Here's a "Footman's Cleaver" for your trouble

General Discussion
Npc in new expansion: Hello hero we have heard many tales of your great deeds. Your name is known far and wide. Can you go collect this poop for me? I'll give you 30 silver for your troubles.

Sadly this stuff is just how mmos are.
08/10/2018 04:44 AMPosted by Marlockie
If you want the short answer.... you are who Blizzard wants you to be... you'll never be in a book, you will never be referenced... you are a nameless person doing things that either a hero or a named npc would do.

That much is clear.
These are obvious and not part of my expectations.
Shouldn't be part of anyone's expectations.
A fair expectation is to have something sensible.
Blizzard's ongoing story, is that these characters are 'Champions' rising from nothing to stand next to Kings and aid them (albeit namelessly) as such.

But we are not "Grunts" and "Footmen" as these weapon rewards state.
It's all in a name.
Again, Blizzard, by their own storytelling, wants us to be "Champions" and "Heroes"

Champion
noun
a person who has defeated or surpassed all rivals in a competition
a person who fights or argues for a cause or on behalf of someone else

verb
support the cause of; defend

Hero
noun
a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

vs

Grunt
noun
a low-ranking or unskilled soldier or other worker.

Footman
noun
a soldier in the infantry

enormous difference.

again .. I am being picky.
But i admire details and think they help build consistency and help me understand, as a player, my role in the story. Nameless or otherwise.

All comments here are appreciated, btw.
All good :)
08/10/2018 04:47 AMPosted by Keldica
Npc in new expansion: Hello hero we have heard many tales of your great deeds. Your name is known far and wide. Can you go collect this poop for me? I'll give you 30 silver for your troubles.

Sadly this stuff is just how mmos are.

Literally made me laugh out loud.
Spot on.
Sad, but true.

or is it..

Truly sad..?
08/10/2018 04:24 AMPosted by Wyspers
yeah well back in vanilla all we got was a stick!

And if you were really good, you got three sticks that were taped together.
08/10/2018 03:54 AMPosted by Lilywhite
08/10/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Gallain
So.
This isn't about wanting a great item.
This isn't about being ungrateful.
I get it .. but I don't get it.

We are champions of the Alliance/Horde
We have defeated the Burning Legion.
We've just seen Teldrassil and Undercity destroyed in two epic confrontations.
We return to our leaders and are given weapons in appreciation for our aid
And the names of the item given are things like
"Footman's Cleaver" or "Grunt's Axe"

So wait. let me get this straight.
I am now a Footman!?!? I am now a Grunt?!?!
This isn't about the iLvl at all. It's about the name of the item.
And no lvl 110 character is a footman at all.
These are some grizzled, experience, battle hardened, scarred folks.

It could have easily been something like:
[weapon type] of the Alliance
[weapon type] of the Horde
[weapon type] of the Siege
Defenders [weapon type]
Hero's [weapon type]
Champion's [weapon type]

Those names may already exist but these names could have been better.
Picky? DEFINITELY. I'm not going to say its not picky to say this. But c'mon guys.

Am I alone here?
Anywho. Just a though :)

I used to be a champion like you, then I took an expansion to the knee.

Edit to add sustenance:

I like this change. I don’t want to be a Deathlord amongst Deathlords. I want to be one of many. I want the world to feel expansive and that I’m a small part of it - but a part nonetheless. I can be a bad___ warbringer without needing to be a hero of the Faction.

I like the salt-of-the-earth approach. And Light knows we can be salty from time to time.
dude. This character didnt even join in the last expansion and shes still slayed old gods and the lich king oh and an elemental lord and like 4 dragon gods.

We are so far above fodder its not even funny.
BFA pre-launch is pretty lackluster compared to Legion pre-launch.
They're meant to be weapons for new 110s to get to go into BFA with, since they won't have artifacts with relics in them.

They're not meant to be upgrades for people with decent relic'd artifacts.
So why does a footman get an axe? I never seen 1 footman where an axe. Axes are for horde.

Horde bias confirmed. :')
08/10/2018 05:46 AMPosted by Maizou
They're meant to be weapons for new 110s to get to go into BFA with, since they won't have artifacts with relics in them.

You're missing the point of my post.
I mentioned initially that this isn't about iLvl
It's about the name of the weapon and how its unbefitting of Champions and Heroes.
Giving a 110 (i.e. an in game, Blizzard intended, Champion/Hero) a "Footman's", "Apprentices" or "Grunt's" axe implies that the character is no longer a celebrated accomplished champion / hero but is now, a lowly "Footman" or "Grunt".

