No Alliance in War Mode

War Mode and World PvP
What is going on in Warmode. I just went to do the Tidesage WQ for Champions of Azeroth and waited for 6 respawns because between each respawn, 4-7 new horde would show up and not a single alliance player came through. Its not just that world quest, its every world quest. Rotbough is another example. Is alliance just flat out not using War Mode or is there a legit problem with the number balancing? I can't do anything in warmode because every world quest has 5 full groups of horde at any given time, while only 3-4 individual alliance are floating around. Anyone else experiencing this?
Horde outnumber Alliance > Alliance turn off warmode > sharding becomes worse because Alliance that still have warmode on get outnumbered by Horde > Alliance turn off warmode

The cycle continues. Nothing really you can do about it.
A little from Column A and a little from Column B.

Based on just looking at how things were before BFA, the Horde (across all realms combined) appeared to outnumber Alliance on PvP worlds. So that starts a basic inbalance issue.

Then... it just kind of snowballs. Horde PvEers for the most part don't have as much to worry about in Warmode. Horde numbers swell. Alliance, already not liking PvP as much, starts to dwindle because of balancing issues.

I leveled my first three to 120 under Wardmore. I got ganked a few times. I ganked a few times. All seemed fine. When I got to leveling my fourth, first quest hub I went to had four Horde rogues camping it. Left that area and went to another starting area and it was pretty much the same. Quit for the night (it was three am) and when I came back the next day, I hardly saw any other Alliance and there were Horde swarming everywhere.

Turned off Warmode. And it was like night and day difference. Under warmode, I barely saw Alliance. Warmode off was swarming with Alliance.

Alliance, for whatever reason (and there are a lot of different reasons) seem to have for the most part Warmode off, which just makes it all the worse for those who do.

In general, I run Warmode off now. Except for the times I join up with a group to go Horde hunting and then I turn it back on. At that point, I go in a group and I meet Horde groups and it is relatively balanced at that point. Running alone (in my experience) just results in me getting nothing done.

In the end, this is a game. Getting nothing done (for me) isn't fun.
you forgot the part where the few that are dedicated to pvp reroll horde or transfer to an ally dominant group of servers.
08/30/2018 10:52 AMPosted by Xzavior
Horde outnumber Alliance > Alliance turn off warmode > sharding becomes worse because Alliance that still have warmode on get outnumbered by Horde > Alliance turn off warmode

Yep. This is going to continue to happen until there is incentive for the least represented faction to turn on warmode. Until then this is going to be how it is. Brutal game design by brutal game designers.

Oh well...
08/30/2018 10:52 AMPosted by Xzavior

yup.

Result is pretty much all horde have it on and all Alliance have it off. All warmode has done is force a virtually complete separation of the playerbase so that the 2 factions can't even see each other in the world anymore. Horde play in a world devoid of Alliance. Alliance play in a parallel world devoid of Horde.

Blizz failed to account for mass psychology when they implemented warmode. What started as a significant, but not overwhelming, advantage in horde favor has snowballed into something unstoppable and completely broken.

Warmode is a failed feature. I think things have gone so far that the problem is now unfixable.

I expect Blizzard will just write off Warmode as something they tried but didn't work and next expansion we'll see the return of PVE and PVP servers.
I expect Blizzard will just write off Warmode as something they tried but didn't work and next expansion we'll see the return of PVE and PVP servers.

We won't ever be going back to PvE/PvP servers. Blizzard will just get rid of the bonuses and war mode traits and let people who want to PvP toggle it with War Mode. The only reason they won't do that now is that the Horde is so used to playing with the traits that taking them away now will cause a massive uproar. But I do think the +10% bonus is on its way to extinction. There's no way anyone can logically claim that it's fulfilling its intended purpose of making up for the lost time while leveling/questing in War Mode. It's basically a "you're special" buff for 1/2 of the game's player base.
08/30/2018 02:08 PMPosted by Rislyn

We won't ever be going back to PvE/PvP servers. Blizzard will just get rid of the bonuses and war mode traits and let people who want to PvP toggle it with War Mode. The only reason they won't do that now is that the Horde is so used to playing with the traits that taking them away now will cause a massive uproar. But I do think the +10% bonus is on its way to extinction. There's no way anyone can logically claim that it's fulfilling its intended purpose of making up for the lost time while leveling/questing in War Mode. It's basically a "you're special" buff for 1/2 of the game's player base.
Thing is things have gone so far even if they removed ALL the benefits of warmode I doubt anything would change.

Warmode would still be Horde-mode
Non-Warmode would still be Alliance-mode

Players all want to group with and see their friends. If you're horde your friends are in Horde-mode. If you're Alliance your friends are in Alliance-mode.

The distinction between the 2 modes is so pronounced it's probably unfixable.
I just recorded a video of me showing a bunch of ally in War Mode on my server cluster, the prob isn't so much they aren't opting in its more they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Pvp needs to be for pvper's, thing is blizz dont want to admit this is the games less desired feature due to all their race / faction imbalance fk ups they have done over the years. Some people mostly blame the racials but honestly i have had little issue killing a troll or an orc without a good racial to back me up. The big thing is the negative attitude that happens so fast the second people start getting ganked or overpowered.

so in short, its more the community thats the problem than anything else, if ally on your shard isnt actually pvping then its prob because they believe that horde is this scary unstoppable force and theres no point. I know a few horde players would like to play into this fantasy but sadly that is all that it is, in truth most horde i encounter are really not that hard to fight solo which i presume is why they team up so much.

in fact i will go as far to say that no matter your faction if you feel you need 10+ people for something that isnt a raid on opposite factions leader in a city then my guess is you really arent that good at playing your character pvp wise. 5 well trained players that work as a team can easily hold off a bunch of quick hashed gankers that are blindly killing anything they see.

