Here's a "Footman's Cleaver" for your trouble

General Discussion
So.
This isn't about wanting a great item.
This isn't about being ungrateful.
I get it .. but I don't get it.

We are champions of the Alliance/Horde
We have defeated the Burning Legion.
We've just seen Teldrassil and Undercity destroyed in two epic confrontations.
We return to our leaders and are given weapons in appreciation for our aid
And the names of the item given are things like
"Footman's Cleaver" or "Grunt's Axe"

So wait. let me get this straight.
I am now a Footman!?!? I am now a Grunt?!?!
This isn't about the iLvl at all. It's about the name of the item.
And no lvl 110 character is a footman at all.
These are some grizzled, experience, battle hardened, scarred folks.

It could have easily been something like:
[weapon type] of the Alliance
[weapon type] of the Horde
[weapon type] of the Siege
Defenders [weapon type]
Hero's [weapon type]
Champion's [weapon type]

Those names may already exist but these names could have been better.
Picky? DEFINITELY. I'm not going to say its not picky to say this. But c'mon guys.

Am I alone here?
Anywho. Just a though :)
We're just pawns to the powers that be. No respect, no choice. Just told to go here and do this for a few meager pennies.
ADVENTURERS, RISE UP.
With ya! We were commanders of our classes and now we are grunt/footmen/apprentices. Hahaha.
You aren't a Footman.

You just have his cleaver.
You may want to roleplay as a great hero but you aren't. You are 3/11 LFR and you should be glad to get a footman's cleaver.
08/10/2018 03:51 AMPosted by Cyonan
You aren't a Footman.

haha. You know that's one way to look at it.

"STORMWIND GAZETTE HEADLINE"
"Heroes and Champions of Azeroth donate tens of thousands of weapons collected form the Burning of Teldrassil and Siege of Undercity, to the Stormwind armory by way of vendors around the remaining allied cities"
08/10/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Gallain
So.

Defenders [weapon type]
Hero's [weapon type]
Champion's [weapon type]

Picky? DEFINITELY. I'm not going to say its not picky to say this. But c'mon guys.

Am I alone here?

I used to be a champion like you, then I took an expansion to the knee.

Edit to add sustenance:

I like this change. I don’t want to be a Deathlord amongst Deathlords. I want to be one of many. I want the world to feel expansive and that I’m a small part of it - but a part nonetheless. I can be a bad___ warbringer without needing to be a hero of the Faction.

I like the salt-of-the-earth approach. And Light knows we can be salty from time to time.
08/10/2018 03:54 AMPosted by Rainwater
You may want to roleplay as a great hero but you aren't. You are 3/11 LFR and you should be glad to get a footman's cleaver.

Not the "you should be glad" line.
I am glad I got a reward.
Quests should give rewards

But that line of thinking is a bit flawed as it implies, only the reward matters and not the name.

So of "Doomhammer" was called "Orcy Orcy Boom Guy's Nail Driver" you'd be good with that?

If "Frostmourne" was called "The Frozen Sharpthing of zombie making" you'd be cool with that?

Look. I understand the idea that getting anything at all is good. I get it.

But let's face it. This is a fantasy MMORPG (with some sci-fi elements) and our character get stronger and more notable as they progress from 1 to 110.

The names of the items of our quest rewards matter. Period.
This one, in my opinion, is odd.
I don't know what you're complaining about. They gave us gold too.
Its 'cause we serve the narrative instead of making our own. I really hate the shift from WoD forward where we are -THE- chosen one of whatever campaign and then become a John Doe a year later.
They over did the stat nerf. The weapons at 180 are worse than lich king ones from 10 years ago. I k ow it's just number but it bothers me. Why arent they 210 like darkshore quests ar least.
08/10/2018 03:51 AMPosted by Cyonan
You aren't a Footman.

and somehow that Cleaver is better than your artifact weapon
08/10/2018 03:54 AMPosted by Lilywhite
I like this change. I don’t want to be a Deathlord amongst Deathlords. I want to be one of many. I want the world to feel expansive and that I’m a small part of it - but a part nonetheless. I can be a bad___ warbringer without needing to be a hero of the Faction.

Agreed 100%. I hate the "chosen one" crap we're constantly fed on a platter. I wanna be Shadina the priest. Not Shadina the High Priestess of all Priests. That's just annoying.
08/10/2018 03:54 AMPosted by Lilywhite
08/10/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Gallain
So.

Defenders [weapon type]
Hero's [weapon type]
Champion's [weapon type]

Am I alone here?

I used to be a champion like you, then I took an expansion to the knee.

Edit to add sustenance:

I like the salt-of-the-earth approach. And Light knows we can be salty from time to time.

I wouldn't mind this either.
It's just a consistency issue.
They made us heroes already.
We walk up to Warchief's and Kings and Faction Leaders like its the thing to do.
We've stood in the presence of Elemental Lords, Gods, Titans, Aspects.
I think we're a little beyond salt of the earth.

I feel like we're either always footmen and soldier or we're heroes and leaders.
But the game has made footmen and soldiers RISE to that renown and leadership through deeds that have lead us to be Exalted amongst many tribes and factions. You kinda cant go back.

"Oh look! there's Footman Frodo!"
"Pshhh! Back of the line, Gandalf! Pshh .. scrub. 'you shall not pass bro!"
You will vendoring or disenchanting it all in less then a week. It’s not like you’ll be carrying it around through the 1st raid tier, or probably even into the first dungeon.

I get your point, but how many great names are left for 36 specs worth of weapons that get trashed within 10 days?
yeah well back in vanilla all we got was a stick!
08/10/2018 04:23 AMPosted by Zypher
You will vendoring or disenchanting it all in less then a week. It’s not like you’ll be carrying it around through the 1st raid tier, or probably even into the first dungeon.

I get your point, but how many great names are left for 36 specs worth of weapons that get trashed within 10 days?

To reiterate its not about the ilvl or anything.
It's strictly about the storytelling element.
It's about what this implies.
Everything we get is destined for the trash bin. Thats how it goes.
It's just that lvl 110 characters who have done what our characters have done, cannot possibly be mere Footmen.

If you want your character to be "Joe soldier" and not "Joe who has 50 titles, 40 Exalted reputations who defeated the burning legion, killed the corrupted dragon aspect Ysera, cleansed the emerald nightmare, defeated Xavius, sacked Orgrimmar, cleansed pandaria of the sha, slew Deathwing, defeated Illidan, Archimonde, Kil'Jaden, Ragnaros, Malygos <takes deep breath> fought in all recent wars, holds audience with royalty like its the thing to do is hailed as hero by citizens in every city" then .. reroll a new toon.

Because that stuff? ^
Doesn't go away.
I guess what doesn't make sense is that these quest rewards aren't even a unique mog and the Darkshore WQs award 210 weapons, which are better.
I didn't even want good gear, not in the slightest: I think I'm decently geared as-is and I just wanted something to remember the event by.

...So you give me a old model blue that's been in the game since I believe Cataclysm? And I can only sell it for 6 gold?

Now the only thing I can remember from the Siege is that Anduin almost got us killed 3 separate times and everything was for more or less nothing.
If you want the short answer.... you are who Blizzard wants you to be... you'll never be in a book, you will never be referenced... you are a nameless person doing things that either a hero or a named npc would do.