How do the xp gems work?

General Discussion
Can you stack as many as you've got slots for? Or are they capped at 1? I got fairly lucky at gem slot forging RNG with the 210 darkshore gear on a few toons. I've got a couple with five or six gem slots that I could potentially power stack all xp gems if its allowed.
No can only equip 1. it won't even let you do more than that.
They are Unique-Equipped so you can only have one.
They really should change it so they stack. Let people rush their alts. It would also increase their value + make 3 socketed legendaries have value.

A 5% XP gem reduces a 20 hour grind by 1 hour. It's barely better than a placebo.

Also maybe unlock a 3 socketed heirloom when you get a character to 120 or something.
08/15/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Zenetta
They really should change it so they stack. Let people rush their alts. It would also increase their value + make 3 socketed legendaries have value.

A 5% XP gem reduces a 20 hour grind by 1 hour. It's barely better than a placebo.

Also maybe unlock a 3 socketed heirloom when you get a character to 120 or something.
na

You think so? We're talking half a level by 120.
08/16/2018 11:23 AMPosted by Tomplspayme

You think so? We're talking half a level by 120.

And that's like what, half an hour's worth of quests? Definitely not worth the insane prices people were paying at launch, but I see now they've dropped to 10g on my server which I guess is reasonable.
08/16/2018 11:30 AMPosted by Moranaa

And that's like what, half an hour's worth of quests? Definitely not worth the insane prices people were paying at launch, but I see now they've dropped to 10g on my server which I guess is reasonable.

Hmm... It's possible I value my time more than you value yours. 30 minutes is 30 minutes I could be doing something other than meaningless questing. 30 minutes is a Mythic dungeon, multiple world quests, you name it. For a socket - something that saves me 30 minutes is pretty valuable.

Then again, you're still level 110.
Lol I have characters that are well into BFA content, I didn't think my level would matter to anyone so yea, I'm posting on this toon. I just don't see what difference 30 minutes makes when we have about 1,051,900 minutes to experience end-game content.
08/16/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Tomplspayme

Hmm... It's possible I value my time more than you value yours. 30 minutes is 30 minutes I could be doing something other than meaningless questing. 30 minutes is a Mythic dungeon, multiple world quests, you name it. For a socket - something that saves me 30 minutes is pretty valuable.

Lol get over yourself. 30 minutes is *nothing*, no matter who you are. Nobody is that busy.
08/16/2018 11:50 AMPosted by Sven

Lol get over yourself. 30 minutes is *nothing*, no matter who you are. Nobody is that busy.

I'd argue that isn't true. We are all personal economists here and we all place different values on our time. If I can save 30 minutes by putting a gem into a piece of gear, I'm going to do it. You will too.

30 minutes is quite a bit to people that can only play an hour or two a day. We're talking half to a quarter or their whole playtime. To someone who can sit and play all day every day, of course, 30 minutes means less to them.

Does 30 minutes mean nothing to someone who makes minimum wage? Their time is certainly less valuable than someone who makes substantially more. How much value does Bill Gates place on his 30 minutes?

How about to people competing and racing for content completion on various leader boards? 30 minutes is substantial. Do you get a little angrier when you have to sit in traffic for an extra 30 minutes? You shouldn't, because no one is that busy... apparently.

It's 10 freaking levels. 10. Some of the fastest leveling we have seen
1 zone and I'm 115 without warmode. What are you thinking?
08/16/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Tomplspayme
If I can save 30 minutes by putting a gem into a piece of gear, I'm going to do it. You will too.

Nah. Some of us actually like leveling slowly and enjoying the content.

No point honestly. That would make a piece of gear highly valuable while leveling. At some point, you would question if the exp is worth the decrease in stats.
Uh, what are these gems you guys are talking about? Serious question, I don't know anything about any xp gems nor have I seen any...
Insightful Rubelite or whatnot.
08/16/2018 12:03 PMPosted by Lorianth
If I can save 30 minutes by putting a gem into a piece of gear, I'm going to do it. You will too.

Nah. Some of us actually like leveling slowly and enjoying the content.
Then don't use the gem? That isn't a hard concept by any means.

To add to the other person, these are usable in any item that is ilevel 100 or higher. You can get that gear starting easily in cata raids, at level 85. Pop one of these gems into a piece of gear starting at 85, and you will save a lot more then just 30 minutes of time over the entire process.
08/16/2018 12:07 PMPosted by Mikazaki
Uh, what are these gems you guys are talking about? Serious question, I don't know anything about any xp gems nor have I seen any...

Rubellite gems. I've had 2 drop scrapping BFA gear.

Could have, didn't. Still hit 120 before the weekend.

We're talking half to a quarter or their whole playtime.

Of one session. In the grand scheme of things, in a world with weekly lockouts and raid that won't even be release for a couple more weeks 30 minutes is, again, *nothing*

Does 30 minutes mean nothing to someone who makes minimum wage? Their time is certainly less valuable than someone who makes substantially more. How much value does Bill Gates place on his 30 minutes?

We're not talking work time here. This is recreational time. Do you mean to imply that anyone's work schedule is determined by their gaming schedule?

How about to people competing and racing for content completion on various leader boards? 30 minutes is substantial.]

I'll give you that one, but how many of us does that really apply to?

[/quote]Do you get a little angrier when you have to sit in traffic for an extra 30 minutes? You shouldn't, because no one is that busy... apparently.[/quote]

I mean, this is purely anecdotal evidence, but no I don't get angry about things I can't control like sitting in traffic. Especially if the jam is caused by a wreck because that means that somebody is having a much worse day than me.

Maybe it's just because I'm getting older(38 last month), but I stand by what I said, a half hour here or there is pretty meaningless. If we're talking about saving a couple hours or more, then it would be a different story, but we're talking .02% of one day, .002% of a week, and .00005% of a year.

Again, nobody is that busy.
08/16/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Tomplspayme

As a preface: I enjoy the leveling experience in BfA, so I'm going to value my time-vs-activity differently.

I suspect that's probably it. I think everyone has a personal 'metric' to how they value their time. Not that one is inherently better than the other, of course! That is to say, valuing your time more isn't inherently 'better' than valuing it less, assuming you're both getting to something you want to do and aren't upset about the transition.

For myself, I tend not to think about whether I value my time in an active sense. More murky, like "does this feel too long" or "is this too short". So, on the one hand, the idea of something that saves me 30 minutes sounds fine, but it's also not something I feel is a big deal, as long as I'm having fun in both situations.

I think one thing of note is that some people are looking at end game and thinking "there are no LFR's or M+ yet" and feeling like there's no reason to rush. If you're not feeling rushed to max, then saving time to max is inherently going to feel less valuable of course. They're happy being 'middle of the pack' where the majority of players currently still are.

If you're not power leveling, and you're doing things like crafting/gathering/etc while leveling, then it's not necessarily going to take off the same amount of 'time' to max.

Either way:

The gem doesn't stack, but if you feel like saving 30 minutes or so is useful, go for it.