Thing is things have gone so far even if they removed ALL the benefits of warmode I doubt anything would change.

Warmode would still be Horde-mode
Non-Warmode would still be Alliance-mode

Players all want to group with and see their friends. If you're horde your friends are in Horde-mode. If you're Alliance your friends are in Alliance-mode.

The distinction between the 2 modes is so pronounced it's probably unfixable.

Not true. There are a lot of Horde (possibly the majority) that only have War Mode on because they're getting the +10% buff with little risk. Turn that off, and those people will go back to PvE. You can tell because when Alliance group up and fight back, most of those Horde players end up getting creamed or call in 10+ of their Horde buddies to gain an unfair advantage.
... There are a lot of Horde (possibly the majority) that only have War Mode on because they're getting the +10% buff with little risk. Turn that off, and those people will go back to PvE...
I disagree.

Right now horde gets to keep Warmode on for basically zero risk.

They aren't just getting the 10% buff to reps and exp. They also get the following advantages:
  • Playing with their friends - all their friends on Warmode (Horde-mode). If they turned it off, they can't see their friends. Why turn it off when there is virtually no cost to leaving it on?
  • They get to use the PVP talents while they are out in the world.
  • They get the parachute dropped loot.
horde just out number alliance, its not an issue with the server sharding. its literally an issue of just horde>alliance. I have been looking into this and hardcore players prefer horde over ally because their racials are just better pvp and pve wise.

the horde have taken 2 racail nerfs over 10 years, meanwhile the alliance has had every race beside worgen (base races not allied) nerfed. its just ridiculous and stupid that they didnt decide to balance the racials first before introducing warmode.
08/30/2018 05:07 PMPosted by Mistwynd
... There are a lot of Horde (possibly the majority) that only have War Mode on because they're getting the +10% buff with little risk. Turn that off, and those people will go back to PvE...
I disagree.

They aren't just getting the 10% buff to reps and exp. They also get the following advantages:
  • Playing with their friends - all their friends on Warmode (Horde-mode). If they turned it off, they can't see their friends. Why turn it off when there is virtually no cost to leaving it on?

Odds are if they get rid of the 10% buff, they'll probably do something about the talents, possibly give them to everyone in open world regardless of being flagged for War Mode. Nothing Blizzard does will fix this outside of making the perks available to everyone regardless of participating in War Mode. Then those who really want to PvP can PvP, and those who don't wish to can quest in peace.
08/30/2018 10:47 AMPosted by Altherious
What is going on in Warmode. I just went to do the Tidesage WQ for Champions of Azeroth and waited for 6 respawns because between each respawn, 4-7 new horde would show up and not a single alliance player came through. Its not just that world quest, its every world quest. Rotbough is another example. Is alliance just flat out not using War Mode or is there a legit problem with the number balancing? I can't do anything in warmode because every world quest has 5 full groups of horde at any given time, while only 3-4 individual alliance are floating around. Anyone else experiencing this?

I just came to the forums to complain about this exact thing. Something must be done to balance these servers overrun. Give us tenacity, bring in alliance players. GIVE US SOMETHING. 10-1 horde is meaningless and not with it. Give us a buff that helps us with WQ AFTER killing horde.
08/30/2018 05:07 PMPosted by Mistwynd
...I disagree.

Odds are if they get rid of the 10% buff, they'll probably do something about the talents, possibly give them to everyone in open world regardless of being flagged for War Mode. Nothing Blizzard does will fix this outside of making the perks available to everyone regardless of participating in War Mode. Then those who really want to PvP can PvP, and those who don't wish to can quest in peace.

People are just getting farmed. They can do better than this.
Alliance would more likely keep the war buff on if Horde players didn't consistently have 5/10 man gank squads rolling in every zone for 12 hours of the day.

Most Alliance players I have talked to don't have a problem getting ganked once every so often, but when you are trying to do a world quest and get:

1: Jumped while fighting mobs
2. Ganked by roaming 5 man
3. Interrupted in an honorable 1v1 by another horde
4.Ganked by an entirely different 5 man

All while doing one WQ, the amount of time lost from 4 deaths outweighs the 10% bonus.

The only solutions are to
1. Give alliance a bigger than 10% buff
2. Apply old Wintersgrasp buff

A 50/50 population split won't even do it when you have the horde forming 5 man gank squads and most alliance not bothering to group / the horde just leaving and reforming 10 or so min later after one kill by the alliance zerg, wasting time again.
WG buff will immediately ruin all pvp for me, no thanks.

I want sharding fixed so I can actually find pvp.
But I do think the +10% bonus is on its way to extinction.
I don't care about the +10% bonus as much as I care about the extra talents.

Gaining access to 3 new talents which should be BASELINE for all classes is just dumb.

08/30/2018 06:49 PMPosted by Shiyolangley
Sharding can't fix the completely whack ratios. If e.g. we're talking 100 alliance vs 1000 horde, the best sharding can do is create a shard where it's 100 horde vs 100 alliance...while the other 900 horde will be placed in empty shards that have no alliance and you will never see any PvP.
Its funny,

I was going into Brennan for the first time and the first Alliance Quest something big happens. I thought "Yaye I"m going to be a big hero and save the day.."

Then I phase in and get rolled repeatedly by 3-5 horde.

Sufficed to say it was a buzz-kill; that being said I kind of blame myself for the fact I have left Warmode on the entire time (mostly because I like having the extra talents)
08/30/2018 06:49 PMPosted by Shiyolangley
WG buff will immediately ruin all pvp for me, no thanks.

lol it's not sharding.