Jewelcrafting BFA - Worthless...

Professions
ive been a jc since vanilla...and imho it worthless and dumping it for wow let us and most of us professions down many games ago.
08/24/2018 12:37 PMPosted by Sievre
Since PvP is the main focus of this expansion,

PvP is not the main focus, this expansion.

09/02/2018 04:11 PMPosted by Walkingdeath
ive been a jc since vanilla...and imho it worthless and dumping it for wow let us and most of us professions down many games ago.

jc was released in bc.
Jewelcrafters, like enchanters and alchemists, produce consumable items that will be in demand for the entire expansion. For every single raid tier players will need new gems to plunk into their fancy new gear. There may not be much demand right now, but I guarantee you that will change when Uldir amd M+ dungeons open up next week.

What do tailors, leatherworkers, and blacksmiths get to sell to other players all expansion long? Oh right: nothing. So those professions can make themselves a couple of BoP items by farming mythic dungeons for several weeks.

So that’s the tradeoff: you get viable consumables to sell, or you get to make yourself a useful piece of gear or two. Asking for both is just being greedy.

I agree that JCs should have some way of spending their hydrocores, but it shouldn’t be to craft themselves 355s.

And hey, if you really don’t like this tradeoff and would like to give up the ability to sell goods in order to get a 355 for yourself, it has literally never been easier to switch tradeskills amd level up a new one since you won’t need to craft up through several outdated expansions’ skill ranks anymore.
09/03/2018 01:28 AMPosted by Xon
Jewelcrafters, like enchanters and alchemists, produce consumable items that will be in demand for the entire expansion.
You do understand the gear has a incredibly low chance of getting a socket right? Jewelcrafting is NOT a reliable profession to make gold off of.
09/03/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Píppen
09/03/2018 01:28 AMPosted by Xon
Jewelcrafters, like enchanters and alchemists, produce consumable items that will be in demand for the entire expansion.
You do understand the gear has a incredibly low chance of getting a socket right? Jewelcrafting is NOT a reliable profession to make gold off of.

Sockets appearing more reliably on loot (we haven’t seen what things will look like with Uldir and M+ loot just yet) might well be a good step for JC. Giving JCs 355 BoP gear to craft, however, is not a good solution.
is anyone switching from jc to another profession?
If other classes can make gear pieces that are BoP then JC should be able to as well. Just make the materials required a lot higher so you don't see it as often or make it a step lower than 355, so maybe more around 340, so at least they can make things that would be useful for people looking to gear up their alts.

Regardless, gear really needs more sockets. The fact there are so few pieces of gear that need sockets and such a flood on the market of gems it's just not worth it at all. I'm sure if they gave JC an item that could add a socket it'd help. It's not like people are buying tons of gems and swapping them out every time they change their spec. At least not that I've seen.

I figured it up, on my server you'd have to prospect 1000g worth of ore to get one rare quality gem. Then those gems when cut sell for only 300g, 400g uncut. There's just no market. Legion was bad, but BFA is even worse.
08/24/2018 11:54 PMPosted by Mammuthus
I've made about a million off JC already, so saying its not profitable is a little out there. But the way they have krakens eyes set up, the gem it creates is unique. So the result is well... people only use one.

As it is the most expensive gem i'd imagine most players will throw it on their highest piece of gear they can. Which creates an issue where people aren't going out to buy more because they're not replacing that piece of armor.

I see that as actually a good thing for Jewelcrafting. For every kraken they don't buy, they buy a colored gem instead. We still sell the same number of gems, but with more variety.

While the chance to make a million in a month is probably gone at this point, the volume of the gem market is picking up with raiding starting. I don't know that Jewelcrafting will be something that one can reliably use to pay one's subscription, but I'm seeing modest but reasonably steady profits.

Now before we go saying they f@#'d JC its the start of the expansion I imagine they will be creating recipe drops for rings. This opens up a gateway to allow JC's to make high level rings, They can make lets say a ring require 3 krakens eye 10 of specific rare gems depending on the ring, maybe 20 of the basic gems at rank 3 this will create a huge demand for all gems.

As long as the recipes are BOE so they can be sold on the Auction House, fine. Requiring crafters to be epic raiders kind of misses the whole point of crafting.

Heres something else, why can't we create Speed gems, avoidance gems/leech gems. Hell make an indestructible gem that requires a krakens eye... useless yes but its something. 40 avoidance and leech aint much but it allows people to be different if they want.

We can create speed gems. The question is why we can't create slightly better speed gems from rares than from uncommons. The viridium speed gem doesn't seem to offer enough for people to take it seriously.

Avoidance and leech gems would be nice. It wouldn't help Jewelcrafters - we'd still sell the same number of gems since there would be the same number of sockets - but it would be nice from the point of allowing people to personalize their characters. Of course, Blizzard hates that because it makes arena and raid balancing more difficult for them - gotta make sure the 1% are well served, even if it means denying any fun to the 99%.

How about making something based on cut gems that will allow rerolling of secondary stats on equipment based on the gem color? Allow the use of yellow and purple gems to reroll an item to be "of the feverflare", etc. If they wanted, they could make it an enchant or inscription that used cut gems, which would help both Jewelcrafters and either Enchanters or Scribes. Plus, it would be really nice for all those folks out there who would like a little personalization.

Hell they could make it so theres a higher chance to roll prismatic sockets little things can make huge waves.

There are a few socketed items dropping; out of dozens of battleground drops I've gotten, one had a socket, which is the only reason I'm wearing it.

That said, while I can sort of understand why most gloves don't have gem sockets, I'm pretty appalled at the number of socketless ring drops. They ought to put a socket in every single ring that drops.
I 100% agree with the OP. JC needs some love. We have no 355 crafted gear recipes. Who at Blizz thought that this was a great idea?
JC is bad right now
laughs in engineering
09/15/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Teyla
I 100% agree with the OP. JC needs some love. We have no 355 crafted gear recipes. Who at Blizz thought that this was a great idea?

What do you propose Blacksmiths, Leatherworkers, and Tailors get if Jewelcrafting gets access to 355-craftable gear?
09/15/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Xon
09/15/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Teyla

What do you propose Blacksmiths, Leatherworkers, and Tailors get if Jewelcrafting gets access to 355-craftable gear?

Why does it matter, it's not like they are competing for the same gear slots.
09/15/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Caelle

It's a perk for those professions. They don't get to produce anything worth selling; Jewelcrafters get to cut gems to sell.
expansion focused on PvP? Ur Leveling might be but the game isnt
JC has been getting screwed over and over again, and BfA is just more of the same. Had I not already invested so much time and money into it, I would change my main's profession.
09/15/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Caelle

The real issue here is that you get pressure to take both Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing/Leatherworking/Tailoring. It would be better to give Jewelcrafting some lower ilvl epic items that are BOE, like ilvl 330 rings with hydrocore and ilvl 360 rings with sanguicell. Maybe give the 330 rings two sockets and the 360 rings three sockets.
08/27/2018 12:35 AMPosted by Naugi
I'm not at i305 yet, but I have yet to see any on my gear with sockets on them. Not one.

I'm at 340 ilvl now and still don't have a socket.
Yeah, not feeling the love here either. Considering that most other crafts have something useful to offer to the end game and JC has to rely on RNG rolls for items that may or may not award jem slots is annoying. The craft could certainly use some love and outside the box thinking from the Devs...