Is WoW considered mainstream or weird/nerdy?

General Discussion
I ask this as someone considered cool and is consequently concerned about his image as a WoW gamer. I have admitted to playing many games to my peers, popular mainstream titles such as Fortnite and Skyrim, but after a recent experience I am reluctant to tell others that I secretly play WoW (approaching 5,000 hours /played) because I worry it could damage my social standing.

Last week I casually asked one of my gamer associates if he was going to buy Battle for Azeroth and he looked me in the eye and told me to never talk to him about WoW again. I was shocked and visibly shaken, and have not mentioned the game since.

I thought this game was mainstream because of all the celebrities who play it (Mr. T commercial) but after my recent experience I am afraid to tell anyone else that I play WoW because I worry it could damage my social standing. Is this fear justified?
It's for old folk. The game doesn't track with younger crowds anymore.
If you are worried about being cool, I hate to tell you... You were never cool.
Nelfs are never cool ;)
It was the hip thing to do in 2008-2010 when they had the really good commercials and marketing.

It's now for a niche audience of WoW veterans and people who dont like Battle Royales.
Only one of my irl friends know I play WoW, and that's because he plays, too. In fact, none of the rest know I am into gaming at all. It's my secret obsession I only do when I'm home alone.
I know tons of people that play WoW: my friends, people at my job, people I met years ago in college, my mail man, the milk guy, etc.

How would this hurt your social standing? It's like saying your afraid of admitting to people what you eat for breakfast out of fear that they may disrespect your decision for eating M&M's in milk every morning.
Wow is seen as nerdy by non-gamers and too mainstream by hardcore gamers lol.
Part of me feels like this is a troll, because this is just such delicious bait...

08/25/2018 08:46 AMPosted by Laihenditwo
I ask this as someone considered cool

but no, WoW isn't mainstream. Most PC oriented games aren't. So stick to big console games, like FIFA, Fortnite, etc.
08/25/2018 08:49 AMPosted by Moccoo
If you are worried about being cool, I hate to tell you... You were never cool.

I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.
Yes
Since when does what you play dictate your social standing?

Everyone plays video games, whether it be Pokemon Go, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Fortnite or WOW.. that you feel too nerdy to own up that you play something that you're passionate about because you feel too low with your peers' pecking order shouldn't keep you from admitting it!

That's just part of your maturity and growing up not caring what others think!
08/25/2018 08:55 AMPosted by Poothe
but no, WoW isn't mainstream. Most PC oriented games aren't. So stick to big console games, like FIFA, Fortnite, etc.

I agree with this.

If you don't want to be considered "nerdy", I'd just stick with consoles or smartphone games. Even some console games are considered "nerdy".

But honestly, if you're enjoying the game or any other type of hobby, not just gaming, who cares what others think.
Depends. Gaming in general is far more "mainstream" these days. Within the realm of gaming, WoW is by far the most mainstream mmo in the world. Minecraft has had its hayday and isn't talked about much. Fortnite is incredibly mainstream (and disgusting) but we don't know how it's going to age yet. WoW wins the overall award there imo.
I ask this as someone considered cool
Saying this is like the antithesis of being cool
I thought this game was mainstream because of all the celebrities who play it (Mr. T commercial) but after my recent experience I am afraid to tell anyone else that I play WoW because I worry it could damage my social standing. Is this fear justified?

Id say the fear is justified.

My friends fall into different buckets. I have friends that game who know I play WoW and I have no issues with it. I also have friends that love to go to parties, concerts, etc. that have never desired to play games and I'd never tell them about WoW and even go so far as to create two seperate desktops when I have them come over so they'd never see it. I know the reaction to it would be anything but positive or accepting.

It creates a weird lack of balance though. I would go to house parties every weekend during HS and when I came home I'd hop on WoW, same with college. It's weird to have dates over as I do the same thing with them as well. Even my headset is strategically placed so it's unseen unless you were actively looking for it, I have having to feel as if I need to hide something that has such a large presence in my life.

But with the friends I have and the women Ive dated I dont feel like theres a choice unless a person is on my approved list. I dont fit the 'stereotype' of a typical WoW player so its as if people dont expect that out of me. Maybe one day I'll find a woman that games or is tolerant of it but ive likely been looking in all the wrong places.
If you can't tell friends you play wow they are not real friends to begin with.

Also you dont just barely play you have 205 days of life in invested.

To put that in perspective my most played game is overwatch and I have 700 hours over two years and I consider that well above average.
It's not very popular anymore. You're considered "cool" if you play stuff like Fortnite and whatnot, and nobody knows what World of Warcraft is nowadays. My son plays WoW and he always asks classmates if they know what it is, and they mostly respond with no.
08/25/2018 09:20 AMPosted by Blessonline
If you can't tell friends you play wow they are not real friends to begin with.

True, but at the same time being friends with social butterflies has more perks than you'd imagine.

For example...
Want to do something on any given weekend? Hit them up and plans are made within minutes for something fun.
See a cute girl at a party/kickback/etc? Hit them up and I get detailed carfax.

I see it as a pros/cons thing. The pros still outweigh the cons.
I wouldn’t tell my friends I played wow, I haven’t and have no intention of it lmao I don’t think they’d know why I was randomly telling them either so it’s a non issue