The name of these weapons, particularly considering when we got them, should be more fitting and reflective of both the character's established station as a hero and the moment / event in which it was received.

It lessens the impact and cheapens the moment for all involved.
Just to add insult to injury.......they were left overs from the Broken Shore........
08/10/2018 05:46 AMPosted by Maizou

I mean, one could get something way better just by doing the Darkshore World Quests. 210 minimum.

I think the best way to compare this is to the attack on Theramore: We got a unique tabard to help us remember the event, even if it had no actual value as gear.

I think that's what people were expecting: Just something celebrating the event, not just a reused model weapon.
08/10/2018 03:48 AMPosted by Wololoa
We're just pawns to the powers that be. No respect, no choice. Just told to go here and do this for a few meager pennies.

I'd actually prefer to be an adventurer than a chrono-dimensional hopping, god slaying 5 star general savior of the planet.
1) Obviously the reference is to the Warcraft units, which is kinda fun and fits the theme of the expansion.

2) That item isn’t for you. Not really. The rewards here are lower than the Darkshore catch-up gear for a reason- they’re the intro-to-the-expansion quest chain for freshly boosted 110s, who start with 150 gear.

The message is that you’ve just been recruited, welcome to the war, for new and returning players. Hence it’s less-than-exalted status.
Well, now we are FNGs on a new team and have to prove ourselves all over again. HOOYAH!
08/10/2018 05:43 AMPosted by Daladoren

can't even compare..

hands down this is prob the worst pre patch in my opinion, others will disagree but it is what is.
08/10/2018 04:18 AMPosted by Glamlamb
08/10/2018 03:51 AMPosted by Cyonan
You aren't a Footman.

You just have his cleaver.
and somehow that Cleaver is better than your artifact weapon

Considering your artifact just lost all it's power and is now little more than a husked out stick? Yeah the weapon that actually does a damn is gonna be better.
08/10/2018 06:45 AMPosted by Xyona
08/10/2018 05:43 AMPosted by Daladoren

can't even compare..

hands down this is prob the worst pre patch in my opinion, others will disagree but it is what is.

All that I can recall from the Legion prepatch was going to the same few places and grinding invasions. It was good for the fact that I was able to level up 2 characters in preparation but I don't think it was quite as epic and engaging as some would have me believe. I'm enjoying the events of this prepatch even if there isn't much to do.
I remember threads from the first half of Legion about how people were tired of being the Supreme High Commander and just wanted to be a grunt or foot soldier again.

So, there you go. We were not the decisive figures in this battle, we were part of the army, maybe a prominent champion. But not the leader.

That's fine, honestly. We can have moments of leadership and being the focus of the story, and we can have moments that allow us to fade into the background a bit and let the prominent NPCs take the spotlight.
08/10/2018 06:39 AMPosted by Whysilyn
1) Obviously the reference is to the Warcraft units, which is kinda fun and fits the theme of the expansion.

2) That item isn’t for you. Not really. The rewards here are lower than the Darkshore catch-up gear for a reason- they’re the intro-to-the-expansion quest chain for freshly boosted 110s, who start with 150 gear.

The message is that you’ve just been recruited, welcome to the war, for new and returning players. Hence it’s less-than-exalted status.

but that character in the world is still level one hundred and ten, when they get that weapon. Even if boosted, they are still Heroes and Champions in the eyes of Kings and Warchiefs. They are not, by any means or stretch of the imagination, Foot Soldiers, Apprentices or Grunts.

it doesn't matter if we as players want them to be saviors of the world or grunts.
They are Champions and Heroes.

These weapons are poorly named and are not reflective of the characters station in the world and certainly not reflective of the moment. Someone mentioned the Theramore Tabard. Perfect Example. Another perfect example is the Tabard of the Protector for participating in the Battle for the Dark Portal which I have as well.

Something along those lines would have been pitch perfect.
Even make it something that you cant get after a time. Just like the Theramore Tabard.
Both are no longer available but if you were there for the moment, its an awesome keepsake.

Something. Anything other than "Footman's Axe"
08/10/2018 03:54 AMPosted by Lilywhite
I used to be a champion like you, then I took an expansion to the knee.

OMFG I am going to save that line. It sums up everything perfectly.