesn't consider seeing myself in my toon.

I love playing something exotic and otherworldly. I just don't get that from standard humans or blood elves. Void elves pierce the threshold for me.
08/26/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Aellom
Let's be real. The Alliance is more like Stormwind and its Vassal States.

Well to be fair, the Horde is Silvermoon and its vassal states. It's even led by an undead Blood Elf now!

Undead high elf. Blood elves didn't exist when she died.
The problem I find is that Humans are gaining a near monopoly on recent expansions to the point where stuff just doesn't make sense.

I.e.
* 10,000+ year old Elves listening in awe to some teenage kid.
* 10,000+ year old Lightforged Draenei allowing a human to lead them, and through some weird slip of time garbage can live 1000 years...
* Most powerful Mages are human, as if more ancient races are suddenly incompetent at handling magic and so much for Gnomes expansive minds;
If anything Gnomes should be the ones leading in Magic over humans not the other way around.
* All non-human races on the Alliance cannot survive without humans for...reasons.
08/26/2018 09:30 PMPosted by Dreadmoon
10,000+ year old Elves listening in awe to some teenage kid.
* 10,000+ year old Lightforged Draenei allowing a human to lead them, and through some weird slip of time garbage can live 1000 years...

age does not equal wisdom or power. Someone could live for 10k years and still be pretty ignorant about the world. Who is listening in awe? or are you just stringing words together. If the long-lived races had a problem with Anduin they would have brought it up. They don't.
I don't get it, so no one finds the story of Arthas interesting?
Every single race in this game thinks and acts just like humans do. The only thing that would make them "interesting" to you, then, is how they look. Congratulations on only finding something interesting if they look like they're wearing a Hallow's End costume.