Jewelcrafting BFA - Worthless...

Professions
385 IN OTHER CRAFTS XD
These are the prices of all gems and ore on Area-52. You tell me what seems like a good idea.

Insightful Rubellite +5% Experience
[2g - 5g]

Straddling Viridium +3% Movement Speed
[16g - 20g]

Deadly Solstone +30 Critical Strike
[4g - 12g]

Quick Golden Beryl +30 Haste
[3g - 10g]

Masterful Kubiline +30 Mastery
[2g - 7g]

Versatile Kyanite +30 Versatility
[6g - 20g]

Deadly Amberblaze +40 Critical Strike
[75g - 92g]

Quick Owlseye +40 Haste
[599g - 720g]

Masterful Tidal Amethyst +40 Mastery
[18g - 23g]

Versatile Royal Quartz +40 Versatility
[48g - 55g]

Kraken's Eye of Agility +40 Agility
[1749g - 4218g]

Kraken's Eye of Intellect +40 Intellect
[1700g - 2826g]

Kraken's Eye of Strength +40 Strength
[1599g - 1850g]

WoW Token
[101,000g - 138,192g]

Platinum Ore
[23g - 40g]

Storm Silver Ore
[18g - 40g]

Monelite Ore
[20g - 45g]
That sad feel when i was selling epic BC gems at the end of BC for more then im selling epic gems in BFA for at the start of the exp.
To all the people claiming "but JC get to sell a comsumable all day long for the entire expansion"

Well, probably, yes gems are needed (sort of, RNG) the entire expansion but:

Looking at prices you may wonder why the damn thing still exist, it's possible to drop JC off your main character and just learn it on an alt, mail them some mats and make the 1-2 gems that you'll be using (if any), for comparison, alchemy on the other hand has ranks for their consumables, meaning they can produce extra comsumables (that comparing prices, sell for about the same amout as kraken eyes) and guess what? it is GARANTEED that you'll have the ability/need to use/consume a flask/potion, unlike gems

In short: JC has no benefits of being your main profession (because no ranks on consumables, uses for BoP crafting mats, unreliable usage due to RNG on gem slots and low sell price [compared to other consumables with 100% usage rate like pots and flask]) i'll be dropping my JC for alchemy probably (longer duration flask? count me the F*** in)
I love JC. I like the look of the gems and the act of prospecting to see what you get. I am very sad that I will be giving it up. It is not worth it. Alchemy has a much better turn out and purpose. Im leaking coin trying to keep myself flasked for raid and high keys and I have no way to regain that coin. When greens are worthless, blues only a couple of hundred gold and a krakens eye selling for the equivilant of one flask, there is no saving it. There is no wiating for m+ and raid to make it better. They did not save it as hoped and predicted by some. RIP JC. I will miss you.
I switched to Herbalism about two weeks ago. I was so sad at first since I had been a JC since WotLK, and the thought of giving up all those recipes made me sick. But since Blizz is determined to ruin JC, I had to come to an acceptance of that reality.
09/02/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Píppen
The biggest problem with Jewelcrafting is you could play BfA until the next expac hits and NOT ONCE get a socket on any of your gear. That's why Jewelcrafting has been nearly useless the last two expacs.

This is exactly the problem no other profession has to rely on extreme randomness. Since i have been max level i have had 1 item with a gem slot and it got replaced and haven't gotten another since. They should make all the other crafting professions rely on the same proc you cant use pots or flasks without said slot on your piece of gear. Could you imagine they wanted to tone down warforge and titanforge gear and the dragged the gem slots down with it since it works on the same system. If i didn't have so many gems on me right now i would just roll to alchemy cause lets face it alchemy will never have these issues. The gems aren't even really worth selling.

Maybe they should make it so we can craft a gem slot item to add a gem slot to a piece of gear though i feel like they would have to be unique 2 or 3 cause one would seem so minor it wouldn't matter. I know blacksmiths a while back could do the belt buckle. Now maybe we should be able to make them and it could use hyrdocores to make them. But then that would actually make jewelcrafting useful and lets face it. They don't want that.

