Personal Loot - Weapon Confusion

Customer Support
While doing a heroic dungeon, a 325 staff dropped for me. I had a 340 main hand and a 325 offhand at the time and tried to trade the staff to our resto druid healer but found I could not.

I opened a ticket and received the following response.

"While I do understand that you may have an item that is equal or higher item level than the item that you received. However one common point of confusion is that the criteria for items is based off of each spec. If you have a higher item level of one spec and then receive a lower item level item that is for a different spec it will be an upgrade for that other spec.

This is intended and not something that we can circumvent and bypass the system to trade the item for you. I can confirm that we have verified the loot trading system is working properly and if the system will not let you trade an item it means this is due to it being an upgrade for a different spec than the item you currently have."

I am a bit confused as to what they mean by "the criteria for items is based off of each spec." since the staff in question is on the loot table for all 3 priest specializations.
From my understanding of personal loot - I had an item of a higher ilvl in my weapon slot so I should have been able to trade the weapon in question.

Thank you in advance for any help!
08/17/2018 01:36 PMPosted by Xraychickens
I am a bit confused as to what they mean by "the criteria for items is based off of each spec." since the staff in question is on the loot table for all 3 priest specializations.
From my understanding of personal loot - I had an item of a higher ilvl in my weapon slot so I should have been able to trade the weapon in question.

The basics on his personal loot trading works can be found in our Support Article here.

Basically, the system considers the equipment you have acquired in that spec. Meaning, if the item you looted isn't better than an item you previously looted in that same spec (regardless of if the item can be used in multiple specs), you won't be able to trade it.

I hope that makes sense.
I'm afraid its a bit confusing still - i've never encountered a problem like this using personal loot for all of legion. Let me see if I understand:

I loot a 350 chest piece with my loot spec as shadow
I go heal a dungeon as holy and loot a 340 chest piece
I cant trade that 340 chest piece because I looted it as holy?
08/17/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Xraychickens
I loot a 350 chest piece with my loot spec as shadow
I go heal a dungeon as holy and loot a 340 chest piece
I cant trade that 340 chest piece because I looted it as holy?

As I understand it, that should be correct. If you were in Holy spec and if you hadn't looted a higher item in your Holy spec that 340 would be the highest you have received.

The system basically keeps track of the ilvl that you have looted in the spec that you looted it in.
Ok, thank you for the clarification!

I must say its a bit worrisome to see this though.
Was this a change implemented in BFA? I don't remember ever encountering this in legion.

Do you happen to have some insight into the reasoning behind this? It would seem to only frustrate my group when I quest/raid as shadow and then swap to holy for the odd dungeon and I cant trade most of the gear I receive even if it is all downgrades.

Thank you again for being so helpful!
We likely are seeing more of the trading restrictions due to the change in gear. In legion gear would swap stats depending on what spec your in. BFA gear doesn't do that so it will be affecting the way personal loot works id imagine.
#FREEUSFROMLOOTRESTRICTION
08/17/2018 09:03 PMPosted by Germez
#FREEUSFROMLOOTRESTRICTION
#POSTONGENERALDISCUSSION
.... the ONLY possible reason for this change Xray is to prevent targeting gear. If you and i go into a dungeon i cant change my loot spec to resto to help you get a BIS trinket or something (If i dont already have an item looted as the spec in that spot.) Basically Blizzard would rather the RNG system they have implemented give you the same cloak every week instead of allow one of your friends assist you in getting a piece of gear.
Wait so you have to loot let's say 3 cloaks of the same item level before you can trade any to someone else? Thought they tried crap like that in legion for a bit but smartened up and fixed it.