I actually wonder if they read theses forums. I know they dont always like to post but they really havent said much about professions anywhere
Gear needs a higher probability to get a socket. My main has only seen 2 sockets (with heroic raiding and mythic+).
Alchemy has the highest consumption on its products, Enchanting like JC its a one time use, except that you don't rely on RNG to be able to enchant it.
But with JC, since legion, you need to have luck to get even 1 socket, and in the remote case you get it, you buy the epic gem rendering the rare gems almost worthless. Also we didn't get epic crafts like other profs, no use of hydrocore and sanguicell. It's kind of dumb not having good crafted rings.
We need either more sockets (lower the stats or whatever) or crafted rings, because currently JC is kind of dead.
I'm a Jewelcrafter since Legion on one of my toons and it seems much better now than in Legion but still is really underwhelming. At least we don't get any more gem chips that were 100% useless, except for that cooking recipe... But still, getting low rare gem rates and lots of uncommon ones makes the profession not profitable since you can sell the ore you used to prospect for more money than the gems, only the rare gems sell decent but you get more selling the ore at the end since those rare gems are really rare, and of course kraken's eye much more rare.
Now the usefulness of the profession has been always the socketable gems for me, they are a power up but like many of you say socket's are too random and rare in gear. If at least raid gear were guaranteed a socket or we could add sockets somehow it would be much better.
You can see how in the AH crafting gems sell higher than the cut gems, and ore sells even higher, this means the profession is not profitable like many others right now. Raw materials should never be higher than the actual crafted items which required effort and profession leveling investing lots of time and gold.
Did they increase the prospecting rate? Seems like prices were set to go up to something reasonable with the start of raiding, and then they collapsed instead.
09/26/2018 08:04 AMPosted by Yarrow
Did they increase the prospecting rate? Seems like prices were set to go up to something reasonable with the start of raiding, and then they collapsed instead.

i think more people just maxed out is all.

im sure like always the will add epic gems of course these will be worthless as well since ther will be so few gem slots
blizz has @$#!ed up most jobs are worthless and some show blatant favoritism! like engineering blacksmith and leather working ! the game has not been balanced since cataclysm ! " instead of making new content that sucks and breaks the game bring old content back " but as most this blizz wil not do any thing and not read any posts you know why $$$$ that is the bottum line people if blizz cared the game would have been defrent .... just look at what is on the blizzcon ticket a cape realy and a flag blizz has not just droped the ball hard thy poped it !
WHY DO JEWELCRAFTERS NOT HAVE A CRAFTED PIECE OF GEAR IN 8.1? What a turd of a profession.
11/09/2018 11:14 PMPosted by Bradybunch
WHY DO JEWELCRAFTERS NOT HAVE A CRAFTED PIECE OF GEAR IN 8.1? What a turd of a profession.
Because Jewelcrafting is not an armor crafting profession. It has one job and that is to make stat gems.
11/10/2018 03:24 AMPosted by Tyriaan
Because Jewelcrafting is not an armor crafting profession. It has one job and that is to make stat gems.

Why does Alchemy have a trinket? Alchemist's responsibility is to make potions and flasks, not gear, right? Heck, Jewelcrafters do make rings in BFA, why don't we have some sort of high level ring we can craft?

Outside of having a crafted piece why is there absolutely no benefit to JC. The gems are completely worthless (except Kraken's Eyes which are still really cheap). Most gems hover in the 50g-500g range, and 500g is if you're lucky with Haste gems. Not to mention gear doesn't come with gem slots anymore and a lot of people have MAYBE 1-2, one of my alts @ 360 doesn't have any. People just don't need gems. It seems JC is dead, with no hope in 8.1 I like most others are probably just going to drop it for Herbing or Alchemy. Other professions have some sort of cool unique benefit. Tailoring has cloak enchants to lower threat, cause you to not be dazed, etc. Enchanters can enchant their bracers to decrease hearth time, and hands to increase the rate of speed when gathering as well as crafting gear. JC literally has nothing, they even took mass prospect away from us!

Rumor is that jewelcrafters are getting a BoP 400/415 ring in 8.1. I would assume they are also getting new "savage" rings for PvP to replace the "honorable" rings from 8.0, following the same upgrade cycle we had in Mists.
New crafts are up on wowhead.

https://www.wowhead.com/jewelcrafting-spells?filter=21;1;80001#0-10+1+17

Crafted rings up to 415
11/13/2018 09:08 AMPosted by Meitai
New crafts are up on wowhead.

https://www.wowhead.com/jewelcrafting-spells?filter=21;1;80001#0-10+1+17

Crafted rings up to 415

So a new 340 staff, but no upgraded rings. Interesting.

Looks like the crystal market is going to flatline though.